Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonnyDonowitz

What is your ritual before a raid?

30 posts in this topic

Hello community,

I think the majority of raiders had those moments before a raid to get mentally prepared for the wipes, the progress and the banter.

For myself, I had thirty minutes before the raid started I would get on Raidcall, get my flasks and everything ready which usually took 10 minutes for me. And during the other twenty I would get some Monster Rehab (About three cans to last for the entire raid) put on some epic soundtrack (Two Steps from Hell was my standard choice as I was playing a warrior at the time and felt right with the theme) and just chill until I got the raid leaders call to arms.

I don't know but every time I did this I always had a good performance during the raid and every time I did not do it I always lacked in performance.

Just want to know if I'm not the only one who has some sort of pre-raid routine and what were yours if you have any?

Posted (edited)

I usually gather all the world buffs before raids together with guildies which takes about 30-45 min. (Yes, I'm a complete try hard :D)

I don't really have any "mental routine" for raiding. 

Regarding music, I'm probably in the minority when saying that I play a ton better without music (just in game sound - disabled in game music) so if I'm gonna try hard then it's without music. Then again it does make sense that I'm playing better without music since you react A LOT faster to sound than you do visually, and with music I won't be able to hear in game stuff (or voice coms) just as well. 

Edited by Cruzix

Usually doing officer/classleader stuff. Or helping to test a potentially new member in dungeon runs. Oh, an personal social stuff ingame.  Because during raid time I needed to focus and to prevent the noobs from noobing :P

Once we had a full raidzone on farm, I hanged out on skype with guildies to clear my head. 

I usually log in about half an hour to an hour ahead of time and farm mats, cause I'm to lazy to prepare ahead of time. Granted, that was  during MoP. That might not be enough time in Vanilla, I wouldn't know. Though based on the amount of materials people claim you need, I would make an educated guess and say "No."

Posted (edited)

I wonder how in hell did I end up in a raid.

Edited by ilovecats

Posted (edited)

I might go to DM and get buffs, then I port or hearth to org and wait for the ony buff, then I hearth to kargath or wait for a summon because my hearth is in org and in the meantime i can make sure i have the necessary healing and elemental protection potions and that I'm repaired; you can viably raid without every other consumable that doesn't give mana immediately when used or is a greater/dreamless sleep potion

I'm always in PvE spec

Edited by Aquane

My guild was super casual, but I was the alchemist so I joined TS3 and finished farming up any rare mats we needed for flasks and handed them out.

dont wanna sound pricky but I expected not to wipe. always played in high end guilds with high end prep.

I preped myself to death before raid and I expected this from my mates aswell. so you have a smooth raid

I'd typically listen to a playlist of disney songs and eat tyrkisk pebers. This was during WotLK/Cata, when I almost took raiding seriously.

Posted (edited)

Generally I would pull up a sheet on every boss within the raid we were about to tackle and just go over mechanics and timings. I'd think through previous runs and things that went wrong and how I could try them differently. Sometimes this involved theorycrafting with others in my raid group in dedicated chats to find tactics that aren't only the tried and true ways a boss goes down but also what would work for the group we had in front of us. Now I raided as a healer so we were very socially coordinated with how spells would be applied, to whom, and when. This of course involved the interesting or quirky moments we may need to set our mind to the task before us so if anything did go awry we wouldn't react poorly. This can be especially important I feel for a healers prep because there's an inherent amount of responsibility to keep the raid alive and you can end up feeling guilty for failure even when you've seen the issue fell somewhere else. So getting in the right frame of mind with other people I was about to go in with and hopping on some chat channels to start a fluid and friendly discourse with these folks as well was the biggest part of my prep for raids. 

Add in the necessary repair, food, water, flask or elixir crafting and boogy on over to the raid meetup (SW for Ony buff, raid entrance, etc).

Lock myself in my chair and become a zen HP vending machine for the next 3 hours minimum.

Edited by CaerBaer

I'd go smoke so I wouldn't be that guy holding up the whole raid with a 'smoke break'.

Log in 15 minutes after invites. Bother raid leader until I get an invite. Bribe a warlock to come outside and summon me, don't actually pay out the bribe.  No time for world buffs, keep my pvp spec, no fire protection potion.  In general no consumes, maybe a mana potion, maybe a health pot, maybe a single mongoose potion, level 56 pet on aggressive.  Usually try to get rez sickness too, never repair armor before heading in.

Nah but actually, I usually get all my world buffs and such the night before and then I logout at the entrance of the instance. That way I can just log in and get to raiding.  On my mage, I'll log in about 10 minutes earlier than my hunter to make water.  

Posted (edited)

On 3/10/2017 at 7:03 AM, ilovecats said:

Lol. Yep. 

My ritual?

1. Is my beer cold?

2. Is there enough beer?

3. Shit! Forgot to farm food. Off to AH. 

4. Turn on sports ball game on TV.

5. Get there 10 mins early, and then wait an hour for it to start. 

Edited by Ugondiss

IRL: I put on my lucky hat (a fishing boonie hat) and spin my chair 3 times.
Ingame: Dance.

Posted (edited)

Fill your inventory to the brim with resist gear and consumables.

Get world buffs.

Hearth to raid location.

And not to forget, prep a protein shake so that gains are not only gotten in game, but outside aswell.

Edited by Pinkbeard

Please can I join your raid? I *promise* not to use the explosive sheep again. Stupid keybinds...

On 10. 3. 2017 at 1:03 PM, ilovecats said:

Serpentshrine Cavern on TBC needs a maxed out fisherman for one of the first bosses and I happen to be missing that day.

9 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Serpentshrine Cavern on TBC needs a maxed out fisherman for one of the first bosses and I happen to be missing that day.

Oh, I tried it on private servers and on one of them you couldn't even cast the rod in that spot. Needless to say, I was pissed off.

>implying vanilla raids are difficult and needs alot of preperation

Well I usally get my consumeables  one day ahead or so, I'M not very Keep on world buffs though. (Apart from onys head or a flower in felwood maybe) So I logg in like  30 mins before the raid, check if I have all I Need ( or I can afford tbh cause I'm allways poor). Then I'm making my way to the raid and either wait in a safe Location or logg out until it actually starts.

Now Comes the important part:

Coffee. Nuff said.

If I have my coffee, and my water, I'm good. I like to have a smoke as well but coffee is important, everything is inferior to that.

I normallyl just listen to ingame sounds, helps me concentrating ( that includes ingame Music) well and discord ofc.

Posted (edited)

When I was just a raider, I'd make sure I had my consumables for the night, and then typically hang out near the front of Blackrock Mountain with a whole pack of friends and guildmates killing any horde who came in.  We didn't need world buffs to progress so we didn't bother getting them, instead we just laughed at how much fun it was to kill the people who did and sabotage them.  The most fun was catching <Bedlam> or <Blackdawn> trying to zone out of Blackrock Spire with the fire resist buff for Ragnaros or Vael and nuking them before they even got control of their characters.  We probably set their progress back weeks just by doing that over and over until they gave up and logged out.  We still did this even on nights when we weren't going to run MC or BWL because it was the most fun part of a PvP server.

When I was raid leading.. I made sure I had my consumables for the night, then got my teeth grinding apparatus in position and started invites.

Raid leading is an exercise in frustration when things are rough, but it is also unquestionably the most rewarding position when things go well.

Edited by Darkrasp

Beer or black coffee. Nicotine. Stock up on consumables, grab some joke items off the AH so you can be a giant skeleton while you wait for everyone to organize. Go fishing.

45 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

When I was just a raider, I'd make sure I had my consumables for the night, and then typically hang out near the front of Blackrock Mountain with a whole pack of friends and guildmates killing any horde who came in.  We didn't need world buffs to progress so we didn't bother getting them, instead we just laughed at how much fun it was to kill the people who did and sabotage them.  The most fun was catching <Bedlam> or <Blackdawn> trying to zone out of Blackrock Spire with the fire resist buff for Ragnaros or Vael and nuking them before they even got control of their characters.  We probably set their progress back weeks just by doing that over and over until they gave up and logged out.  We still did this even on nights when we weren't going to run MC or BWL because it was the most fun part of a PvP server.

Another of a long list on reasons I won't ever play on a PvP server.

5 hours ago, Adalon said:

Another of a long list on reasons I won't ever play on a PvP server.

Coward.  ;)