Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Retrac47

Which are your favorite/least favorite zones for leveling?

30 posts in this topic

I was thinking about this today and realized that for PvP and PvE most zones play much differently (really every zone that isn't controlled by the Horde or Alliance). I primarily play Alliance PvP, so of course Stranglethorn is up there on the places I am ready to be done with as soon as I start, but I think Hillsbrad Foothills has typically been a worse experience (on both Horde and Alliance side). Ashenvale is a ton of fun on PvP servers with the low level open world battles, but I find it pretty boring on PvE. Felwood is one of my favorites for PvP questing since there it's a nice respite from battle (usually not many people there questing in my experience). I think Un'Goro might be my favorite zone for both PvP and PvE. I love the atmosphere down there, and the PvP is some of the most strategic around with all of the dangers lurking about, and the PvE is usually at least entertaining.

Posted (edited)

I'm probably go with Tanaris and Felwood as my favorite leveling zones.
Good amount of PvP yet not to the extend of it becoming tedious as fuck (STV and Hillsbrad), easy questing and lots of humanoid NPC's which are easy to kill.

edit: Horde PoV

Edited by Cruzix

I like dark zones like Duskwood and Darkshore, also Tanaris and STV due to their PvP activity. Disliked zones would be Felwood, Un'Goro and Silverpine Forest because they're poorly designed as far as layout and NPC hubs go and feel incomplete.

Posted (edited)

As a PvEer and enjoyer of the simpler things in the game, I really enjoy any zone that has a lot of trees and green nice colors. Teldrassil, Un'Goro, Ashenvale, STV, Darkshore a little bit, and even Azshara. Not a big fan of the big bland desert biomes.  Usually if I'm a little bored of grinding, I like to find a nice quite spot near some water and just fish some time away.

On PvP servers though, I have a severe hatred for shimmering flats. I wiped there for 14+ hours by gankers and was too stubborn to just leave it. I wanted the xp and I wanted to finish that zone. I got it done eventually, but when I hit 60, I went back and would just spend hours camping people trying to level. Just killing them over and over again. That's why I don't play on PvP.

Edited by Kelila

43 minutes ago, Kelila said:

As a PvEer and enjoyer of the simpler things in the game, I really enjoy any zone that has a lot of trees and green nice colors. Teldrassil, Un'Goro, Ashenvale, STV, Darkshore a little bit, and even Azshara. Not a big fan of the big bland desert biomes.  Usually if I'm a little bored of grinding, I like to find a nice quite spot near some water and just fish some time away.

On PvP servers though, I have a severe hatred for shimmering flats. I wiped there for 14+ hours by gankers and was too stubborn to just leave it. I wanted the xp and I wanted to finish that zone. I got it done eventually, but when I hit 60, I went back and would just spend hours camping people trying to level. Just killing them over and over again. That's why I don't play on PvP.

Oh man I forgot how terrible Shimmering Flats can be. Or desperately trying to gain Gadgetzan rep so the guards will actually help protect you. Inversely, camping people inside of Gadgetzan was one of the most fun times I think I've ever had. Crazy how PvP makes you want to inflict every ounce of pain you had leveling up on others.

Eversong Woods for my favorite Race, rich lore and great scenery. (and history with the dead scar) It has everything I want in an RPG. The only downside are the troll bezerkers that can 2/3 hit you when they rage lol.

Following these are Elwynn for its classical RPG feel, Tirisfal for its depressing lore, (to see a kingdom in ruins) and I'd say the Plaguelands history/lore is also pretty nice, even if the quests are 'kill x of y' lol.

I dont play on pvp servers so STV is also nice. ^^

I really dislike Feralas for being too spread out along with Winterspring. (love the scenery but its too big and has shitty drop rates for quests)

Favorite overall, Hellfire Peninsula. In Vanilla, The Barrens.

Least favorite, Stranglethorn Vale. Got my ass handed to me way too many times, lol.

I love Teldrassil for the whole at-one-with-Nature vibe, beautiful calming music, and it being a GIANT tree that I could totally see myself living in. Sitting around the campfire, chillin with the Night Elves, smoking Bruiseweed. B|

Duskwood for the spookiness and some of the coolest quest lines in the game IMO. And having to run away from Mor'Ladim like a lil bitch, really makes that graveyard feel dangerous! Oh, and Stitches of course, he's my bro.

I usually play Paladin, thats why I love Western Plaguelands and Eastern Plaguelands so much, but the two worst zones in the world are Arathi Highlands and Hinterlands, beautiful zones but not many quests :/

To quote myself from this thread:

My favourite zones to level are desert all the way; Durotar --> Barrens--> 1k needles --> Tanaris. Generally lots of quests and while there is some running the quests aren't spread out like in Ashenvale for example. There are also lots of good grinding spots. You just get shit done in a blazing speed.

I fucking hate Westfall. And Teldrassil.

Also I've always liked Loch Modan. Much nicer. Darkshore is ok too. The last time I was leveling through stuff, I found newfound appreciation of Dustwallow, believe it or not.

Posted (edited)

I love all Night elf zones, Ashenvale in particular is a place I like to return to just to chill or help low level chars with quests and horde scum. It really feels like home. :x

On the other hand the ones I dislike both of the plaguelands, tirisfal, silithus and desolace. The rest is somewhere in between distributed according to Mr.Gauss.

Edited by Mal Do'Urden

I love leveling in Nagran, it's such beautiful place.
I love the bloodsport chain (aka kill 200 mobs for Hemet Nasingwary or w/e he's name is).
The ring of blood fok yeah!
And the Hero of Mag'har (the first time You meet Garrosh Hellscream).
it's probably the only place in Outland where You can feel like in Vanilla again.
Y, Nagrand is my Fav.

The zones I hate? Probably Dustwallow Marsh (ugly shiet zone, full of elites and crapworth quests).

Favourite: Dun Morogh, Barrens, Tanaris, Winterspring, Hellfire, Grizzly Hills, Scholazar Basin, Storm Peaks, Uldum

Least favourite: Badlands, Blasted lands, Eastern Plaguelands, Dragonblight, Deepholm

Like:

Snowy zones, STV, deserts, Plaguelands, almost all of Northrend, Duskwood, Loch Modan, Nagrand, SM Valley,  Searing Gorge, Burning Steppes, Darkshore, Blasted Lands, Redruge.

Meh:

Nelf forests, Elwynn, Westfall, Wetlands, Un'goro, Feralas, Terokkar.

Hate:

Azshara, Felwood, Swamp of Sorrows, Blade's Edge Mountains.

Makeitstopmyeyesarebleeding:

Netherstorm, Zangarmarsh.

Cool Thread :)

There are many Zones i like, but the first two Zones i will forever remember are Elwynn Forest and Westfall. Paladin was my first Character back in retail, so obviously i started Elwynn, Northshire Abbey. After finishing all the Quests there, i run to Westfall and i remember walking over the bridge from Elwynn too Westfall. It was great.

But back 2 topic :D

Duskwood, Loch Modan, Tirisfal, Silverpine Forest, Elwynn Forest, Redridge, Darkshore & STV.

Cheers

+

Mulgore, Nagrand (actually, Outland doesn't have any bad zones, Nagrand just stands out in it's majestic beauty), Hinterlands, Un'Goro Crater, Grizzly Hills, Uldum, Stranglethorn Vale (PvE only)

-

Ashenvale, Stonetalon Mountains, Vashj'ir, Dustwallow Marsh before the addition of the Goblin camp, Silverpine Forest

Obviously I like the zones I once started in the best - Elwynn, Dun Morogh, Loch Modan, Wetlands (fuck Westfall), Duskwood, STV, Tanaris.

Then it all got terribly muddled and I don't remember.

Let me tell you of the time I first went to Everlook though. It was in the middle of the winter, no snow, but a lot of cold, and we were having a wow party at a friend's.
It just so happened that this friend used wood for heating the house and that year they had problems with windows not sealing properly. AND I got the seat closest to said windows, furthest from the fireplace.
You can see where this is going, I had a full 4D experience of Winterspring.

I remember really liking original Azshara (even though there wasn't very much to do), I also loved the quest chains in Plaguelands, Winterspring was cool as well

Desolace is horrendous, I also never really liked the forests (Ashenvale/Feralas), Stonetalon mountains as well

Fuck the Badlands, man, that place is just BORING. Ugly terrain, boring quests, boring mobs - AWFUL. On the whole, I hate desert-type leveling zones - there's just nothing to look at. The only exception to this is Tanaris but even then, I only like questing near the shoreline.

Ashenvale, Feralas, Winterspring, Stranglethorn Vale, Zangarmarsh and Western Plaguelands are my favorites...I dunno, they just seem so exciting and or relaxing to me.

I hate almost all starting zones and second zones (10-20) bcs its kinda hard to level there when you have no skills and abilities and've been through them so many times.
My faw zones is Azuremyst and Bloodmyst (music is just perfect). I like Barrens for its easy qusting. I like Terrokar Forest, Netherstorm, Shadowmoon Valley, Azshara (like how its looks). Tanaris is atmospheric. All Northrend zones are cool.
Also, in general, I more like Horde zones and quest lines althought I'm Alliance guy.

Any zone 1-15. Having 40 people standing on each other trying to tag a mob before it is even visible is terrible. For any quest levels 1-20 I really really really wish the respawn rates were 10x faster. On Kronos my memories of leveling mostly center around grouping with a shaman hoping they an earth shock tag mobs for me.

Hillsbrad foothills, Eversong woods and STV are my favorite. Hinterlands and Tanaris are great too.  I hate UnGoro crater, Swamp of sorrows, 1k needles and Desolace.  

Edited by Zniki

Music Elven places but i don't like the quests in Darkshore, Ashenvale even if i always do Ashenvale. 

But number one for me are The Barrens