Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beanlips

UI problems

I don't know how people get their UI's, looking so clean and clutter free. I have downloaded these addons and can never get it the way I really want it. Does anyone have a good video guide or tutorial I could use as a reference. I have looked this up on youtube and google'ed, it a bunch; but all I seem to find, is how to DL addons and maybe a small tutorial on how use them. I'm pretty much looking for a guide, that can show me how to minimalize my UI. I just want Character Portrait, Map, and spells. Not much else and maybe some other things to access, but doesn't clutter my screen.

All I seem to do, is just fuck it all up. By adding a bunch of addons, that I don't know how to use. I feel like a dipshit for asking this and probably sound impatient, but I'm having trouble figuring this out. Please someone help me out? I don't want to learn trial by error on this sort of thing. People just seem to say "DL this UI addon and easily change the UI your way!", but it's not that easy. 😑

When you already know how to use like 15 addons and find a new one to DL. It's easy to pick up and learn; but for someone like me. I barely know how to use like 3 of the addons I have, so I have to learn like 15 addons all at once. It's a lot to learn and retain. I know I can do it. I just fucking can't seem to get anywhere. Spinning my tires on this and actually said fuck it and just played the game how it looks, for a while and now I'm back with passion, to make it happen. I want to change it and make it look more appealing to my point of view. I'm just tired of the old vanilla wow UI. Going back to the UI addon posts for now. Thanks for reading

Posted (edited)

I found a UI guide in "Show off your UI" post. I'll check it out, but any more help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Beanlips

I personally started with MoveAnything after being overwhelmed by massive addon packs. You can drag and hide most UI elements with it. Then add something like Ringmenu so that you don't need as many action bars for consumables/quest items etc. Add more addons one by one from there.

Oh yea i feel you, you already know me and how i am when i configure my addons. First you got to have a layout in mind, where do you want your raid frames to be on your screen and what size, then think of where you want your action bars and how big, then do this for your player and target frames and youre practically done with most of your ui. Moving the chatbox is super easy. Even as someone who uses the same addonsand setup my brain still gets overloaded with all the options i need to change. Its like that gif with the guys face concentrating and the math equations flying all over the place. 

I think  one way to approach this is to install one add on at a time and learn it, especially easy to do when you are levelling. Look at what issue you want to address and search for an addon that seems to provide a solution, install it play with it and then decide if it's a keeper or not.

Rinse and repeat.  Once you are familiar with the "useful" addons you can start looking at how to visually improve your UI, but always go for utility before eye candy

19 minutes ago, Inkd said:

I think  one way to approach this is to install one add on at a time and learn it, especially easy to do when you are levelling. Look at what issue you want to address and search for an addon that seems to provide a solution, install it play with it and then decide if it's a keeper or not.

Rinse and repeat.  Once you are familiar with the "useful" addons you can start looking at how to visually improve your UI, but always go for utility before eye candy

This. AND read the readme/description of the addon before you install it, so you know exactly what it does and what commands to use to customize it ingame. It's pretty much self explanatory but oh well :P

If you don't wanna go through the trouble of setting up your own UI from scratch, then you should install a UI pack from someone else and go from there.

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, Beanlips said:

Thanks for reading

Well I'm also a big fan of basic wow UI but there's a lot of stuff missing in vanilla's basic UI.

You should rly think how Your UI is supposed to look like (make a prototype on a paper or something). Then, think what addons You need to make it so.
1st of all I recomend to decrease UI scale (escape/video options/ui scale) and check in options what else can you change w/o using addons (for example you can customize chat).

So talking about "what is missing in plane vanilla UI"...
For sure You are missing enemy casting bar (added in TBC). [there's few of those addons; for begginers I recomend NECB] [/necb to open option window]
The 2nd must have is threat metter, ppl are usually using KTM 17.34 or 17.35 - it's almost impossible to raid w/o it. [/ktm to open option window]
EQL - enchanted quest log (better quest tracker than basic one [better because it allows You to track more quests and it's not buggy like vanilla's basic]
Mobinfo2 - le must! Shows current/max hit points of your enemies. [/mi2 to open option window]
Some Crowd Control timers (chronometer, debuff timers or w/e, just google which one fit fot you).
So those are like MUST HAVE.

UNIT FRAMES
There's some more or less popular like: Xperl, Titan, Luna [unit frames].
Good thing about chaning You unit frames is about "Unit frames usually have some other addons inside". For example Luna has enemy casting bar (so you can avoid NECB); Xperl has MobHealth etc.

And here, some more BASIC stuff making You life easier (and your UI cleaner):
Move anything (allows You to change location and size of most of UI stuff). [escape/move anything/select frame]
Cartographer - map is not full screen anymore.
Bartender - customize actionbars (and also some other bars),
Super ignore: (get rid of gold sellers spam)
ImprovedErrorFrame: no more annoying lua errors on your screen.
align: creates a grid on your screen.

Let's make good example (of thing you need/you don't need/trash addons/etc) of my current UI (it's not perfect clean but I use laptop nowadays and my screen is pretty small; I could change UI scale but I like if important thing are good visible).
2222.jpg

As You can see I have there all I need:
Luna UI frame: There is good view of my enemy (I can see his casting bar, hp numbers and %, his target, class, buffs/debuffs). Also at bottom one I can see my casting bar (so i get rid of blizzard's casting bar), XP bar, my buffs/debuffs. mobinfo showing health/mana. For CC timers I use "debuff timers".
I have also customized party/raid frames [still Luna].
Bartender (OmniCC shows cooldown)
EQL
also KTM in bottom right corner
Chat - chatsuey (it just allows you to use mousewheel and remove buttons)
Tooltip's location is changed my moveanything (also minimap is little bigger [done with same addon])
My minimap looks clear just because I turned off all minimap buttons.
And that's pretty much it. Changing UI scale should make is looks more clear.

Here's list of all addon  I use:
111.jpg
Meh I don't use grid anymore.

BUT... 
I still could improve it by clearing it a bit (coz as I said before: many of those addons has more than one use; for example I could delete Xloot and config correctly lazypig (coz it does the smae job); same thing with shagumount).
So I'm trying to tell - do it Yourself, spent few hours, days for that. There's nothing like "perfect UI", it sohuld be perfect for You.

One more thing... If You watch close to the UI at "show You UI topics" You can see missing stuff in those "super clean UI". They are usually missing party/raid frame, KTM, questlog... so be sure those UI's don't look 100% like on pictures : )
Cheers.

Edited by duzyizly

Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. I think my first problem was downloading the big addon pack. Duzizly, thanks for all the detail, it helps a lot.