Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kelila

Prepping for TBC: Hoarding Quests

Posted (edited)

This is a long way out, but I don't think any recent private server has successfully moved from vanilla to TBC.  On retail I'm sure some people thought of this, but I'd also think that the vast majority of players hadn't.  A lot of people who go back and play the old content through pservers seem to generally be more savvy on maxing XP gain and such.

So here is my thought/question/idea.  Would there be a strategy to keep a full quest log of quests ready to turn in towards the end of vanilla so that when TBC launches and the level cap goes to 70, you can turn them all in and get a jump on being the first to 61.  That has the possibility of allowing you to skip HFP and the carnage that will be overcrowding there and just move straight to Zangarmarsh.

I really don't know much about how old quests transferring across expansions or if there would even be enough high experience quests for this to be viable.  Just wondering what people think.

Edited by Kelila
Spelling

Hmm...

a) You earn about 2x more exp in outlands (then in azeroth), which means:
lvl 60 quest from azeroth gives you 5k xp
lvl 60 quest from outland gives you 10k xp (also grinding mobs gives twice more XP)

b) If you are max level (no mater of patch) - all the quests XP are turned into gold (1xp = 6 copper), which means if you finish any quest in vanilla as lvl 60 hero you gain bonus money.

c) Number of lvl 57-60 quests in azeroth is damn low (most of em are chains or dungen/elite/raid stuff). Also... I'm sure You gonna need to do most of those quests while leveling up to lvl 60 or gearing your endgame hero.

d) I understand going straight to zangarmarsh is kinda safe play coz you are going yo avoid HFP PvP madness but You are also going to avoid some strong blue drops (there's a few elite/dungeon quests that gives you nice blue items).

e) While everyone is fighting in portal opening event you are roaming world to turn in quests : (

f) I'm thinking about PvP quests...

According to wowwiki, for TBC you needed 494,000 XP to hit 61. With a limited quest log of 25 quests and a level 60 quest netting 5k XP as per above, that's roughly a quarter of the level. Sure some quests might grant more but either way we're talking about 30% at most. 

Then add travel times for turn ins etc, I think best case scenario you may earn a little nudge ahead of the rest but probably not worth the effort. 

Welp, seeing as it looks like no one likes my idea. I'm going to strap myself to it and do some actual math to see if it's viable. I will not become killerduki.

I remember people did used to do this on retail with expansion releases. They'd complete daily quests/any quests and return them all at once then rush to the new zone to get ahead.

I think if you could find the right quests, you could make this work. You would need to look up all the XP rewards though, and make sure you were going to get enough, otherwise you could be putting yourself a day behind with all the running around to do turn ins. I personally wouldn't because I want all that gold, and I also loved all the PvP in HFP, but I can see why you would want to get out of there ASAP, especially at launch.

Would the time it would take to travel around the world handing quests in nullify the xp you would gain?

when i played on TBC several years ago...lvl 58 was the GO to outland...even as low as 56...since grinding mobs on outlands was WAY faster than questing in azeroth...so no, it's better if you do take the vanilla end game quest as money instead of saving it for xp...actually, there arent enough vanilla quest to grind to 60...you need to farm 2 or 3 levels for it

Posted (edited)

Here's an example 

Highest xp reward in EPL is 1200 xp at level 58 

Disrupting their reinforcements gives 9270 xp at level 58

A single quest in outlands gives you the same as 8 level 58-60 quests in vanilla.

I believe blizzard intentionally nerfed vanilla xp gained when TBC was launched in order to stop people from just staying in azeroth and grinding to level 62+

Edited by MadeByRockets

I guess you could do all the high level quests in Blasted Lands, set your hearthstone there, go to whichever zone has the the biggest lvl 55-60 quest hub, do the quests there, wait for TBC release, turn in the quests there, HS to blasted lands, turn in quests on the way to the portal and then go to Outlands. That way you get quite a few quests turned in and you'll only be a couple of minutes behind the first wave of players in Hellfire Peninsula.

Problem with this is that you would have to avoid doing high level quests during the entirety of vanilla which I, as a completionist, could never do. Also, like others said, the XP rewards might not be high enough to be worth it. Hoarding quests will probably be worth it more during the transition from TBC to WotLK.

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, duzyizly said:

outlands

8 hours ago, xexomaru said:

outlands

6 hours ago, MadeByRockets said:

outlands

2 hours ago, Lilaina said:

Outlands

Grrr.

2 hours ago, Lilaina said:

Hoarding quests will probably be worth it more during the transition from TBC to WotLK.

Kinda, but not really. If the tables are any indication, the factor of difference between 69-70 and 70-71 is lower than 59-60 and 60-61.

Though the vanilla one is 2,8 and the wotlk one (as seen on pandas, so a bit uncertain) is 2,2 - from 779 700xp to 1 523 800. Was possibly higher at the time of wotlk.
A max level TBC quest is what, 10k xp?

Edited by Xaverius

5 hours ago, Lilaina said:

I guess you could do all the high level quests in Blasted Lands, set your hearthstone there, go to whichever zone has the the biggest lvl 55-60 quest hub, do the quests there, wait for TBC release, turn in the quests there, HS to blasted lands, turn in quests on the way to the portal and then go to Outlands. That way you get quite a few quests turned in and you'll only be a couple of minutes behind the first wave of players in Hellfire Peninsula.

Problem with this is that you would have to avoid doing high level quests during the entirety of vanilla which I, as a completionist, could never do. Also, like others said, the XP rewards might not be high enough to be worth it. Hoarding quests will probably be worth it more during the transition from TBC to WotLK.

The first part is what I was thinking of doing, but you do bring up a good point, the quests I would be saving from vanilla would be some of the best quests to finish that 58-60 grind and I'm sure I'll want to complete them then.

I was pretty sure there were plenty of quests in EPL and WPL that reward 10k xp in vanilla. Does stuff like that get nerfed when TBC launches?

I definitely wouldn't be running around Azeroth turning in random quests, I would focus on hub quest locations so I can turn in a bunch and then get straight to Outland.  I wouldn't be wasting the entire launch day just running in circles, that would be stupid.  My only thought is, if you have an overpopulated HFP and you can't even get mob tags, what's the point of rushing there? Some xp in Azeroth is better than no xp in Outland. If the server is going to be sitting at 6k cap when TBC launches, I have a feeling it's going to be hell with that many people in HFP. Retail servers were capped much lower and I know that even then it was carnage.

Now when it really comes down to it, I'm a PvE player, so I probably won't be doing any of this because HFP PvP won't actually be an issue for me.  This was mostly just a thought I had and I was fielding it for viability. From what it sounds like, xp gains in Outland are just too much higher to skip it with vanilla content.

People did it in retail. I don't think it let them skip an area, but they kept their quest log full of completed quests ready to turn in. Trick would be to have quests ready to turn in that minimized travel time.

Is it worth just leaping straight into Ramparts and farming in there til level 61/62? I don't know what the strategies were at TBC launch as a friend was away for a week when it went live so I waited for them to get back before I started Outland content and by then HFP had calmed down a bit.

I was under the impression that doing as many Ramparts runs as you possibly could was in the long run the better plan for leveling in BC anyway, because you got rep from doing it, and doing the normal mode dungeons got you rep until, what, Honored? Then you went back later and did the quests because unlike normal dungeons they would still give you rep to push you further then normal dungeons would get you after having done the quests first.

19 hours ago, Xsaeta said:

I was under the impression that doing as many Ramparts runs as you possibly could was in the long run the better plan for leveling in BC anyway, because you got rep from doing it, and doing the normal mode dungeons got you rep until, what, Honored? Then you went back later and did the quests because unlike normal dungeons they would still give you rep to push you further then normal dungeons would get you after having done the quests first.

Or just roll PVE master race human and cut the ramp runs in half.