Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hunab-Ku

Raid resistances?

Here i was considering how to not die on certain raids after remembering that vanilla cared a lot about resistances.
So, leaving out Molten Core for obviously requiring lots of fire resistance... What to do about the others? 

Zul'Gurub = Nature? Due to poisons?
Blackwing/Onyxia = Fire? Shadow?
Temple/Ruins of Ahn'Quiraj = ?
Naxx = Frost? Arcane? Nature? It confuses me due to the quarter's specializations.

Bwl: second boss requires a lot of fire res.  I think 3 bosses require "onyxia scale cloak" 

Aq: few bosses require nature res. Like huhuran, vicidus. 

Naxx: I believe we used a bit of nature res on maexxna and grobulus. And then frost res on Saphiron and Kel'thuzad. 

There is probably more, but I never raided in de private server scene. So it's a bit of the top of my head. 

And that is from a non "tank"  point of view. 

5 hours ago, Hunab-Ku said:

Here i was considering how to not die on certain raids after remembering that vanilla cared a lot about resistances.
So, leaving out Molten Core for obviously requiring lots of fire resistance... What to do about the others? 

Zul'Gurub = Nature? Due to poisons?
Blackwing/Onyxia = Fire? Shadow?
Temple/Ruins of Ahn'Quiraj = ?
Naxx = Frost? Arcane? Nature? It confuses me due to the quarter's specializations.

Zul'Gurub and AQ20 can be brute forced without any resistance gear if you have pre-raid BiS. With 40 man raid gear, they're positively easy.
MC requires Fire Resistance on the tanks only for Ragnaros. This may change on CF, since @Darkrasp claims no other server has Ragnaros' fire abilities working correctly and the raid wide fire damage on other private servers is too low.
Onyxia requires about the same amount of FR, again just for the tank. It's easier to just avoid deep breath than to stack a load of FR to survive it.
BWL requires Onyxia scale cloaks for the 4 dragons. If you execute the fights correctly, the first three drakes only need the tanks to equip a OSC. Nefarian requires everyone wearing one. 2nd boss requires raid wide fire resistance unless you have the DPS to brute force the encounter.
AQ40 requires some poison resist, most notably for the 15 poison bolt soakers on Princess Huhuran.
Naxx can mostly be brute forced with enough resistance potions (which is why you see people from top tier guilds buying them up early when they cost next to nothing).

• Grobbulus can be done with minimal poison resistance in the melee groups (shaman/hunter) and a resistance potion on each melee DPS.
  • Loatheb requires Shadow Protection potions.
  • Maexxna can be done with just poison resistance in the tank group.
  • Sapphiron can be done with a medium amount of raid wide frost resistance.
  • Kel'Thuzad can be done with a medium-high amount of raid wide frost resistance and stacking enough interrupts on KT.

That's a very awesome and detailed reply. Btw, when you say medium-high... how much are we talking about? 80? 100?

Has arcane resistance ever been needed in any encounter in vanilla/TBC btw? It has always seemed kind of a useless stat to me. :P

6 hours ago, Hunab-Ku said:

That's a very awesome and detailed reply. Btw, when you say medium-high... how much are we talking about? 80? 100?

You need 300 vs a level 60 and 315 vs a level 63 (raid bosses) for 75% chance to fully resist a binary spell.

Medium would be a total of around 210 including an Aura (Totem/PaladinAura/HunterAspect) which should give around a 50% chance to resist each binary spell. That's around 150 resistance from gear.

Usually the only people who need to be 'capped' are tanks.

52 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

Has arcane resistance ever been needed in any encounter in vanilla/TBC btw? It has always seemed kind of a useless stat to me. :P

Shazzrah (Molten Core) and the Prophet Skeram (AQ 40) and their annoying arcane explosion can be a bastard for newcomers in very early progression in both instances, depending on how focused your raid is. Any experienced group can (and will) easily brute force them however.

There's no point gearing for it, but 1x Greater Arcane Protection Potion will keep you safe from ~2 explosions and make the Shazzrah fight significantly easier for any newbie guild that's first progressing if they get 1 for everyone in the raid. They were first seen in January 2005, so at worst they were added in patch 1.2 (which is the patch CF is starting with) and so will be available for early progression in MC if you wanted to use them. They drop from Cobalt Mageweavers (1.6% drop chance) so will require a group to farm it effectively.

Incidentally, it's one of the most cost effective ways to level alchemy from 290-300/305.

By the time you reach AQ40 raiding, consumables like this will be mandatory.

The only other boss I can think of that might make arcane resistance useful is Azuregos, but I've never actually fought him so I can't say that for sure

8 hours ago, Humperdink said:

The only other boss I can think of that might make arcane resistance useful is Azuregos, but I've never actually fought him so I can't say that for sure

I haven't fought him either (except for roflstomping him in later expansion but that doesn't count). I thought he has frost attacks?

51 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

I haven't fought him either (except for roflstomping him in later expansion but that doesn't count). I thought he has frost attacks?

All his main attacks are frost based. In theory, Arcane resistance would help you resist his mana burn (if that's even possible, no idea) and possibly mean you need to use 1 less mana consumable.

I've not fought him for years, but can't remember a single arcane based attack.

Chill - Frost
Frost Breath - Frost
Frost Burn - Frost
Manastorm - Frost damage with Arcane effect.

On 3/16/2017 at 9:14 AM, Elicas said:

Nefarian requires everyone wearing one.

If memory serves OSC-equipped tanks are sufficient in this fight as well if the raid can execute the hide-behind-throne maneuver properly.

10 hours ago, Shoraine said:

If memory serves OSC-equipped tanks are sufficient in this fight as well if the raid can execute the hide-behind-throne maneuver properly.

Theoretically yes. I'm used to more casual guilds where it's easier to just give everyone a cloak.

;)

Read this thread title as "Rad resistances" when first skimming by... you can guess what I've been playing a lot of lately.

It'll be fun to actually care about the resistance stat again. Did it see much use in TBC?

Some classes (namely casters) can drop resistances almost entirely at a certain point or use the bare minimum for encounters which absolutely need them, and it's also tied to your stock of elemental protection potions and how often you can pop them.

depends on how they tune the bosses.

only bit of vanilla wow i ever played was on feenix emerald dream, didnt need any resistances until aq40.