Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mage21

Achievements Addon?

I dont know shait about addons, but it would be really cool if someone would be able to make an achievement addon, you could always have the lame retail achievs but also add some costom ones :) 

Would give the really huge game some more things to do for those who got bad imagination ^^

Achievements in vanilla would be cool and is one of those things I'd like to see blizz implement if they ever were to make legacy servers.

As for custom achievements, they'd have to be made by the people running the server and forced on everyone I think. A third party addon can't give any in game rewards after all. I do recall reading about a custom 1.12 server with achievements.

What are those rewards you are talking about? I def woulnt want that. 

Just a Goldbar poping up saying "Crocodile Dundee" (Tamed a Croc as a hunter) or whatever just to brag about or just having something new to farm / play for! :)

The rewards are Titles or mounts in Retail so I think he means that

As for the addon itself, I would like it either.

Meh! Indeed it would be a nice feature but I think it's way too non-Blizz. Since the server plans to be as blizzlike as possible I don't think it will be implemented in Vanillla. 

On 3/18/2017 at 5:36 AM, mage21 said:

I dont know shait about addons, but it would be really cool if someone would be able to make an achievement addon, you could always have the lame retail achievs but also add some costom ones :) 

Would give the really huge game some more things to do for those who got bad imagination ^^

"IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MOLTEN CORE ACHIEVEMENT YOU CANT JOIN THIS MOLTEN CORE PUG"

guys like that would make that addon pretty much mandatory, and furthermore, since its an addon, you could "hack" in the achivements since they'd be stored client side anyway

WoW would've been better off without achievements

Edited by Aquane

22 minutes ago, Aquane said:

"IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MOLTEN CORE ACHIEVEMENT YOU CANT JOIN THIS MOLTEN CORE PUG"

guys like that would make that addon pretty much mandatory, and furthermore, since its an addon, you could "hack" in the achivements since they'd be stored client side anyway

WoW would've been better off without achievements

I don't agree that it would be better off without the achievement feature at all, it's great seeing that achievement pop up after you've finally accomplished something "big" and it's also fun to collect achievement points in general - giving you more stuff to do in game.

The point you're making about achievements being a "player skill checker" to join groups/raids is only true if you're guildless and in that case it's your own fault for not wanting to socialize in a social game. Besides even without achievements people will still find ways to get a first hand impression of another players skill level such as *ahem* gear score *ahem* (puke :D). Luckily this sort of behavior isn't that common for vanilla as far as I have experienced.

Also achievements can be faked regardless if its client side or not with addons such as https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/overachiever/files

Edited by Cruzix

4 minutes ago, Cruzix said:

The point you're making about achievements being a "player skill checker" to join groups/raids is only true if you're guildless and in that case it's your own fault for not wanting to socialize in a social game. Besides even without achievements people will still find ways to get a first hand impression of another players skill level such as *ahem* gear score *ahem* (puke :D). Luckily this sort of behavior isn't that common for vanilla as far as I have experienced.

what if you're just in a guild most of the server has never heard of? id imagine those would be quite prevalent 8 months after the server has come out

and i sure hope gearscore isn't made for vanilla, but achievements went along with gearscore

11 minutes ago, Aquane said:

what if you're just in a guild most of the server has never heard of? id imagine those would be quite prevalent 8 months after the server has come out

and i sure hope gearscore isn't made for vanilla, but achievements went along with gearscore

Well you should join a raiding guild if you wanna raid and at the same time avoid "skill checks" is what I meant... :P

There are gearscore-alike addons for vanilla but they're not being used by anyone pretty much.
My point was simply that there's lots of other variables that people can judge others on, and not just achievements. Hence why you instead should be joining a guild and you won't have to deal with that sort of behavior like you were when PUG'ing. If you don't join a raiding guild.. welp.. then you will have to deal with people who behave like that, regardless if achievements is a thing or not.

Edited by Cruzix

I personally think the game is better without achievements. And I'm not talking about just Vanilla.

Want achievements? Make your own. All you need is a txt file. You can give them cool names and ludicrous requirements too if you must. Then just tick em off once you "get" them. No addon needed.

One of the things that I love about Vanilla (and other games that lack achievements) is that instead of getting a flashing "achievement get" notification every 5 minutes I'm expected to just play the game and decide what is and is not an achievement for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't completely avoid games with achievemens, infact I do go on acheivement hunts from time to time, but in an open ended game like VWoW I really can't see how built-in achievements are a good thing.

You just killed 100 enemies in 30 minutes! Is this an achievement for you? Yes? No? You decide. Why is a flashy popup needed here?

Of course this is just an opinion and nothing more. As long as this addon affects only those that use it I'd have absolutely no problem with it. That being said, I can already tell that it won't be like that. At least depending on the kind of achievements that get added. In the end this'll just be another e-peen booster and nothing more, unless the achievements are all things like "gather 5 non-combat pets". That brings up the other point I made. Getting 5 pets isn't an achievement for me, thus I would hate to get a popup trying to tell me it is. It might be an achievement for someone else though. And if it is it's better if they realize this on their own.

Back to the e-peen thing...

"You don't have X achievement? Everyone has that achievement! /gkick"

^Unimportant rant^

Yeah most achievements are far too easy to get and will just be something you get randomly without even trying which is pretty sad and annoying because then it doesn't have a feel to it.
But achievements such as; Server first X, Kill the boss in a very specific way thus making the encounter a lot harder, arena/RBG rating, exalted reputation achievements etc etc, those are the achievements that I love and I wish it was only that kind of achievements which made it through.

It is purely a epeen thing, but so is pretty much everything else in WoW though.

2 minutes ago, Cruzix said:

Yeah most achievements are far too easy to get and will just be something you get randomly without even trying which is pretty sad and annoying because then it doesn't have a feel to it.
But achievements such as; Server first X, Kill the boss in a very specific way thus making the encounter a lot harder, arena/RBG rating, exalted reputation achievements etc etc, those are the achievements that I love and I wish it was only that kind of achievements which made it through.

It is purely a epeen thing, but so is pretty much everything else in WoW though.

This. "Reach lvl 10" or "Gain 100 HKs" I can do without but PvE achievements that require completing encounters in different ways or seasonal/collectibles achievements that reward you with more collectibles are great.

1 hour ago, VeloxBanks said:

I personally think the game is better without achievements. And I'm not talking about just Vanilla.

Want achievements? Make your own. All you need is a txt file. You can give them cool names and ludicrous requirements too if you must. Then just tick em off once you "get" them. No addon needed.

it's not the same. Achievements won't feel worth doing if there are no set rules and restrictions and rewards in the game itself.

I suppose achievements would indeed be nice if they were actual achievements like things stated above.

Server firsts being the most ideal example. Even then, the addon would have to stay away from things like "Kill raid boss X". Achievements that eventually everyone doing end-game PVE will get but will still get shit tossed at them if they don't have them yet.

And of course the addon would have to exclude the absolute laughingstock that are the achievements that everyone will get. "Reach lvl 10", "Kill a boar", "Make a character" etc. The only way I can explain to myself why such achievements ever even became a thing is the good old "instant gratification" issue. Of course in this case it's much more extreme. Or maybe game developers have a very special sense of humor.

And that's pretty much it. I'd still like it if things like "kill 100 tauren in a day" remain little challenges I set for myself, keep track of on my own and eventually tick off as completed when I finally get them done. In my opinion such an addon should only cover the universal stuff like server firsts.

"Gee Velox, if you're gonna be so picky why don't you just learn how to code or whatever and make your own addon?"

2 hours ago, Lilaina said:

"Reach lvl 10" or "Gain 100 HKs"

Ever played Borderlands? The developers' idea of acheivements is "kill 5 000 bugs" or "shoot 100 000 rounds from a handgun". What an exciting game that was. I had to take a six month pause, that exciting!

3 hours ago, Cruzix said:

There are gearscore-alike addons for vanilla but they're not being used by anyone pretty much.

Thank fucking god. Gayscore is bigger cancer than gdkp.

Edited by Xaverius

1 hour ago, Xaverius said:

Ever played Borderlands? The developers' idea of acheivements is "kill 5 000 bugs" or "shoot 100 000 rounds from a handgun". What an exciting game that was. I had to take a six month pause, that exciting!

I got Borderlands from a steam sale. It gave me motion sickness. :S