Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 20/03/2017

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Finally, my recommended dose of Darkrasp is here

Edited by Krippee

Posted (edited)

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Adalon

Tbh, didn't understand much as I have no qualifications or knowledge about scripting but it looks like its going okay.

Appreciate the effort and my condolences, Darkrasp.

Thank you, Darkrasp and let me congratulate new beta testers! Godspeed and happy breaking! :) 

Are you able to give us a more accurate eta for release? What is your target month? 

Thanks for another great update, really appreciate them and all the info you put in and share with us. 

1 hour ago, Darkrasp said:

It's worth noting again that we are developing TBC simultaneously with Vanilla

Curious though, the timeline for Vanilla wow is almost 2 years.... wouldn't time be better spent focusing on vanilla and getting it launched? You then have 2 years to work on TBC and implement some of those scripting/core features. Observing the project from afar over the past 6 months plus, with these continued updates (which i love btw); it does come across that the dev team may be striving for complete perfection (which realistically won't happen, at least at launch), taking on and trying to improve more and more features not all even related to Vanilla, hence why even though i love following this project and the community, there hasn't been as much progress as many of us have expected (and i get it's a free project and you're all working on it in you're free time and you don't owe us anything). I could be totally wrong, but it's starting to get that feel.

Just curious is all and still a fan.

Posted (edited)

My condolences for your family member @Darkrasp

Thanks for yet another great update +1

Edit: also grats for being CM @Outstanding !

Edited by ClawzTheMeow

Thank you, Dark. It sounds like things are coming along as smoothly as they can. My condolences for your loss.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

We've been plugging along and continuing progress, though it's been hampered somewhat by an extremely busy IRL for most of the staff.  Asura is under a heavy workload and has been working extra hours every day at his job.  I had a death in the family just a couple days ago and have had to divert a bunch of my time since to helping out with related arrangements.  Nonetheless, we're still putting a lot of our spare time into development and things are moving along.

I'm really sorry for your loss Darkrasp. I value you as a developer. Keep up the great work.

Edited by AzAMOuS

9 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

It's also just a nice change of pace to work on something fresh every so often, and keeps us busy and productive when we're bored of working on Vanilla for a while, or in my case, when I'm stuck on a coding problem I lack the expertise to resolve, and Asura is too busy to deal with it immediately.

Hey fair point, I guess we are still/were hoping for some updates with info on open Beta, a website or Launch by this point or sometime soon. But you guys are doing this all in your own time and that all makes sense. Still appreciate the updates and the direction this project seems to be headed. I'll keep checking back and patiently waiting :) 

Seems like the overall progress is being maximized at the expense of vanilla release date. I completely understand but don't like it. 

The voidwalker thing will be nice 2 years down the road or on whatever random ooze in vanilla but will only 1 person per group be able to complete the flag totem quest in ashenvale on day 1? Are you going to let known exploiters and hackers roll on the server or say "we have no proof of cheating" when they have full blues and epic mounts with 6 days played?

I only speak for myself but I'm more concerned with vanilla functionality and security for hacking/exploiting than tbc stuff. 

Thanks for all your hard work so far

34 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

Yes and no.

We don't intend to fully prepare TBC for launch before starting Vanilla, but we do want to keep it current with fixes we write and systems we prepare for Vanilla.  The DBC loader, for example, is going to be used for every expansion, so it makes sense to port it forward into the TBC core immediately.  For lack of a better way of describing it, it's just easier to add pieces of functionality into both Vanilla and TBC one at a time, rather than do a hundred pieces of Vanilla and then try to port all of them forward.

We aren't going to bother much with TBC scripting for any content past Hellfire Peninsula until after the Vanilla realm launches, but we want to keep our TBC core functional, playable, and current with the latest fixes as we go along.  It's also just a nice change of pace to work on something fresh every so often, and keeps us busy and productive when we're bored of working on Vanilla for a while, or in my case, when I'm stuck on a coding problem I lack the expertise to resolve, and Asura is too busy to deal with it immediately.

I always wondered how exactly the porting works from 1.12 to 2.4.3? I mean loot systems and what not seem simple enough, but A.I functions and class abilities? Weren't a lot of things changed during that large gap? 

46 minutes ago, MadeByRockets said:

I always wondered how exactly the porting works from 1.12 to 2.4.3? I mean loot systems and what not seem simple enough, but A.I functions and class abilities? Weren't a lot of things changed during that large gap? 

A lot of content changed, but the underlying mechanics are still the same in most cases.  We've been building the emulator all along with an eye towards progression, so we can pretty easily convert back and forth between the two where changes are necessary.

9 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

This most recent functionality updating came from some preparatory work on Hellfire Peninsula, where there is a voidwalker mob that changes it's phase depending on the spell school it is first hit with.

Sounds like somebody skipped Wailing Caverns... :P.

Edited by Xaverius

4 hours ago, MadeByRockets said:

And technically this is often achieved by using something called interfaces. In practice that means that you tell the code that it should accept any class that follows a set of rules. Like in the case you are asking they can have a vanilla class and a TBC class, both abiding to some rules, containing functions that do diffferent things but have the same names. Then the calling code doesn't need to know or care which expansion it is...