Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MadeByRockets

Mists of Pandaria; best expansion?

28 posts in this topic

Now mop did have somewhat of a rocky launch at first, but once the ball got rolling did it turn out to be a good expansion. I actually had a lot of fun during this expansion, and the sheer amount of content they added to its life time was amazing. The zones were beautiful, the quests were fun, the lore (albeit made up) was really well thought out. It really is a shame that a lot of people never liked this expansion, because honestly its really up there with the greats like TBC and WOTLK. Really refreshing after the train wreck of post nerf Cataclysm. 

Throne of Thunder and timeless Isles are by far the best content I've experienced since Isles of Quel'danas and the raids were really well done. Siege of Orgrimmar was a little long but each boss felt very strong and unique, it was a shame that there was such a long ass content drought. 

Monks felt great, but not overpowered; Blizzard definitely learnt their lessons from the death knight hero launch (overpowered class for almost the entire expansion) Monk healing was probably the funnest class I ever played with the damage/rolling around healing teammates. 

Edited by MadeByRockets

MoP was better than Cata and WoD for sure. Didn't like the story/lore/setting though. 5-mans and scenarios sucked. Raids were solid. It still had all the problems of current retail i.e. too many raid difficulties, too much catch up mechanisms, lacking RPG mechanics, easy leveling, empty old world, everything is streamlined. Some people liked the huge amount of dailies and factions. They were definitely better than the lack of content in WoD. I liked the way how they gave small bits of story every few days, even if I didn't really like the setting. Making monks start at lvl 1 like everyone else, instead of the hero class nonsense, was the right call too.

TBC and WotLK were still better though imo.^_^

Edited by Lilaina

2 hours ago, Lilaina said:

MoP was better than Cata and WoD for sure.

Basically this.

As for story, WoD recycled TBC and defiled Wacraft I & II, Cata recycled vanilla, straight down to raid bosses. MoP at least tried to bring something new to the table.
I'm not a fan of the interfaction conflict, because, as the Doctor once said, eventually the warring sides will have to do what they were going to do from the very beginning, sit down and talk (and then raid Orgrimmar and defeat Garrosh).
But. A rather large but. MoP tried to bring a breath of fresh air (technically it was 10 000 years old load of pretty stale air trapped under a boatload of mist, but meh) into the whole shebang, and it actually worked. There finally was new lore to learn, new things to discover, and really, the only downside in this department was that the local mongolian expy were cows, despite there already being a species modeled after Mongols - the centaurs.
Bonus points for both Alliance and Horde being the real bad guys here, as many pandapeople pointed out during the expansion. For no matter what our intentions, we bring war.

Then Anduin went and became even bigger Mary Sue, and then Garrosh sprouted tentacles, yeah, that part was silly. In-lore though, it's fun that the old god personifications of negative emotions that a whole race had to learn to suppress to avoid being wiped out couldn't do shit to Garrosh. Because he already was so prideful, so hateful, etc, that there was nothing more they could do to him. I think in the mire that is the "oh well, community doesn't like this char, better make him the orc Hitler" MoP Garrosh lore, this implication is rather clever, all things considered.

Oh and MoP had the same rare monster system as wotlk had - gold, cloth, item, some misc resources AND an achievement. Compare to the extremely shitty system of Cata.

On the other hand, the raid difficulties, the raid and dungeon design (some places even have pitiful amount of trash I heard, so it's quicker to bash the boss' face in), the looks of the items (most of them look like rags)... meh.

And daily hubs in MoP are cancer.

P.S.: @Lilaina your new avatar looks a bit photoshopped.

Edited by Xaverius

Call the exorcist !!! JK .. Yep you are right mop was a lot better than cata and todays WoW.  It had somewhat good story and awesome raiding. I also enjoyed PvP but anything besides the lore, music, zones,monks, pvp and raiding was pretty bad ...

9917566.jpg

Edited by SweN

7 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

I can't help it, I'm too photogenic. B|

Or Jaina is.  ;D

MoP is actually my favorite expansion of them all. I mostly attribute that to MoP being the expansion I took my first, true foray into harder raiding content combined with being heavily invested in Final Fantasy XI during BC. I'd raided before but it was never very consistent and certainly wasn't anything high level. Before MoP, my raiding background was: Karazhan, 25 man Naxx, 25 man ToC, 10 man ICC killing only up to and including Saurfang, some of Firelands, and Dragon Soul. With the exception of Naxx, I was only there once or twice as back ups because the guild I was in was missing a guy. Then MoP happened. I changed my main to a Blood Death Knight and started tanking for my guild, and being in a true progression raiding scene for once sparked that need to raid in me. ToT and SoO are still the two raids I like most because of this reason. Other then finally getting really into the raiding, I enjoyed how there was so much to do out in the world.  I never really ran out of stuff to do until late in the day.

There was really only two things I didn't like with MoP that I can think of. They were Timeless Isle and Scenarios. Timeless Isle had absolutely no direction to it, it was literally "Wander around and kill whatever you see", that's not really my kind of gameplay. I prefer to have a set goal and to work towards it, not "Just kill and kill and kill and kill and hope you get what you want." I pretty much finished the daily quests and left. I saw little point to it. I don't really have a real reason I can think of that made me dislike scenarios, but oh man did they make me mad.

Only thing I enjoyed in MoP was the scenery and landscape. It was quite beautiful. Other than that it's a shit expansion as far as gameplay and original ideas goes. PvP was ok-ish at best.

For me, it was superb.Didnt like pandas as race tho.(pandas as race makes sense, their continent, lost in mists, but that chubby lil cake eating fat panda runing around, waving with those chubby fat fur hands....nah). Horde needs worgens, give fat bears to alliance.

MoP is the only expansion I "played" after Lich King. I say "played" because I logged in, played for a couple days, noticed some of my mounts were missing, put in a support ticket, was essentially told "nah bro" by Blizzard, and demanded a refund. I guess that makes it my favorite by default?

MoP os probably the best expansion for me. Many people praise wotlk, but it was way to grindy at some point with ToC being an awful raid.

Legion started great and I had a fun time playing as a dh, but it went downhill too fast. Basically the absence of Aritfact Power weekly cap and the random legendary system made it so dedicated people went fast ahead and were soon given some sort of priority in raids and other pve/pvp content. 

Pre 4.2 Cata was fun too tbh with Zul dungeons and interesting raids (BoT, BWD, To4W). 

16 hours ago, Sallerius said:

but that chubby lil cake eating fat panda runing around, waving with those chubby fat fur hands....nah

I too was disappointed that Chen Stormstout isn't 3 meters tall. I know scale didn't necessarily apply in WC III, but come on, he was bigger than ever other heroes.

12 hours ago, raveberry said:

Many people praise wotlk, but it was way to grindy at some point with ToC being an awful raid.

Wotlk was sort of a zenith for WoW in several aspects. It marked the culmination and end of the story that began in WC III, it was the biggest wow ever was subscriber-wise and it was the last time Blizzard wasn't bossed around by Activision (got bought by it during wotlk) - therefore this was before the major incremental / instant gratification / browser-like changes to gameplay.

Then they started mingling in all the various currencies and raid difficulties and subscribers started dropping. Then cata hit, ending the good wow. Subscribers dropped accordingly.

Edited by Xaverius

I don't have a lot to contribute, but I'll just say that I enjoy levelling my dwarfette monk on retail, but I'm not too fond of pandas or bears in general. I'm only level 64, so I'm not even in Pandaria yet.

I do hope you are all right, as I've heard the zones and the whole experience is very good.

Edited by ilovecats

2 hours ago, Xaverius said:

I too was disappointed that Chen Stormstout isn't 3 meters tall. I know scale didn't necessarily apply in WC III, but come on, he was bigger than ever other heroes.

Chen Stormstout was the whole reason to keep playing WCIII towards the end of the campaigns, and I like Brewmaster Monks for exactly that reason.  The folks I don't understand are the ones that bellyached about Blizz ripping off Kung Fu Panda.  WCIII (and even Vanilla, remember the wandering turtle carcasses on Darkshore Beach?) came before that flick, so it amuses me that people gave Blizz a hard time for that of all things, when Pandaren are far less derivative than pretty much every other race and set of plotlines in the whole Warcraft universe.

14 hours ago, raveberry said:

MoP os probably the best expansion for me. Many people praise wotlk, but it was way to grindy at some point with ToC being an awful raid.

Legion started great and I had a fun time playing as a dh, but it went downhill too fast. Basically the absence of Aritfact Power weekly cap and the random legendary system made it so dedicated people went fast ahead and were soon given some sort of priority in raids and other pve/pvp content. 

Pre 4.2 Cata was fun too tbh with Zul dungeons and interesting raids (BoT, BWD, To4W). 

The Golden Lotus dailies almost made me quit the game for good, in terms of being grindy.  They did result in a 1 year hiatus.  WoD was the final straw.  Throne of the Four Winds is one of my favorite raids.  Short, fun fights, and absolutely beautiful visually.

Every expansion would of been amazing if they didn't ruin it, by making you level 5 to 10 more times, for each new expansion. I'd rather have all classes maxed out to 60 on each faction and fully geared with t3, than to have a single maxed out 110 toon.

26 minutes ago, Humperdink said:

The Golden Lotus dailies almost made me quit the game for good, in terms of being grindy.

Just dailies in general in Pandaplace. The crane monks island dailies, the tiger temple dailies, the jade dragon dailies, the whatever was that crumbling temple in the west dailies... I guess the only exception was Landfall, since Krasarang actually changed during that. But otherwise, maaaaaan. And of course, Tillers took cooking to its extreme. Plus, I just remembered, the fact you could skip all the previous cooking recipes by just getting their special recipes that skilled 1-whatever using panda resources. For low level chars that need it, this is financially infeasible, for high level chars, it's not necessary!

11 minutes ago, Sallerius said:

That means u played few hours ;)

People keep repeating that and I don't understand it.

I take my time, I level my professions and I'm not covered in heirlooms and boosts and don't spam RDF.

It took me more than a few hours.

3 hours ago, Sallerius said:

Relax, its not u, its them(blizz).

Sorry, but this kind of comments just annoys me.

31 minutes ago, ilovecats said:

Sorry, but this kind of comments just annoys me.

Ok, now im intrigued. So, blizz totally washed up wow, made it "only last exp game matters(1st 80 lvls can be jumped within few days with dungeon finder tool, azeroth- skip, outland- skip, northrend- yup)".When ppl point that out, u get annoyed?

Just now, Sallerius said:

Ok, now im intrigued. So, blizz totally washed up wow, made it "only last exp game matters(1st 80 lvls can be jumped within few days with dungeon finder tool, azeroth- skip, outland- skip, northrend- yup)".When ppl point that out, u get annoyed?

I get annoyed when people expect me to hit level cap in 1 day and do top dps in a top raiding guild.

I'm not interested in any of this.

I subbed because I just want to oneshot the Lich King, and solo farm Wrath dungeons and raids - something I could never do earlier, because I cannot be bothered to go through all the hassle of running level-appropriate content. I'm a dwarf monk and there's nothing better than punching Arthas in his undead face. Hell, Illidan is my favourite character (I'm a bit of a psychotic fangirl of his) but I think I'm still going to run BT and maybe I'll even drop the glaives! I'm all about cool mounts and titles. Celestial Steed OP.