Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Thadius

Let's Break The Ice - Another Q&A

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I just had the pleasure of watching your July 30th Q&A for the first and then second time. It answered a lot of questions that were rolling around my mind, like what the mysterious term of "clustering" meant, or how my Californian ping would be on the server. More than informative, it also felt like I was taking part in a wonderful conversation.

Since February, it's felt a little bit like the hatches of communication have been closed.  The trusting, near-naive honesty that defined this project for me has tightened up a bit. It isn't that the commuincation has become dishonest, it's just that there is less of it. It's a bit colder. 

Now I understand that the forum is the only place where you will discuss this project. I understand why. Still, I ask that you consider holding another Q&A deal like the lovely example above.

The passion of Asura, Rasp, and even the gravelly voiced Crogge was deeply heartening to hear. I know February's pushback from the community must have hurt, but the work that this team is undertaking is deeply meaningful to a lot of people. 

So my request is that we have a light, transparent event to hear some of the developer's perspectives on how the project is progressing, and to also give the community the opportunity to boost your morale with our support.

Edited by Thadius
Typos

Try paging the CM @Outstanding for these sorts of things.

They might have something in the works.

8 minutes ago, Thadius said:

Hi all,

I just had the pleasure of watching your July 30th Q&A for the first and then second time. It answered a lot of questions that were rolling around my mind, like what the mysterious term of "clustering" meant, or how my Californian ping would be on the server. More than informative, it also felt like I was taking part in a wonderful conversation.

Since February, it's felt a little bit like the hatches of communication have been closed.  The trusting, near-naive honesty that defined this project for me has tightened up a bit. It isn't that the commuincation has become dishonest, it's just that there is less of it. It's a bit colder. 

Now I understand that the forum is the only place where you will discuss this project. I understand why. Still, I ask that you consider holding another Q&A deal like the lovely example above.

The passion of Asura, Rasp, and even the gravelly voiced Crogge was deely heartening to hear. I know Februay's pushback from the community must have hurt, but the work that this team is undertaking is deeply meaningful to a lot of people. 

So my request is that we have a light, transparent event to hear some of the developer's perspectives on how the project is progressing, and to also give the community the opportunity to boost your morale with our support.

A perfectly reasoned and rational post, thank you Thadius. I've only been a staff member for a few days so I'm still on my trial period. I'm also not privy to a lot of the plans here in terms of media and communication, but it would be fair to say that I am a key representative of staff on these forums and so obligated to give you a formal response.

There is a video(s) in the making that's no big secret, but the guys got burnt bad by the toxicity of the Legacy Gaming Network fallout. Your summerisation ''trusting, near-naive honesty'' has had all the innocence removed in double quick time, so I would not expect to have open panel discussions in that light in the future, unless under a more rigid control mechanism. That being said, I'll put the suggestion to the staff members for feedback and we will revert with any news. One thing that does need updating is the FAQ on the forums too,

Video suggestions are on this thread here after I successfully hijacked the one from Elicas:

In addition, I have my own ''bridge building'' ideas in my head, currently being discussed with staff to see if we can make things a little bit more positive around here, development-wise.

I shall now unsummon myself, and thank you

5 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

A perfectly reasoned and rational post, thank you Thadius. I've only been a staff member for a few days so I'm still on my trial period. I'm also not privy to a lot of the plans here in terms of media and communication, but it would be fair to say that I am a key representative of staff on these forums and so obligated to give you a formal response.

There is a video(s) in the making that's no big secret, but the guys got burnt bad by the toxicity of the Legacy Gaming Network fallout. Your summerisation ''trusting, near-naive honesty'' has had all the innocence removed in double quick time, so I would not expect to have open panel discussions in that light in the future, unless under a more rigid control mechanism. That being said, I'll put the suggestion to the staff members for feedback and we will revert with any news. One thing that does need updating is the FAQ on the forums too,

Video suggestions are on this thread here after I successfully hijacked the one from Elicas:

In addition, I have my own ''bridge building'' ideas in my head, currently being discussed with staff to see if we can make things a little bit more positive around here, development-wise.

I shall now unsummon myself, and thank you

That's outstanding, @Outstanding! It's reassuring to hear that I'm jot the only one who has noticed the shift in mood around this place. But I'm hopeful that you'll help the devs and the community heal and get back on track.

1 hour ago, Thadius said:

It's reassuring to hear that I'm jot the only one who has noticed the shift in mood around this place. But I'm hopeful that you'll help the devs and the community heal and get back on track.

So for further feedback. Another FFA Q&A session is extremely unlikely. There may well be more interview-style videos in the future but they will be pretty regulated.

No issues in having a Q&A session as a video where the questions are known beforehand and answers can be prepared. So if you and the community would like to see that, I can start a thread or you can promote one yourselves.

I realise this takes away from the cosy and relaxed atmosphere the community was based upon and becomes a little bit fake and controlled, but sadly that's a reflection on the toxic part of the wider Pserver community and not this one. I don't think that's necessarily a correct reflection of that wider community too, but the few toxic individuals and groups seem to be exceptionally vocal and obvious to the expense of everyone else.

Last bit, we will update the FAQ to make it more current. This should happen shortly and I'll put a memo down to remind me.

Cheers. 

One of the things that the Dev's have commented on in a few places is how with as the server develops there has to be more separation from the staff and the community as a whole; there can't be the same level of interaction and open discourse provided because anything the staff says gets held as a promise and brought against them. I came in right as this transition was beginning back in August (check Dark's updates from then), and was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't be able to have the same level of interaction with the staff that was apparent from the forums prior to that.

Honestly though, it's definitely for the best. Especially considering how things went with the LGN announcement and fallout, I'm sure the staff is only redoubling their efforts to make all of their posts official and not leave room for vagaries or interpretation.  As the community continues to grow, more opinions will be formed based on any information provided directly from the staff, and there will be more and more people who do not care about the community that has been fostered here over the past year or more and just want to play the game or have things handed to them. There will be more posts demanding answers and accountability from the staff in one aspect or another, and there isn't really anything that can prevent that. The best that can be done is to try and prepare for it, and one big sign of that is @Outstanding's new role as CM. It's a shame, but that is just how these things go.