Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

HarTstaRx

Shadowbanning bots

Could It be possible to shadow ban bots? Like, instead of banning them, erasing their bags & gold, making them lvl 1... This way botters would not interfere with the rest of the server and wouldnt be aware till they pay attention.

7 hours ago, Thadius said:

I'm not sure what you mean.

Shadowbanning has two meanings, depending on context.

The first meaning is for goldsellers, and is that instead of banning the account outright (so the gold sellers just make a new account) they are instead 'banned' from world chat etc. You don't get a message when you are shadow banned, your message output still looks fine, but no one sees it. This means the goldsellers spend longer on a bot account being ineffective. This is similar to being shadowbanned from a sub on reddit.

The second meaning, as per the OP, is for people running bot programs. Instead of banning the account and having the botter create a new account from scratch and have to be detected all over again, he wants the characters caught botting to be deleveled to level 1, all items, bags and gold removed. This means the botter loses all progress and all gains, but still has the account and is easy to find again if they decide to bot again.

Opinion piece here:

We warmly welcome any suggestions and opinions on how to combat rogue elements in the game. A lot of these suggestions have merit and are worthwhile considering. By and large though, don't expect us to indicate what we will do in specific terms because this allows the opposition to make plans to counter them. We're also not going to take a blasé attitude like other servers and tell you everything will be fine and it'll be a gold spamming and bot free experience, because it won't be.

Gold selling/spamming/botting successfully on CF realms will be challenging, but it will be very much ''challenge accepted'' knowing them.

As always, regardless of the measures put it in place the two key components are, the vigilance and assistance of the community to highlight spammers/botters, and the willingness of the staff to act upon this, having checked the facts first. We are after all, all in this together.

So keep those suggestions, thoughts and opinions coming.

3 hours ago, Elicas said:

This means the botter loses all progress and all gains, but still has the account and is easy to find again if they decide to bot again.

Wouldn't they just create a new account after that to start with a clean slate?

6 minutes ago, Shady_Lizard said:

Wouldn't they just create a new account after that to start with a clean slate?

The idea is that since they are running an auto bot in the background, unless they check it regularly they will lose hours if not days of time on an account that can easily be tracked.

Once they've caught on to the fact they've been rumbled, then yes, they move to a new account. This is more a suggestion for easily countering large bot farms from a certain country that can be left running for weeks at a time.

Personally, I think since we're launching with a VPN ban anyway, just straight up permabanning every account caught will fix the situation.

One thing would be to recognize the obvious and not get caught missing the forest for the tree. If a human paladin with named xiao is farming elites in epl 20 hours a day, doesnt do dungeons, bgs, or talk to anyone, that is a gold seller. If a warrior from grizzly has 5 days played and is 60 with epic mount and 300/300 professions.. he exploited and duped. People are going to try every trick in the book to reset dungeon bosses for preraid gear. The second the server goes live level 1 hackers are going to try and tp hack for every world chest and hack for the scholo chest and I hope there are people waiting to ban them.

I think I read elsewhere that they are changing some things in the core to make tracking of hacking much easier, plus the vpn ban should stonewall mass botting.

I'll really have faith when I see a player from a "big name" guild get banned for duping or instance exploiting.

I assume the Dev's are building some tools to help detect cheating into the server since they are literally building it from the ground up. I don't have any way to prove that, nor will I speculate as to what those would be in case I guess correctly. It's just that it's what I would do if I were in their position. The community here (both players and staff) do not have a lot of tolerance for any form of cheating, so I imagine it will be dealt with swiftly and intelligently.

Blocking legitiment forms of farming for players who are following the rules, that aren't even broken relative to other methods which are abitrarily decided to be okay is a great way to promote botting and gold selling.

Remember, the people botting typically run mutiple accounts at once. Shadowbanning one or reseting its stats and removing items overall is just a small thorn in the side of a giant beast. This really means that catching one really doesn't do as much as you think. Allowing players to not feel the need to purchase from them however is far more damaging to them in the long run. If no one or very few are buying, why sell?