Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonnyDonowitz

Which entity inspires you?

Hello Crestfall,

Once again I opening an opportunity to share our thought as a community. 

We all have something that inspires us as we feel connected to it, either be artists, celebrities, politicians even your parents. It can even be your pets. As a conscious being we usually pick these role models due to different motives and emotions. And because this a WoW based forum I'm going to add both a IRL role model and a WoW role model because we all have those characters that we fall in love and would follow into battle at any time.

IRL Role Model

I got to say it has to be Kendrick Lamar. The man is one of the most hard-working artists in his industry due to all the effort he puts in his lyricism and producing. Also assimilate his disgust towards people who disrespect the things he loves. And also the way how he didn't join the rest of his mates in infamous activities and that he got through all that pressure of growing up in a infamous neighborhood jsut shows the perseverance and resilliance of the man. 

WoW Role Model

Broxigar Saurfang. His sense of duty when protecting the mountain pass in the Third War. How he embraced his fate in the end that the only way to honor his fallen comrades was to fight till the very end. To protect your world and their new found comrades. He died like a true orc. Sacrificing himself so others may live. Anyone that does that is worthy of my blade and I will definitly follow him till the end. 

I shared mine, what are yours?

My parents are probably the closest thing to a role model that I have.

Some rl celebs that I either find inspiring or want to be like:

John Lennon
Robert Downey Jr.
Jim Cummings
Jennifer Hale
Obama
J.K. Rowling
Teemu Selänne
Mikael Granlund
Veera Kauppi
Nelson Mandela
Stephen Hawking
Oprah

Some fictional characters I fangirled over as a kid  found inspiring as a kid:

Harry Potter
Ciri
Drizzt
Frodo

WoW characters are probably not very good role models considering how most of them solve everything with violence and are obsessed with honor/glory/warfare. Gnomes in general are pretty inspiring I guess: They lost their home but remain positive and good-natured and they invent things because they like it and not because they want wealth or to kill things.

I'm grateful that my parents managed to support me, mostly financially, over a couple of years. And that, even though some of the shit they pulled made me want to be different from them, we can still hold a civilized conversation from time to time.

RL role model would have to be Ed Snowden. Smart, brave, creative. Being capable of making tough but intelligent choices when it counts. These are qualities I admire.

Among the many fictional characters I find inspiring Toph from Avatar stands out the most. Heaps of confidence backed up by raw skill, thus overcoming a handicap or even turning it into an advantage.

Role model in WoW is definitely classic Tabetha. If you ever levelled a mage past 40, you know who I mean.

My parents, Arnold Schwarzenegger & Carl Sagan.

Elon Musk, Noam Chomsky, Nick Bostrom, Slavoj Zizek, Linux, Hinduism.

Lieutenant Joe Kenda. 

If you know who that is, I know you agree. 

And of course, the only real role model ever, JC. 

I'm not really sure I can call myself inspired by anything, really.  There are a great many people and ideas that I find interesting or engrossing or praiseworthy, but I'm not huge on heroes.  What I do love and value, is catharsis.  I like to rock hard, laugh loud, etc.  At it's best it's a great feeling that stimulates your heart and your mind in one way or another.  Some people that I've gained something from, aside from teachers or parents or friends or my wife and daughter, would probably be these:

Politics n' philosophy:

Washington and Lincoln among early American presidents, for obvious reasons.  More recent presidents would be FDR, Eisenhower, and Obama, with a nod to Jimmy Carter as the best modern ex president (that dude's done some serious work after he lost to Reagan).

People that are closer to me ideologically are Mikhail Bakunin (the most prominent dude that told Marx that his method wouldn't work, from the left) and Chomsky, though anarcho-syndicalism has serious issues with scale and use of force guidelines, among other things.   It's where my heart is, but I know it has its limitations.  And I've kinda stopped following Chomsky.  Dude hasn't said anything new in years.

Other interesting 20th century figures to me (some more villains than heroes, or both in the same person) include De Gaulle, Gandhi, King and Malcolm X, Mandela, Mugabe, Yitzhak Rabin, Deng Xioping, Antonio Gramsci, and Churchill.

I haven't read a ton from the ancients.  I sympathized with Plato at times, and his writing clearly translates well to English because it's not bad for what it is, but I disagree with him more than not.  Aristotle I'm more in agreement with of the two, but a lot of his stuff is like reading an appliance manual, father of modern western academia or not.  Cicero is one of the more interesting Roman guys I've read, though Juvenal and Horace are more fun (love me some satire).  From more recent people I find Foucault interesting reading when I feel like digging into something, but I'm old and lazy and can't be bothered much with critical theory these days.

Among religious figures the ol' JC and the Dalai Lama are interesting certainly, but I'm not actively religious, and Buddhism is more a philosophy of life than a religion anyway.

Culturally I'm about rock music, stand up comedy, and trippy novels.

Some writers I've loved are Herman Hesse, Leslie Marmon Silko, Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet is overrated though, seriously), Jonathan Swift, William Blake, William S Burroughs, and Salman Rushdie.

Among artists and performers Kurt Cobain got me through my adolescence, and I still put Nirvana on for an energy boost or a sorely-needed outlet in the car at high volume from time to time.  Jerry Cantrell is another favorite from the same era and place, and has the advantage of still being alive and making music (albeit without his vocal partner Layne Staley).  I love the Pixies, Mudhoney (seriously, Mark Arm did punk rock sneer as well as anyone in the American scene), Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine (Audioslave was a substandard bi-product of the two bands, but it had a few decent songs, Like A Stone and Moth immediately come to mind), Tool, or if I'm feeling more sedate, something like Modest Mouse or Wilco.  Classic rock is great too.  Love me some Led Zeppelin.  I also enjoy bombastic classical.  The 1812 Overture, the Firebird Suite, and A Night on Bald Mountain are all favorites. 

Among comedians my first real obsession was with Bill Hicks.  These days my favorite is probably Patton Oswalt, but I like stand up in general and I'll give anybody a shot. 

17 hours ago, Humperdink said:

Among artists and performers Kurt Cobain got me through my adolescence, and I still put Nirvana on for an energy boost or a sorely-needed outlet in the car at high volume from time to time.  Jerry Cantrell is another favorite from the same era and place, and has the advantage of still being alive and making music (albeit without his vocal partner Layne Staley).  I love the Pixies, Mudhoney (seriously, Mark Arm did punk rock sneer as well as anyone in the American scene), Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine (Audioslave was a substandard bi-product of the two bands, but it had a few decent songs, Like A Stone and Moth immediately come to mind), Tool, or if I'm feeling more sedate, something like Modest Mouse or Wilco.  Classic rock is great too.  Love me some Led Zeppelin.  I also enjoy bombastic classical.  The 1812 Overture, the Firebird Suite, and A Night on Bald Mountain are all favorites. 

Very nice stuff. When it comes to that era, Mr. Corgen and the Smashing Pumpkins have a special place in my heart. 

Nice.  I could trade vids on 90s rock alone for ages.

Posted (edited)

On 29. 3. 2017 at 7:20 PM, Ugondiss said:

JC

JC Denton is the best, I agree.

It would be somewhat silly to get inspired by one specific entity. The history of mankind is aswirl with ideas and interpretations and re-interpretations and virtues and moral codes and you should be free to grab and interpret your own. Of course, some have proven to work more than others.
A role model then is nothing but an individual who happens to have accumulated a significant amount of traits that you hold in importance.

For me, it really changes depending on the mood, and depending on the niche of human activity I am thinking about at the moment.

For example, a person that automatically inspires respect in me, was mr. Christopher Lee. In writing, Victor Hugo for first properly using recurring characters, John Tolkien for crafting an incredibly sturdy framework interwoven with mythology and linguistics, and Terry Pratchet, for writing a 40-book fantasy series almost entirely based on absurd satire and getting away with it.
Oh and lately I've become interested in professor Jordan B. Peterson. His lectures are fantastic.

But those are just shards of the greater fount of ideas and principles. Everyone can reach out and touch them and see what they like and what they disagree with. Sometimes, after all taking this all in and churning it around in your head for a bit, you end up inspiring yourself and that's called "having principles". For example: "Never be sorry." Now looking at the face value of it, to never be sorry is very rude and unrepentant. Good, I got your attention. People (yes #notallhomosapiens) say sorry on a daily basis, mostly using it as a automatic rebuke than actually feeling sorry. Saying sorry is convenient, cheap and quick way to stop the other person from being offended/hurt at you without the need ot explain yourself. And that's precisely why you should never be sorry. You should explain yourself and give reasons for why you did what you did, so they understand you. Then you apologize. Being sorry is best saved for situations you have no control over. I suppose this ties into the principle of trying to be as good as you can, despite your shortcomings and flaws and failings. Because ultimately, there's only one way to fail, one mortal sin: To give up.

Edited by Xaverius