Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anty757

Making seasonal ladders (suggs)

Posted (edited)

I wanted to offer a suggestion to the crestfall game designers. I love classic world of warcraft very much with the hit parry 50% miss chance mechanics and slow casual friendly gameplay (no complex rotations or addons macros or complicated raid boss mechanics)

So my suggestion is to make ladder styled server. Maybe every 8 months to 1 year reset the vanilla wow ladder server back to the first content patch, and everybody create new characters again to level to 60 and start dire maul. Then every 1-2 months release content patch after content patch.

This would keep crest fall designers with a job and keep them in business. What i fear most is that we make vanilla wow characters, and play them through all the expansions and then we will get bored...and i am equally worried after the "raid race" finishes  the vanilla wow servers will be abandon and the hype train will go away and it will be hard to raid in a fresh guild from molten core to AQ to ZG to naxx  after the Naxx patch has been out for several years.  Me i love to play vanilla wow for more than 6 years maybe for as long as possible. Most people who want to play vanilla wow will transfer to the BC server or quit or lose hype. 

It would be good if a vanilla wow server could keep resetting so you could try different classes and hit 60 and re-do the raid race overs and overs and overs. Would keep content fresh and last longer.

Maybe people don't like vanilla wow gameplay but only love to gank in STV or / and / also love to be a top raid racing guild and want to be the best.

Look at kronos and elysium. What will happen when the raid race hype is gone ? are supposed to focus on pvp to keep vanilla servers alive for more than 6 years ? i hope crestfall adds more content to vanilla wow servers that didn't existed back in vanilla wow OR they do ladder raid race resets to keep it fresh.

Thanks for reading this, i hope my feedback helps. 

Edited by Anty757

Posted (edited)

A big problem with this idea is the time investment . Let's say it is accepted and Crestfall goes that way , what about the people who work hard for their gear and character progression , wouldn't that discourage them at the beginning knowing that at the end (after 8 months to 1 year) their characters will be wiped and they have to start all over again .

And after all , this is Vanilla , many people came here because of what it represents , slow progression but rewarding and at the end you feel that you have accomplished something and also the fact that it is what a MMO should be , a world that feels alive , something you don't see in retail anymore but that is another topic to discuss   . 

My main point is that your idea is good , don't get me wrong , but it just does not work with WoW , maybe with today's (WoW) but not with Vanilla and the Burning Crusade .

Edited by SweN

This is an interesting idea. I don't know how viable it would be in the beginning, but once progression moves onto TBC it could be a good way to keep the vanilla experience fresh. I don't know that the community would want to give up their progress and attachment to their characters, though. Thinking about it where I am now, there's no way I would be for this. But if it's 2 years from now and I have the option to start on a fresh vanilla server, that might be a lot more appealing.

I think ultimately, I would rather just roll a new character, even if it is the same class I already have maxed out. I wouldn't want to risk losing the relationships I had built over the time I had invested on the server. You an usually get enough people together to do the content you want to see, and you could probably generate enough interest in a guild that progressed through content in the order it had been released to make that a viable option.

I keep getting caught up on the first line. "Slow Friendly Casual Gameplay". Have I been playing a different Vanilla WoW all this time? Never seemed particularly casual to me, compared to the other xpacs.

Posted (edited)

uhm no i dont wanna restart all my charachters oO i want them to be old like 8years. if u think im dreaming then no i am not, people playing since feenix and thats a long time until today. keep restarting characters on new servers is boring.

I wouldnt even start playing at all if that was a thing.

Edited by Brikot

10 minutes ago, Brikot said:

uhm no i dont wanna restart all my charachters oO i want them to be old like 8years. if u think im dreaming then no i am not, people playing since feenix and thats a long time until today. keep restarting characters on new servers is boring.

I wouldnt even start playing at all if that was a thing.

I mean, the server would still have the option to push your main characters through xpacs.  Do you want to spend 8 years on a vanilla server though if you don't choose to PTE?  I could understand fresh vanilla realms after 2 or 3 years.  This I think is all to be decided sometime far in the future.

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, Kelila said:

I keep getting caught up on the first line. "Slow Friendly Casual Gameplay". Have I been playing a different Vanilla WoW all this time? Never seemed particularly casual to me, compared to the other xpacs.

If you compare it to other MMO's at the time it was actually pretty casual :D . But yes if you compared it to WOTLK and onward things become pretty different .

Edited by SweN

Just now, SweN said:

If you compare it to other MMO's at the time it was actually pretty casual :D . 

Well shit, I didn't realize how much of a casual I actually was ;)

1 minute ago, Kelila said:

Well shit, I didn't realize how much of a casual I actually was ;)

It depends on how you understand the meaning of ''Casual player in World of Warcraft'' :D 

1 hour ago, Kelila said:

I mean, the server would still have the option to push your main characters through xpacs.  Do you want to spend 8 years on a vanilla server though if you don't choose to PTE?  I could understand fresh vanilla realms after 2 or 3 years.  This I think is all to be decided sometime far in the future.

Uhm, as far as i know aslong as there are enough people playing on vanilla it stays.

While it's a great idea, currently our only plan is to stay PTE. We don't wish to divert resources into making a "ladder system" and maintain it, but want to keep using our resources to work on content for the future.

If it were possible, it would be on a vanilla only realm. But our primary goal is to progress through expansions.

22 minutes ago, Brikot said:

Uhm, as far as i know aslong as there are enough people playing on vanilla it stays.

Yes absolutely! I just don't think any pserver community has seen vanilla content last for 4 years though.  I know the TBC launch will be at maybe 18 months or something, I was thinking that that vanilla server would last another 2 years on top of that.  After that point, I'm not sure there will be enough new players (because 60's have had T3 for years at that point) who want to roll on a server with inflated gold and prices, and no content progression in order to keep it alive.  But yes, you are right, if the demand is there to keep a vanilla server for 8 years then the devs have said it'll stay.  I'm just very curious to see how that all plays out.

WoW vanilla casual gaming releases

Buy it now for 69.99$

For the hardcore/casual comparison, my mind always goes to the trek trying to get to a different starting area. If you think the run from Teldrasil to Ironforge/Stormwind is bad, you should load EverQuest and try the run from Qeynos to Greater Faydark or vice/versa.

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, Retrac47 said:

For the hardcore/casual comparison, my mind always goes to the trek trying to get to a different starting area. If you think the run from Teldrasil to Ironforge/Stormwind is bad, you should load EverQuest and try the run from Qeynos to Greater Faydark or vice/versa.

Do not speak so carelessly of such horrors.

Edited by Bluemoon

If you wanted a real ladder, I'd rather see the following;

Fresh released server, specifically as a 'ladder' server.
This lasts for 6 months or until KT dies, whichever comes first.
Starts on 1.12 with ALL content open from day 1. No progressive patches, a simple race to the finish line for all involved.
???
Profit.

Devs then have literally zero work to do on running an extra realm, you take a single repack of Benediction in its 'final form', and release it once a year, with half a year down times.