Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buddhaseyes

Legion creature-models in Vanilla

Hello!

There has been a threat about this and someone of the stuff said that it will be detected by their anticheat. (If the anticheat is already implemented) can some of the beta testers try it out? Cause it is a nice and refreshing look in comparison to all those vanilla pixels ^^

http://www.model-changing.net/blogs/blog/65-release-improved-models-for-112/

Greetings, Buddhaseyes

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, Cruzix said:

d205614c9e64cd4faca77a6553d5869e.png

What do you mean with this? How is this reply constructive?

26 minutes ago, buddhaseyes said:

Hello!

There has been a threat about this and someone of the stuff said that it will be detected by their anticheat. (If the anticheat is already implemented) can some of the beta testers try it out? Cause it is a nice and refreshing look in comparison to all those vanilla pixels ^^

http://www.model-changing.net/blogs/blog/65-release-improved-models-for-112/

Greetings, Buddhaseyes

I'd also be interested in knowing this. This is a pretty cool mod and would be nice to have it running. I hope the anticheat does not flag it as cheating. Kronos has a pretty strict cheat / hacking / multibox policy and there you can use this without trouble. But of course this should not influence CF's policy.

Edited by loeth

Looks cool. Wouldn't mind playing with prettier graphics if the mod affects most models/textures in the game. If it only revamps some, they'll just stick out like a sore thumb from all the other blurry pixels.

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, loeth said:

What do you mean with this? How is this reply constructive?

Does it necessarily have to be constructive?, it was just my reaction to it since I personally cannot understand why anyone would want their vanilla game to look like legion - especially that skeleton mount in the video made me a bit sad to see... http://i.imgur.com/iXRwA7b.png

Anyways, as he say himself this has been a discussed topic on the forums before and what it came down to was that the anti-cheat can potentially detect you and ban/kick/whatever so use it at ur own risk. It has also been said that this might be "green lighted" far down the road, but for now the focus is obviously elsewhere. Also testing it on the beta server now won't do any good for anyone, the server haven't released yet and a lot of stuff is still to be changed.

Another thing with this model changing thing is that it CAN be used to gain advantage in game. Such as changing models for things to make them easier visible (Huge herb/vein spawn as an example).

Edit:
I just don't see the point of having a game where a big part of it is to look "cool" or whatever, and if your gear/mount/NPC's looks different to every other play then whats the point. It's just weird.

Edited by Cruzix

The only thing i would be interested in are the new charakter models tbh. But not at the cost of opening doors for exploiting.

Still some people, like me think that new models are not prettier. Actually they look too lame and not within the lore of the race. They just follow the new trend - stupid animations and gestures.

Surprise surprise, this is my opinion.

The new models are (s)hit and pmiss. The only reason I'd come close to calling the female models "okay" is the high quality [redacted] and [redacted]. But since I like to think I'm better than that I'll still say they're pretty bad. No need to even bring up the male ones. Ugh. But still, I can squint my eyes and make the new textures and models look a lot less shit. Now the animations... yikes.

To this day I still wonder how much drugs it took to make someone in that office think that the new male orc running animation is even somewhat okay. Or the new male nelf walking animation. Or 90% of all the new animations. And don't even get me started on the facial animations.

Nowadays characters in WoW look like something you'd see in a shitty korean MMO. Why? Because of the new artstyle. Bland as can be.

Note that this isn't me saying that cartoony = bad. Warcraft has always been cartoony. The thing is that in the past the style was completely different and actually good. Now it's, as I said, bland as fuck. It's not "Warcraft cartoony" but just cartoony. I don't even know if Cartoon Network airs shit like this nowadays.

I personally don't think it's worth the time investment to test such a thing, no matter how little time we're talking about. Infact I don't think it's worth any kind of investment at all. Not to mention it was already tried on a WoTLK client and it was pretty bad.

I'll keep my old and outdated game old and outdated. If anything, I'll just supersample or downscale.

This would be a cool option for those who want it. However, I'm something of a purist, I prefer the old models.

Most of people on this forum will be against such thing. However I would love this to be an option, cuz I love these new models way more that old ones. 

I would love to change those FelWeed models to some Azuregos/Onyxia model.

It makes so much easier spot these.

Posted (edited)

From what I've seen a lot of other servers ban you for this sort of thing, because you can model edit black lotus to look like the dark portal for example, so you can see it a lot more easily. Also you can model edit gates to campfires, or model edit WSG so you can walk under the map, etc.

That being said, I knew people who used the legion models on Nost and didn't get banned. But to be safe I would say don't use it.

Plus, part of the classic WoW charm is the ugly character models :P

Edited by Jon

The only thing that I'd swap from classic wow is the water. Man, it's so ugly! 

49 minutes ago, Dennis said:

The only thing that I'd swap from classic wow is the water. Man, it's so ugly! 

Can't add any of this shit, but Cata water was dope

Yeah, it's gorgeous, I love it!

Wow gfx weren't even that good back in 2004-5, but wow at the time wasnt ever about that. I'm new to the pserver scene and I'm loving it as I'd never thought I'd get to play vanilla again, i think you will find that the majority of old skoollers will prefer everything as it was, is wasnt perfect but it was probably the best game any of us has ever played, faults included. We all wish to relive that. I dont even notice/compare the gfx, i just love the game :D

I can understand newer players wanted better models etc but vanilla is vanilla, please accept it warts and all.

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, Jai said:

Wow gfx weren't even that good back in 2004-5, but wow at the time wasnt ever about that.

Actually, for an MMORPG, they were pretty great. Few people owned systems that could run wow well back in the early days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the thread at hand, testing custom models now would be fairly fruitless, not only is it out of the scope of the beta currently, but the project's stance on mods like this are also subject to change. It's more a matter of policy than it is testing.

The current plan as I know it, is basically every mod or hack is basically not allowed by default, but things may be white-listed later on. It's fairly low priority ATM, so it's best worrying about it closer to launch. Other stuff that fall into a similar category as this would be the FOV fix, and grass distance enhancer.

The common argument against model swap mods is that, how do we tell the different between this and say, replacing all herbs with large markers, or making the Flag in WSG huge so you always know where it is.

I could go on about what I think about model replacement mods, but I think that's besides the point of the thread.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

Maybe for an mmo at the time but they still weren't great, not that the gfx were ever the reason ppl pld, blizz made a solid game that released at the right time ie when ppl were getting half decent internet, broadband over dial up.

My geforce 2 ti 200 only ever struggled at the tarren mill/southshore raids :D

17 hours ago, Jai said:

Maybe for an mmo at the time but they still weren't great, not that the gfx were ever the reason ppl pld, blizz made a solid game that released at the right time ie when ppl were getting half decent internet, broadband over dial up.

My geforce 2 ti 200 only ever struggled at the tarren mill/southshore raids :D

Geforce 2 ti200? is that a rare pokemon? :ph34r: