Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Macfury

Possible ninja looting fix?

Long time lurker, first time poster.   I read this interesting topic on another forum and I was interested in what others think about this possible fix for all the drama due to players ninja looting.  I know this may not be blizzlike, but it might be something the devs could consider and help alleviate the gms time wasted with tickets about players ninja looting.  How about when the group leader sets the loot option to "Need before Greed", anyone who hits need on a BOE item will cause said item to become bind on pickup instead, but if you hit greed it will stay BOE and sellable.

That would definitely work.  I keep trying to hate this idea, but every time I think of why this would hurt players, my scenario is solved with people just hitting greed. For example in a guild run, if you are farming gear with your guild for an alt, you'd all just select greed instead of need.  This would definitely punish players for needing items they don't plan to equip.  I don't foresee the devs implementing this sort of change to looting mechanics though. Very interesting discussion point.  I will also say, it seems like the worst cases of ninja looting are in Raids and an issue of untrustworthy members having access to master looting.  There is also the problems of a green that someone mistakenly needs on, a lot of times I've seen the person have everyone /roll and then trade the item accordingly.

I also have no idea how difficult of a change it would be to have BOE and BOP copies of all of those items.

Posted (edited)

Only possible downside to this would probably be that there would be players who didn't know about this new loot rule because it doesn't exist on retail. If a rare BoE would drop and everyone wanted to sell it on AH, 1 person might roll need instead of greed because she doesn't know better and if she wins no one will be able to sell it on AH. Obviously not an issue for hardcore guilds, just casual pugs. Still, I don't think they'll implement this seeing how Blizzard never has done so either.

edit.

Another possible issue in some cases would be that you can't roll on a BoE to increase the likelihood of a certain person getting the item over someone else. For instance, if the Warden Staff were to drop, and the group had a druid tank who needs it and a noob mage that wants the staff because it looks cool and is epic, I would roll on that staff just so I could trade it to the druid who actually needs its over the mage who doesn't but rolls on it anyway. With this system I couldn't and the druid would have a 50/50 chance to get it. Technically the mage has the same right to roll on that staff but it's pretty obvious that the druid should get it.

Edited by Lilaina

"Ninja looting" is another term that came from earlier MMOs and isn't really an issue in World of Warcraft the same way that it was previously. If you think someone is going to "Need" an item, just wait until everyone else has hit their selection. There's nothing that forces you to press "Greed" or "Need" before anyone else. Honestly, you should just communicate with the group beforehand on how they want to handle BoE gear. That makes it easy if you do end up needing to get a GM involved later because you can show them in your chat log that everyone agreed to whatever method beforehand. If I got a ticket as a GM requesting to remove an item from a character because he/she rolled "Need" when everyone else in the group rolled "Greed", I would feel bad for you, but I would tell you that's your own fault. If you showed me in a chat log where they specifically agreed to handle it a specific way, I might consider it, but ultimately lying to other players isn't against the rules, and if you get deceived, well, just be more careful next time. If someone does that, it's their own reputation that gets damaged, so just spread the word for people not to group with that person. It's very hard to hide from a bad reputation when you can't change your character's name.

Posted (edited)

em... Hi
What about " Need before Greed "
http://vanilla-wow.wikia.com/wiki/Loot

Not even talking about master loot coz it's obvious...

Let's be serious, there's always this guy who doesn't understand phrases like:
"roll for the chest please"
or
"please everyone press greed if 16-slot bag drops"

But the problem is not because it can be fixed - It's about players. You can't fix players.

Edited by duzyizly
joking...