Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ugondiss

Skinning mobs

I think I have this in the right spot...

So while traversing Azeroth on a different vanilla server, I was leveling my drood, and had to kill some Moonkin mobs. When killed, it was a surprise to me when they were skinnable.

Is my memory just that bad? It felt wrong, and I don't remember moonkins being a skinnable mob.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Ugondiss said:

I think I have this in the right spot...

So while traversing Azeroth on a different vanilla server, I was leveling my drood, and had to kill some Moonkin mobs. When killed, it was a surprise to me when they were skinnable.

Is my memory just that bad? It felt wrong, and I don't remember moonkins being a skinnable mob.

Moonkins are humanoids, so no they cannot be skinned. What was the exact name of the mob?

Edit:
They should not be skinnable*

Edited by Cruzix

Just like centaurus, 60-70% of their body got animal skin, but you are not that cruel to skin them or owlbeasts...

Ty. Glad I remembered something correctly from years ago. 

The Moonkin/Owlkin/Owlbeasts in Darkshore, on darrowshire, are skinnable. 

Posted (edited)

I once thought that due to their savage tendencies, Trolls should be able to skin humanoids.

Edited by ilovecats

Only beasts can be skinned. The server you played on got it wrong.

High quality memelizium(nostrils) strikes again...

I'm almost certain that the moonkin in Darkshore are supposed to be skinnable despite being humanoids. I would commit genocide on them for eggs, and I remember skinning them as well. I haven't played retail since WotLK, so could be that they were changed at some point.

Oh Elysium, the owlkin in the hinterlands are skinnable. They drop thick leather. I don't know if thats supposed to be the case but I think so.

Yeti's are humanoids and are very skinnable

I could be wrong but I remember some moonkin being skinnable and some not

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure the Darkshore moonkin were definitely an exception to this rule, Yeti's as well (in feralas and winterspring). Let's see what some research can turn up.

Edited by Kelila

3 hours ago, Cruzix said:

humanoids, so no they cannot be skinned

1 hour ago, Salvia said:

Only beasts can be skinned. The server you played on got it wrong.

I suppose retail got it wrong too then, since the yetis in Feralas and Winterspring at the very least were skinnable.

2 hours ago, Legron said:

Just like centaurus, 60-70% of their body got animal skin, but you are not that cruel to skin them

Centaur_Rug.jpg

I always thought that everything should be skinnable, except maybe undead

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

I suppose retail got it wrong too then, since the yetis in Feralas and Winterspring at the very least were skinnable.

Right, there's a few exceptions such as Yeti's and possibly more. But not Moonkins :D 

edit:
Moonkins do however show up as skinnable on vanillagaming's db but they got that wrong, old comments says otherwise + retail wowhead also doesn't show them as skinnable while the yeti's do

Edited by Cruzix

Posted (edited)

So if it's not moonkins, did nostalrius/elysiusm get that wrong because of the wowhead/vanillagaming entry about them? I know it's not a very reliable source and probably wrong, but that does explain why elysium has it wrong ;). http://db.vanillagaming.org/?npc=10158#skinning

Edited by Kelila

I could have sworn that the owlkin in Hinterlands are skinnable.

Posted (edited)

Hmm...
In Vanilla, You can't sap druids while they are shifted into cat/bear/moonkin/seal form (because sap can be only used on humanoids).
Due to wowhead Owlbeasts are humanoids (they still have "beast" in their names...), but they are not skinable.
Due to popular vanilla database (you know which one) they are humanoids but they are skinable.
Most of vanilla p-servers or all of vanilla p-servers are probably using that "known" database.
Y, it's vanillagaming.org.
The problem is that probably none of old retail players is going to rememeber if he/she ever skinned owlbeasts in Hinterlands (back in 2004-2006), because back in those days nobody gived a fok about it ; )
And because these "old retail players" have already played one or few p-servers the stuff might be mixed in their heads.
The 2nd problem... Maybe it was possible (to skin em) and it was a bug, and Blizzard didn't fixed it before cata (coz it's semms like low priority bug). Or maybe this one blizzard folk who was implementing owlbeast was cruel, bdsm person or he just completed BG2 bridge district quest and had a great idea to...
Anyways...
Since when skinning is bad?
Big regards,
Chuck Testa.

aaa.png

PS: Is that possible to skin pandas in MoP? I hope so...

Edited by duzyizly

It was 100% possible to skin Yeti's back in 2005. I farmed the ones in Feralas and Winterspring back in those days with my rogues for leatherworking.

But I m not sure about the owlbeast. I think it wasn't possible because they counted somehow as a "bird" and birds can't be skinned, but i cant find any source to proof. 

while thinking of this I remember these "worgen" mobs in silverpine/duskwood/sfk. I think they counted as humanoids and were sheepable - and if I am right they were also skinnable.

Well, I hope the developer team can do some research on this and implement it properly.

no archived comments and/or loottable show any sign for these to be skinnable.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Bluemoon said:

This article is from 2008:

http://www.almarsguides.com/wow/farming/60below/winterspring.cfm

Kinda vague, but I'm pretty sure he's implying they aren't skinnable.

Yeah, they always could have changed them to not be skinnable in TBC or a later patch.  Sounds like they definitely weren't skinnable at the time of that article being written though.

Edited by Kelila