Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hanneth

Hunter vs. Mage in long term.

Posted (edited)

Hello guys!

I'm newcomer on this project and the PTE idea really interests me. Seems like a dream for all those people that started playing WoW when retail was already in mid-wotlk / cata etc. and we never got a chance to experience the real adventure from vanilla -> legion as retail players did. 

That's why I became fan of this project and I really wish everything will work and nothing will screw up (in the recent past private servers are being more and more targeted by hackers, maybe Blizz, or who know by whom) because Crestfall project is unique and has great perspective.

So, I'm planning to play here when the server releases but I cannot really decide between these two:

HUNTER vs. MAGE.

It's not just talking about them like about flavour of the month since I plan to main that one character throughout all expansions from Vanilla -> wherever we gets. 

Ofc I expect replies such as "play what you like..." "play what entertains you..." "everything is good, it depends on your skill....", but more than that I'm looking for some of your personal opinions, preferences, what would YOU choose. As I said we are talking about long term playing hunter/mage through more expansions, so try think about it like that. 

Cheers,

Hanneth.

Edited by Hanneth

Since we're starting in Vanilla I say roll a hunter. They excel at killing druids 8 levels above them.

I feel sorry for plaguing your thread with this, but I could not resist.

1 hour ago, Clavus said:

Since we're starting in Vanilla I say roll a hunter. They excel at killing druids 8 levels above them.

I feel sorry for plaguing your thread with this, but I could not resist.

Ye, there is a huge power spike at level 17.

I find that the hunter class offers a more rich playstyle at 60 but that's just me, I leveled a mage before and got bored pretty quick. Hunters have the potential to kite world bosses, solo instance bosses, and possibly even clear an instance by themselves. That in itself presents new challenges and optional content to keep you busy with and not all classes can pull it off. It also comes down to preference of playstyle, hunters have a deadzone hence their playstyle revolves around keeping opponents out of said deadzone. You will find that hunter players in PvP tend to alternate between kiting and resetting the kite by getting closer and Wing Clipping/Trapping. Having to bait your opponents into your trap, micromanaging your pet, less room for error, all these intricacies only make it more fun.

I'd level a hunter first, then in your off time level a mage as your first alt.

I have always played a either a hunter or a priest as my main. Hunter is the most fun for me to play personally. I will say, playing a mage is a lot more convenient than playing a hunter, especially in vanilla.  The portals are huge time savers in vanilla. Your hearthstone is on an hour-long cooldown, and on PvP servers the boats aren't always safe to use. Being able to conjure food and water is nice as well. Mages can also farm much more efficiently at the end game than hunters can with all of their AOE spells. Hunters aren't going to do as much damage in raids in vanilla as mages, but both will usually have guaranteed raid spots anyway. Hunters are typically (not always) better at soloing appropriately leveled content than mages. Either way, hunters are not very enjoyable until after level 10, but mages are pretty fun right from the start. Until hunters get feign death, it's a lot easier to get out of hairy situation as a mage. It's also nice to not have to worry about the deadzone as a mage. Neither class really has to worry about repair bills.

The only other thing is the non-combat management of your pets. You have to feed them constantly to keep them happy, and you have to constantly tame new pets to learn higher level abilities. You do not learn the majority of pet skills from the hunter trainer in vanilla, and that can be a time sink sometimes.

Throughout the years, I have always mained hunter. And I never regret it. Most fun class to play(for me), able to solo majority of encounters, decently strong both in pvp and pve through all expansions, pets, all loot is yours...do I really need to continue? To sum it up @Hunter4Life!!!

Im going to go the other way and say go mage. I have mained a mage at some point in every expansion, and there really wont ever be a point where you are bad. You might be average for a tier here or there but for the most part at least one spec will be in the top dps range. The only bad thing about being a mage is that for a while you are going to be a 1/2 button spec. 

IMO mage is the best DPS class in the game. Every time I try something else I just can't live without having my teleports and free water. 

Posted (edited)

Mage has free pastry.

Free.

Pastry.

Edited by ilovecats

6 hours ago, Hanneth said:

HUNTER vs. MAGE.

Why not both?

Duzyizly, having both hunter and mage would mean (for me) that neither of them would be well-geared or one would be geared and another one would be "garbage" because of lacking time to fully invest it to both of them in my case.

Appreciate all your topics. But from what I remember at least from WotLK hunters did pretty well in PvE DPS competition. As I said, let's talka bout these two classes in long term, not comparing them only in vanilla but also compare them in TBC, WotLK, possibly Cata (maybe it's too soon to think about Cata on crestfull but hey, it's PTE).

And I don't really care about levelling procces, which one is more boring / more fun / more or less challenging etc. since it's only temporary phase of whole game experience. At least saying that hunter is boring pre-10 when he gets his pet is meaningless for me. Lvl 10 is something you can get like under 2 hours of gameplay so it's not a big deal.

As much as I love blowing shit up with the Mage, I am leaning strongly towards the hunter.  I enjoy the three hunter specs more than the mage specs.  I think having a pet that will just rip things up in BM is fun.  I enjoy the fantasy of being a sneak s.o.b  with marksmanship.  Survival is a really fun spec too, having those traps to help you out with different situations.

Yeah, hunter playstyle is something that interests me, pet management, RP feeling of being a scout who can track others, having bows'n'guns..

On the other hand being a smart wizard that can just blow everyone up in the air... I am always impressed when seeing that big nasty mage crits. Not saying that hunter's crits aren't big but mage's ones are bigger.

I'd go Hunter out of the two. Less competition for gear along with better farming, you can always build up funds for a mage later.