Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DapperGent

Just a Random Thought

So as I wait patiently for this server to launch I'm playing on other servers (like I assume a lot of you are doing as well), Both to get practice and to cure my WoW itch. As I play I get Ganked a lot, which is normal. But I have noticed that unlike the old days of retail instead of jumping on a higher level character and counter Gank or another Toon to level I just stop playing and do something else. Instead of the PvP escalating and more people getting involved it just stops there. I'm seeing other people do this as well and I was thinking If I cant be bothered with it why would a new player? I have options but a new player who joined to see old content is just going to stop playing and move on to something else. Does this hurt the server? I have more thoughts on the subject but I don't want to wall of text you all more then I have, also these just might be the ramblings of a madman. I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

Sure getting ganked sucks, but projects now are catering more the player base that wants a pve experience with the option of pvp when they want. I know this project will have a pve server and I think a couple others do as well. Granted not every project does and that is there choice. If i recall this one intends to go a long way so for those looking for it probably the best project being worked on. Some people just aren't as interested in world pvp or just dont want to waste time dealing with it. That unfortunately is how retail made things as expansions went on. It became less beneficial to pvpers and players got bored or tired of it. It really depends on the players and new or old doesn't matter as much persay. Some people want a smooth leveling experience since vanilla takes so long. I don't think it does since they have the option of open pvp and pve here. 

Edited by jernicho

When I still played on that-other-realm couple of months ago I saw people forming groups to counter ganking. Especially in Hillsbrad and STV. The realm was fresh and there were not many high level people around yet so I don't know it that affects on counter-ganking behaviour somehow. Also the people themselves were still "fresh" as there were probably many new players running around and they still had the energy to fight back and form groups. So maybe most of the player base have satisfied their wow-itch to some extent by now and become sort of "lazy".

Ofc these are just a couple of scenarios which I witnessed during leveling and they wont tell how the things are at the moment.

You raise an interesting point that never has crossed my mind but in which I agree with.

When I think back to retail, there weren't many other games that I played versus now where I have a full Steam library of options to pick from. Meaning, as you said, I'm more likely to stop playing WoW and go to something else.

I have to think that some players, new or otherwise, would get turned off from a server with serious ganking issues. At launch I think this is a small issue, but it only grows as time goes on because you'll eventually end up with some bored level 60s.

In my experience I'd say that in retail people logged into WoW not just to play but to socialize. Players would be in WoW to chat and do minor things (sometimes for hours), not just to raid and PvP. So if you got ganked, there were probably a few level 60 raiders/PvPers sitting around bored willing to come to your aid. Compared to my experience on private servers where people are more likely to log in for a specific reason and then leave to do something else.

The obvious solution is for people that don't enjoy being ganked or corpse camped to just play on a PvE server, which is a viable option on CF but may not be on other servers because of PvP-only, population sizes and/or where your friend are playing.

IMO WoW was not designed to have strong, healthy world PvP. If it ever happened it was because of the players and community.

I not so concerned with this effecting the health of a new server more so when the the server gets past that "fresh" server hype and we all settle in for the long run. I agree this does not effect a PvE server and I'm not arguing that Ganking is bad just was wondering if Ganking (excessive Ganking mostly) can attribute to a server losing population. Without a subscription binding people to the game will it bleed out? Like I said ramblings of a madman =P