Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dennis

My first year on Crestfall!

43 posts in this topic

Hmm, that's kinda depressing.

For some reason I assumed that people didn't start making private WoW servers until TBC was came out. Silly me. :P

Thanks for this amazing bit of history Elicas, very entertaining read!

I kind of have to agree with the op. I know we're owed nothing and i would never demand that they have to release or something but i'm kind of having a déjàvu right now. In january 2015 i found out about corecraft (i havn't been interested in private servers before) when it was exactly at the same point as crestfall is now. They missed the release date they announced (ok i know crestfall didn't announce anything) and most people thought "ok it's just a matter of a few more month". I wasn't really disappointed back then (nor am i now) and so i just kept waiting. They gave some updates from time to time and you could check the bugtracker and see that work gets done and all was looking pretty solid. They even released beta and it looked really good. But as it took longer and longer i got more and more disappointed and when shiro finally disappeared i gave up.

I don't want to say crestfall is the next corecraft or shit like that. hopefully it will never become the next corecraft. I'm still patient and eager for the release but the overall excitement died down a bit. When i joined it was said, that the team is behind their schedule a few weeks, which became months. So like (at least i think) most of the people here expected that launch would be possible somewhere around March to May (based on how much later closed beta was announced). It's April now and there is still no sign of a soon release, nor anything else appart from two-weekly updates (which are cool but don't make me feel like the project is approaching a major goal soon atm to be honest). Again i'm still patient and i've got plenty of stuff to do appart from playing crestfall but i'm getting the same kind of feeling more and more with every two weeks that passes.

No offense against anyone, i'm still thankful for all the hours and hours of work the team and the beta testers are putting into this. I just wanted to share my current feelings. Thanks!

I'm here because Crestfallen is an interesting project and if/when it will launch I will play, but I certainly don't have any expectations; I continue to play on Kronos where I have been for 6 months and even if CF never gets released i have lost nothing.

I am baffled by all these requests for openness and communications, when at the same time people complain about hype in the past. 

I personally find it quite hard to play on a server you know you won't stay on. Hence i can understand the anticipation felt for release since... I'm missing Vanilla in my life :'(

It's fine though, it'll take me at least another month or two to find a class to play. Hopefully I'll actually be burned enough from overthinking to not play at all by then as it's probably the best thing for my social life haha...

Posted (edited)

If your expectations are not being met, then, instead of projecting that negativity onto the developers of this project, as if they've personally failed you in some manner, I implore you to investigate the legitimacy of what you're expecting from these people and why. It seems a lot of you are channeling some personal frustrations and feelings of doubt caused by past experiences onto this project, which is causing you to perceive similarities that aren't necessarily valid. If you're going to doubt based on these thoughts, then doubt from the beginning until proven otherwise. No one has failed you. There's an inspirational quote from very deep, enriching cinematic piece that bears some relevance here and I'd like to share it with you all:

Edited by Bluemoon

I'm pretty sure everyone on this server is in one way or form anticipating a release. Otherwise I don't see the point of lurking/posting in the forum.

Saying freelance developers don't owe a thing is true but also rather... lame? I mean, if a AAA game was under development and cancelled suddenly you should not feel entitled to be disappointed or whine (since you haven't paid for it) although most probably you would, no?

Once the word is out and a community is created there ARE expectation and thus a form of accountability whether you are paid or not; if you can't handle that then develop your game in your garage until it's ready.

You don't get the point, the main problem here is the lack of communication here. Show us something for God's Sake!

I don't want to read "we completely scripted Ragnaros in a perfect way never seen before!". Ok, that's cool, but can you show it in action? A quick video that shows how Ragnaros casts spell correctly? Can you show your overall progress? No, too dangerous! People will copy us! (What? They could copy retail in any case)

In fact, we got nothing. Nothing at all. 

They said several times that they fixed the loot table, show us how the first mobs drop things correctly and not an insane amount of bags like every other server.

Are they working on fishing? Ok right, show us how fishes are now different from zone to zone and how the day/night cycle can change what kind of fish you'll get.

I don't see the point to hide everything, you won't show your code, nobody will steal it, so why don't simply SHOW how the things are going in a brief video + a wall of text every two weeks?
Prove us something!

Remember, Acta non verba.

21 minutes ago, Dennis said:

You don't get the point, the main problem here is the lack of communication here. Show us something for God's Sake!

I don't want to read "we completely scripted Ragnaros in a perfect way never seen before!". Ok, that's cool, but can you show it in action? A quick video that shows how Ragnaros casts spell correctly? Can you show your overall progress? No, too dangerous! People will copy us! (What? They could copy retail in any case)

They said several times that they fixed the loot table, show us how the first mobs drop things correctly and not an insane amount of bags like every other server.

Are they working on fishing? Ok right, show us how fishes are now different from zone to zone and how the day/night cycle can change what kind of fish you'll get.

I don't see the point to hide everything, you won't show your code, nobody will steal it, so why don't simply SHOW how the things are going in a brief video + a wall of text every two weeks?
Prove us something!

They have also said that they don't want to build unnecessary hype before they are closer to release. And we are not there yet. I'm sure we will start getting videos and eye candy if we some day come closer to the release.

14 hours ago, Noriam said:

I'm pretty sure everyone on this server is in one way or form anticipating a release. Otherwise I don't see the point of lurking/posting in the forum.

Saying freelance developers don't owe a thing is true but also rather... lame? I mean, if a AAA game was under development and cancelled suddenly you should not feel entitled to be disappointed or whine (since you haven't paid for it) although most probably you would, no?

Once the word is out and a community is created there ARE expectation and thus a form of accountability whether you are paid or not; if you can't handle that then develop your game in your garage until it's ready.

"An AAA game (usually pronounced "triple A game") is an informal classification used for video gameswith the highest development budgets and levels of promotion. AAA gamedevelopment is associated with high economic risk, with high levels of sales required to obtain profitability."

Give me a break. The crestfall team is scripting a server in their free time with no anticipation of fiscal return. They have lives, jobs, and families. 

3 hours ago, Dennis said:

Prove us something!

Remember, 

The AAA game was an analogy. Of course I am aware this is all a self-funded fan-project. Just stating that when you interact with a community there are some things to expect/the community expects.

In any case looks like the communication will be more frequent from now on anyways.

And I couldn't be more calm but thanks for caring :)

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Xaverius said:

That's the year I started playing. Clearly, my mere presence saved the entire scene.

@Lilaina
And for you, grasshopper:
http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-emulator-servers/235886-history-of-wow-emulation.html

Who you calling grasshopper, Wrath baby? >:(>:(>:(

I'll have you know that I started playing in 2007 which makes me more hardcore than you!

subscriptionhistory.png

Anyway, yeah, I read that. Elicas posted the same thing on the first page. :P

Edited by Lilaina

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

Wrath baby

Who you calling wrath baby, offi slave? I started playing on Mystiq TBC (Albatros), the best slavland server ever, to which Twinstar was a direct competition :P.

>reading Elicas' posts
Puh-lease :P.

Edited by Xaverius

11 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Who you calling wrath baby, offi slave? I started playing on Mystiq TBC (Albatros), the best slavland server ever, to which Twinstar was a direct competition :P.

>reading Elicas' posts
Puh-lease :P.

What's an offi slave?

Unlike "grasshopper", urban dictionary didn't have an explanation for that and I need to know how I was insulted so I can come up with something even better.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Lilaina said:

What's an offi slave?

Unlike "grasshopper", urban dictionary didn't have an explanation for that and I need to know how I was insulted so I can come up with something even better.

It's a person who pays to Blizzard to play wow (official servers) as opposed to not paying anyone to play wow :P.

Edited by Xaverius

9 hours ago, Xaverius said:

It's a person who pays to Blizzard to play wow (official servers) as opposed to not paying anyone to play wow :P.

One has to be a slave to Blizzard first, so that you have the experience to criticize all the free private servers for not being blizzlike. :P

13 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

One has to be a slave to Blizzard first, so that you have the experience to criticize all the free private servers for not being blizzlike. :P

True. Thankfully, I don't do that, I just assume that as a given and just occupy myself with pointing out how shit they are exactly :P.