Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 4/17/2017

56 posts in this topic

I like the way they treat those multiple strike proccs.

I understand that it may concerns a few Horde Players but honestly, a mechanic which rewards Players for just stacking extra strike affects seems to be harmful for the game, at least for me.

I remember there was that post from a warrior ,requesting to nerf Ironfoe because extra strike procs on procs on procs make it so op, that a warrior wouldn't Chance Ironfoe for like the entire game up until maybe naxx. With Darkrasps Approach on limiting those possible proccs by making sure they don't procc of themselves or in a row, that also fixes that Ironfoe Issue. Ironfoe is still going to be strong but not THAT dominant weapon for the entire Expansion.

1 hour ago, aoses said:

Many people ,including me,  were planning on playing shm ench just because of the rng based wf vanilla procs.  You realise that you are taking out the only thing that made playing an ench New and fresh on vanilla? 

It won't be fun anymore.

It won't be different from other xpac.

It will underperform in PvP.

Guess I won't be playing ench anymore, shame. 

Awesome, 1 more resto shammy and 1 less useless ench on server!!!!111

45 minutes ago, Eldarion said:

I like the way they treat those multiple strike proccs.

I understand that it may concerns a few Horde Players but honestly, a mechanic which rewards Players for just stacking extra strike affects seems to be harmful for the game, at least for me.

I remember there was that post from a warrior ,requesting to nerf Ironfoe because extra strike procs on procs on procs make it so op, that a warrior wouldn't Chance Ironfoe for like the entire game up until maybe naxx. With Darkrasps Approach on limiting those possible proccs by making sure they don't procc of themselves or in a row, that also fixes that Ironfoe Issue. Ironfoe is still going to be strong but not THAT dominant weapon for the entire Expansion.

Well, part of the issue with Ironfoe, is that it's proc chance was more than double what it was supposed to be. It's proper rate was like 1.7% or something, and on Elysium it was 7% (I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like that).

Like I said in my other post, the way Darkrasp has done it, Stacking extra strike effects will no long be slightly over powered, but at the same time it won't be slightly underpowered, it'll just be even.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

People do know that the ability for Windfury to proc itself was patched out of retail in 1.4, right?  ;) This is exactly what I was talking about when I said there had been a lot of changes to how extra strikes are processed and there is lots of contradicting evidence as to how it worked.

In this case, I'm taking what I believe to be a balanced, sensible and logical solution and implementing it.

26 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

People do know that the ability for Windfury to proc itself was patched out of retail in 1.4, right?  ;)

Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Fixed a bug that caused an additional attack beyond what was intended. In addition, fixed a bug that caused the next normal melee attack to happen sooner than intended.

Is this the patch you're referring to?

I intended to correct my innitial comment. Then I read the patch and figured that it's on about an extra attack, not stacking procs.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.4.0
Shaman

• Earth Shock - The visual for ranks two through seven has been changed to be consistent with rank one.
  • Windfury - Fixed a bug that caused an additional attack beyond what was intended. In addition, fixed a bug that caused the next normal melee attack to happen sooner than intended.
  • Level 58+ Shaman should talk to Sagorne Creststrider in Orgrimmar; there is a special quest for them involving a dreaded death knight who dwells in the depths of the Scholomance.
  • Frost Shock - Now subject to diminishing returns in PvP. This is considered a slowing effect.
  • Grounding Totem - Should no longer redirect area effect spells or be destroyed by area effects spells.
Edited by Lawz

1 hour ago, Pvt_8Ball said:

You do realise Enhancement shamans suck at pvp anyway, don't you? Plus if you're only using Windfury, it'll work exact how it did on retail. Getting double windfury procs was a bug that was fixed fairly early on during Vanilla.

They do? I always thought they were quite nasty against mages (shamans are good against mages in general, especially elemental shamans i suppose), and squishies.

Edited by valaquenta

@Darkrasp Question: Imagine I have Ironfoe + Windfury, and windfury procs, since windfury gives 2 addition strikes, would both those addition strikes have a chance to proc Ironfoe, or would it just behave as one chance?

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

4 hours ago, Pvt_8Ball said:

@Darkrasp Question: Imagine I have Ironfoe + Windfury, and windfury procs, since windfury gives 2 addition strikes, would both those addition strikes have a chance to proc Ironfoe, or would it just behave as one chance?

I would believe that each strike would act independently and each strike would have a chance, however, you would only be able to trigger Ironfoe once?  

22 minutes ago, Kirb said:

I would believe that each strike would act independently and each strike would have a chance, however, you would only be able to trigger Ironfoe once?  

This is correct.

7 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

People do know that the ability for Windfury to proc itself was patched out of retail in 1.4, right?  ;) This is exactly what I was talking about when I said there had been a lot of changes to how extra strikes are processed and there is lots of contradicting evidence as to how it worked.

In this case, I'm taking what I believe to be a balanced, sensible and logical solution and implementing it.

Ironfoe was shadow-nerfed also around 1.5

I wanna chime in here and mention that this isn't a Horde nerf, on the contrary. Most servers that you played on didn't even have cross-proccs (ie. a hoj procc triggering windfury) working at all.

This fix is a net improvement to Horde dps overall, by merit of it not working on pretty much most servers.

The big factor here is the windfury totem itself, as it has by far the highest procc chance out of any extra-swing procc abilities, ergo it chains easily off of other effects. Ie. the 2% hoj procc has a 1/5 chance of ending in a windfury, which practically is a 0-100 on the rage meter for a warrior. Sword spec is the same story. It's a good compromise overall.

Edited by Cephei

13 hours ago, Kirb said:

13 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

This is correct.

Yeah, I thought as much, thanks for clarifying.

It's great to see so much work going into the small details. Great work team!

kv6r1.gif

Edited by Planks

3 hours ago, cell007 said:

Open beta soon(ish)? /sawb

Ya'now how we respond to this question in these 'ere parts, riiight?

Also we need to clear up something, guys. Something very important!

Enha (from Enhancement): A man, woman, or a cow wielding heavy weapons and smashing people's faces with them, in accordance with the one true shaman spec.
Encha (from Enchanting): A person who spends their time plummeting into poverty by buying ridiculously expensive items and turning them into dust, sparkly rocks and goopy magic residue which he or she then tries to peddle for extra price or to turn into bling sold at the corner that nobody wants to buy.

I hope that'll help you realize that there's in fact a significant difference between these two.

Edited by Xaverius
I don't like the formatting of this post.

Spent a few hours on it today, found the combo point bug, fixed that and most of the Extra Strikes stuff locally.  I have to do some more work and more thorough testing still before I submit it for code review.  I just got bored after four or five hours and spent the rest of the day painting and watching TV.

The combo points thing was just a copy/paste error Asura made while he was doing some work on channeled spells.  The spell system was pushing every spell into the queue (spell delay) regardless of whether or not it should, so that was a simple one-line fix.  I did have to do some work on the queue check because there needed to be a skip queue case for triggered spells, which previously also got dumped into the queue all the time.  I've got extra strikes properly activating on the current swing, chain proccing, proc capping per swing, and not allowing double procs (read:  all the behavior I wanted in my initial post), but there are still some issues with the combat log, and Windfury's AP buff isn't always applying at the correct time, which is very strange because the spell's effects should technically all apply simultaneously.  Why it applies the extra strikes perfectly but the AP buff sporadically, I'm not certain yet.  I have a feeling it has to do with targeting, but we'll see.  More debugging to do tomorrow.

I was strongly considering enh shaman if I only have time to play super casually when CF releases. Delighted to see some real attention being put into WF mechanics; I'm sick of it being a buggy dumpster fire on every server I try to test on. 

2 hours ago, Dawnstorm said:

I was strongly considering enh shaman if I only have time to play super casually when CF releases. Delighted to see some real attention being put into WF mechanics; I'm sick of it being a buggy dumpster fire on every server I try to test on. 

Enha is a sweet spot.

BTW about channeling spells, the bug on mangos is the cast animation fades very shortly after casting a channeling spell.

:(

windfury should actually be more consistant and much smoother than other servers have it.

through research, it seems in 1.11 and even 1.12 blizzard did some more changes to the spell than intended. another thing is how the bonus AP is applied once a WF occurs.

the (snapshotting) yellows during a WF effect is technically a blizzard code flaw and they only intended the actual extra attack get the bonus AP, not the entire char sheet. but again, blizzard ignored it for years even into wotlk about it so.. unintentional mechanic so to say that is sort of a buff.

interesting bits though about the spell and its function. it should feel better on CF than other servers personally. 

consistancy > RNG as a dpser.  

11 hours ago, Dawnstorm said:

Amen to this. I play ENhancement on retail vanilla up to cata mostly pvp focus. I love it and i am glad they fix it because no other server have (nost/kronos)