Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scrooge

What's the strangest thing that's happened to you in WoW?

What kind of weird/bizarre things or bugs or players have you guys encountered during your WoW careers? The first one that comes to my mind is from WotLK, when I was doing Deadmines with guildies. We had just killed Captain Greenskin and were heading up when we ran into another Captain Greenskin. The realms did go down soon after. Don't know if it was related but later the same day we ran DM again and there was just one captain. 

When Kronos 2 released, I managed to join a cool guild and we leveled in large groups of dungeon farming to level 60 (quest areas were overpopulated).

While farming LBRS for a week in 10 man raids until we had some UBRS keys I was hearing a neighbour also play something during the farm. Due to voice chat, we found out to be in the same game, guild and raid! -moments when you realize the world is indeed small :-)

This was actually on retail, I think before BC on a PvE server. A friend and I were alliance waiting to meet a group at RFK. A couple horde showed up and we just hung out. After a few minutes, one of them challenged me to a duel, which I accepted. I can't remember if I won or lost the duel, but after it was over my pet kept attacking him until he died. The best part was it didn't flag me for PvP. My friend and I were on the floor cackling at how funny it was.

Hmmm, I can think of several cases.

I remember once using HS to teleport to SW. Several minutes later I was hit by an animation of a flying spear. Apparently a mob had used a ranged attack on me while I was in another zone and I was mounted and outran it and it followed me all the way to Stormwind. :D

Soon after hitting lvl 70 for the first time back during BC, a guildie gave me over 3000g. He just traded it and flew off. Suffice to say that I soon had enough money for epic flying skill. (turned out he was a classmate of my brother).

I also once joined a LFD group during WotLK where everyone was wearing roleplaying gear and speaking in weird old english. It was pretty fun and I tried to play along.

Craziest player I ever met was from England. He was friends with my now girlfriend of three years. He found out my ip address and then checked hers. He noticed that they were similar which makes sense since we were playing together. Pretty creepy and lets just say contact was cut.

I don't think this was a bug, I just thought it was very funny. I was on my shaman who was an inscriptionist at the time. I think this was back in Cata.  I had a bunch of the scrolls of recall and I was beyond the level required for them to work properly. So, I started wondering what would happen if I used one with unpredictable results beyond such and such level.  Well, I found out. hehe It teleported me up into the sky in the middle of Swamp of Sorrows. So, ya, I fell to my death.  I didn't mess with another one of those scrolls after that.

After clearing a boss that we been stuck for weeks in TOT. We decided to go out drinking in the Stormwind Inn and later some guildies marched for Goldshire. Then the rest I don't want to speak about. Some people are very imaginative when it come to ERP.

Posted (edited)

This is a good one! I remember when I was playing my first rogue, closing in on 60 lvling in WPL around the Gahrron's Withering and I get jumped by a stacked dwarf rogue. I was playing undead myself. Out of nowhere another UD rogue, stacked af comes to my aid. Then comes ANOTHER dwarf rogue jumping him. So there we are, 4 rogues battling it out. I vanish as soon as I get out of the stun lock. So does the dwarf that got jumped by the other undead, and he vanishes too. And the 2nd dwarf too - like we all vanished within 1,5 seconds of eachother. And just like that it went complete silent. All of this happend within a 5 second time frame or something like that. It was just so random and so badass. I never felt more like a rogue than i did then. I never caught the name of the UD rogue that saved me(back then I wasn't aware of the combat log), he obviously tracked them to me. Thank you if you're reading this! :ph34r:

Of course this wasn't a bug or anything, but still strange in a way. I just read the title ^_^

Edited by bodie

I have a couple stories.

On retail back in Wrath, I was playing on my Mage and did a battleground - Strand of the Ancients I think. I used Ice Block just as the game ended when everyone gets frozen, I teleported out and I was still in it. This is usually normal but after the duration ended, it was still there. I still couldn't remove it, even after re-logging. I was immune to damage, but could move around and cast things as normal. The duration never ended on it until the server reset a few hours later. Suffice it to say, I had a lot of fun on my Mage that day.

There was a time I was stalked for a while aswell, back in Cataclysm. I had joined a new guild and our guild leader and raid leader were a couple that lived an hour from my house. I never told them where I lived, but they drove past my house a few times and wanted to have an 'open relationship'. They were furries. I wonder what they're up to these days.

On Nost, I ran an AV and got sheeped mid-charge and got teleported up to the top of the 'roof' of the battleground. When I fell back down, I fell through the floor. I did a /shrug emote to the Mage as I fell back down, who I presume was laughing his ass off.

I can remember one occasion, back in Vanilla, when something weird happened. I was questing in STV with a friend and we decided to duel a bit while we were in Booty Bay. I think it was the second or third duel, I got her to below 20% HP, Execute critted and...she died.

That's the only time anything out of the ordinary happened to me while playing, and I was pretty damn confused at first. But well, because of this I can now say that my warrior was so badass, his Execute broke the dueling mechanics. ;) 

@RawneThat actually happens quite often, especially on private servers. It's hilarious every time.:P

Posted (edited)

My first time ever doing Zul'Farrak, We killed Gahz'rilla and his body slumped to the ground. Then it slowly rose up to what I assume was the max height of the instance, and just hung in the sky. Luckily our GM ticket was answered a few minutes later and we got our loot. This was on Rebirth server.

I've never been able to do it on any private servers I've tested, but in retail there was an exploit where you could climb any hills that were less than 90% vertical or so. As long a it was made from triangle polygons and wasn't  totally vertical you could climb it. You had to jump side to side across the face of the hill, and only move forward in the air. If you pressed W before your jump or held it after you landed, you would slide back down. So you just hopped left to right across the wall, then right to left, repeat till you hit the top. I spent so much time exploring after I figured this out. I got to that area above Goldshire where there are NPCs fighting a drake. I scaled the giant dam on the north of Loch Modan. I walked underneath Stormwind. I went to Hyjal (and a GM somehow found me and teleported me out before I was done looking around). I walked vast plains of perfectly flat empty dirt that exist in between zones, hidden among the highest mountain peaks. I went to the dancing troll village. I climbed over the hills and into Moonglade. The world was my oyster...

One time I got disconnected from the server while on a flight path over Azshara. When I logged back in I was still mounted on the wyvern, but no longer on the flight path. I was just flying about 5 feet above the ground and could control my movement like regular walking. I was not able to use any skills or items, and could not be attacked by mobs. Logged out again after messing around for 15 minutes and I was just my regular self in Azshara.

A shaman in ghost wolf form, mounted on his warg. It was a wolf with a slightly smaller wolf standing on its back.

The rest of these aren't bugs, but are strange things I've seen. A group suicide in Stormwind - about 10 naked people all jumped off a bridge into the jaws of the sewer gator. Walking into the Goldshire Inn second floor to train your class skills, and finding people doing /emote heavy ERP on the bed. An absolutely gigantic human paladin (must have had several types of enlarge buffs) running through the main entrance to Orgrimmar, safe in his bubble. undead mage on the roof of a building in Ironforge, waving at people down below.

edit: here's a video of the wall climbing thing

I discovered it on my own and taught my brother how to do it. That is probably my proudest WoW accomplishment.

Edited by WITCHCRAFT

I remember those days. I also remember the day I discovered wall walking was removed during the 1.12 PTR. I spent I think two hours trying to get it to work (I felt so defeated and like I lost a good friend) and as I was about to just give up I accidentally jumped and discovered wall jumping. I wish imageshack hadn't purged my videos or I would love to post them. My original forum posts are still there from July 2006. The best tutorial I found was

P.S. mangos servers have all but removed this mechanic to be used in any meaningful way. (wink* wink* blizzlike means adding it back in/please don't/please do/I wish time machines were a thing)

To contribute to the thread, my first time climbing the dragonmaw hold mountain in the wetlands was probably the weirdest thing I have seen. At the top there was a paladin corpse with an exploding sheep, that was hostile but evading, eating the corpse's head. My second wierdest experience is traveling to GM Island and finding a group of 4 level 60 horde butt naked spamming the /bow and /pray emotes to a naked dwarf female level 1. Suffice to say it creeped me out so much I killed the horde undead warlock to make it not as dark.