Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Morrasul

The "What Class should I pick"-Guide

30 posts in this topic

The "What Class should i pick"-Guide

I think this is one of the most frequent asked questions on any vanilla wow forum. This guide is supposed to give you an idea of what you have to expect when you decide to pick a certain class and to help you chose a class that fits your playstyle. This guide is less about indepth viability of classes/speccs (thats what the class forums are for :D).

Table of Content:

#1. What kind of player am I ?

#2. Whats my role ?

#3. Speccs and Roles

#4. Ending words.

#1. What kind of player am I ?

Before even thinking about classes you should think about what type of player you are. What are the parts of the game you enjoy the most.

Do I like:

- Solo Content (Leveling , Farming)

- Group Content (LvL 60 Dungeons)

- Casual Raiding (PUG's)

- Organized Raiding (Raiding Guild)

- Hardcore Raiding (Rankings, Serverfirst Kills)

- World-PvP 

- Organized-PvP (Battlegrounds)

Its not like these things exclude each other, but certain classes/speccs excell at certain content. Since every person likes different contents its worth to think about this when chosing your class.

In addition you should consider how much time you can/want to invest in playing the game. Some classes/roles require a bigger time investment than others. For example planning on playing a Def-Warrior as a MainTank for your guild requires you to have the time to participate on most if not all raid evenings. If you chose a DPS-Class its easier to rotate and be more flexible in terms of real-life commitments.

#2. Whats my role ?

So after you have figured out what kind of player you are you should think about the role you want to play. In general we have 3 different roles in most MMORPG's. These are:

- Tanks

- Healers

- DPS / Damage Dealers

Each of these roles comes with different advantages and disadvantages regarding the contents mentioned in #1. So lets see how these roles fit into each type of content.

- Solo Content (Leveling , Farming)

Tanks: Usually tanks have a slower kill speed than DamageDealers and have less sustain than a Healer which makes them arguably the least desireable role for solo content and farming.

Healers: Healers have a slower kill speed than DamageDealers but they have very good sustain which makes it easier to level safe.

DamageDealers: DamageDealers have the highest kill speed which results in faster leveling and farming. Often they can counter the lack of sustain compared to Healers and Tanks by simply killing mobs quick enough to not rely on sustain.

- Group Content (LvL 60 Dungeons)

Tanks: Tanks are allways in demand for LvL 60 Dungeons. Picking a Tank allows you to get groups quicker than Healers and DamageDealers as tanks are usually the least picked role . Also there is usually noone in the group you have to share loot with. Being a good Tank will get you on people's friedlist as people will want to run with you again.

Healers: Healers also have an easier time to find groups than DamageDealers. Usually you dont have to share loot with other people. Being a good healer will get you on people's friendlist as people will want to run with you again.

DamageDealers: Usually 90% of a servers population is filled with DamageDealers. So picking a DD will lead to longer waiting times for dungeons. Also you can easily be exchanged when something goes wrong. Yet if you are a great DamageDealer people will want to run with you again as it makes dungeons runs smoother and faster. Usually you have to share loot with other people in your group.

- Casual Raiding (PUG's)

Tanks: There are less tanks required for raiding than for dungeons. So finding a group for a Raid PUG is a little harder than finding a group for a dunegon. Usually you are required to have good Gear as your performance cant be compensated by others.

Healers: There are less healers required for raiding than for dunegons. So finding a group for a Raid PUG is a little harder than finding a group for a dungeon. Usually you are required to have good Gear as your performance cant be compensated by others.

DamageDealers: DamageDealers have an easier time to find a Raid PUG than finding a dungeons group. Also they aren't so gear dependant as their performance can be compensated by others.

- Organized Raiding (Raiding Guild)

Tanks: Guild only need a handful of tanks so finish most raiding content. So getting a spot within a raid guild as a tank can be frustrating. Yet if you managed to get a spot you are considered one of the more important players of the raid. This also comes with more responsibility as sometimes a kill or wipe depends just on you. Being a tank in raid guild also requires you to participate on most raid evenings.

Healers: Guilds need more healers than tanks but also their spaces are limited. Especially while doing easier content or farming raids healers are benched for DamageDealers as less Healers are required to score kills.

DamageDealers: DamageDealers have an easier time to find a raiding guild as there are lots of slots to fill in a 40man roster. If you have established within a raid you are unlikely to ever be droped again. You also have an easier time to bench yourself if Real-Life-Commitments require you to be offline.

- Hardcore Raiding (Rankings, Serverfirst Kills)

Being a member of a hardcore guild requires you to participate on close to all raidevenings regardless of your role. You need to perform above average and allways have to strive for the best. Getting a spot in a hardcore guilde usually comes with a big time commitment. Yet you are rewared with quick boss kills, great gear and some kind of reputation (good and bad). Often its eaiser to get a slot as a DamageDealer but everybody can be replaced.

- World-PvP 

Tanks: Tanks are okay at solo World-PvP. They dont have great damage to nuke people but neither can they be nuked easily. They get worse the bigger the fight is.

Healers: Healers are usually weak at solo World-PvP. They have great sustain but most of the time lack the damage to kill someone. The get better the bigger the fight is as theit support skills shine.

DamageDealers: DamageDealers are best for solo World-PvP. They have the damage to kill someone. Range DamageDealers get better the battle gets while meele get worse.

- Organized-PvP (Battlegrounds)

Tanks: Tanks are usually useless in Organized-PvP except for some very small niche moments (WSG Flag Carrier)

Healers: Healers are very important for Organized-PvP. Having a great healer/dispeller can sometimes be the deciding factor if you win or lose.

DamageDealers: DamageDealers are required for Organized PvP. Their skill of focus target and CC is what makes PvP fun and challenging.

#3. Speccs and Roles

So now I will seperate each class/specc into its role and give you an indicator on how good they perform in each content. I will seperate them in

very strong / strong / medium / weak

Balance Druid: DamageDealer

- Solo Content (Leveling , Farming) medium

- Group Content (LvL 60 Dungeons) medium

- Casual Raiding (PUG's) medium

- Organized Raiding (Raiding Guild) medium

- Hardcore Raiding (Rankings, Serverfirst Kills) weak

- World-PvP medium

- Organized-PvP (Battlegrounds) medium

Feral Druid Bear: Tank

- Group Content (LvL 60 Dungeons) very strong

- Casual Raiding (PUG's) strong

- Hardcore Raiding (Rankings, Serverfirst Kills) medium

- World-PvP medium

Feral Druid Cat: DamageDealer

- Solo Content (Leveling , Farming) strong

- World-PvP strong

Restoration Druid : Healer

- Group Content (LvL 60 Dungeons) strong

- Organized Raiding (Raiding Guild) strong

- World-PvP strong

- Organized-PvP (Battlegrounds) strong

Hunter: DamageDealer

- Solo Content (Leveling , Farming) very strong

- World-PvP very strong

Mage: DamageDealer

- Hardcore Raiding (Rankings, Serverfirst Kills) strong

- World-PvP strong

Heal Paladin: Healer

- Solo Content (Leveling , Farming) weak

- Hardcore Raiding (Rankings, Serverfirst Kills) very strong

- World-PvP medium

- Organized-PvP (Battlegrounds) very strong

Prot Paladin: Tank

- World-PvP medium

- Organized-PvP (Battlegrounds) weak

Retribution Paladin: DamageDealer

- World-PvP strong

Heal Priest: Healer

- World-PvP strong

Shadow Priest: DamageDealer

- World-PvP very strong

Rogue: DamageDealer

- World-PvP strong

Enhancement/Elemental Shaman: DamageDealer

- World-PvP strong

Restoration Shaman: Healer

- World-PvP medium

Warlock: DamageDealer

- World-PvP strong

Arms-Warrior: DamageDealer

- World-PvP medium

- Organized-PvP (Battlegrounds) very strong

Fury-Warrior: DamageDealer

- World-PvP medium

Def-Warrior: Tank

- Casual Raiding (PUG's) very strong

- Organized Raiding (Raiding Guild) very strong

- World-PvP weak

#4. Ending words.

Okay so that's it for the guide. I hope that it will help you to find a class that fits your preferences. Dont forget that the most important factor is fun. Play whatever you enjoy the most!

Good luck!

Edited by Morrasul

13 minutes ago, Morrasul said:

Hunter: DamageDealer

- World-PvP very strong

Cat owners are clearly superior.

I do like your list but I would disagree in two Points.

First the Moonkin. I have to admit, I never raided endgame as a moonkin myself. But ´from all I've heard ( and also General sense cause casters scale so high with spell crit) they can't be weak even at hardcore raiding. Maybe not the strongest but surely not weak.

And the Paladin.  You probably had a pure healing Paladin in mind but even those are strong on farming / leveling compared to others healers. They take less damage due to their armor, have a similar amount of healing power and they do okayish damage with some great burst potencial ( especially in the plaguelands), which comes at the cost of a lot of mana though. :)

Best Wishes!

Eldarion

50 minutes ago, Eldarion said:

I do like your list but I would disagree in two Points.

First the Moonkin. I have to admit, I never raided endgame as a moonkin myself. But ´from all I've heard ( and also General sense cause casters scale so high with spell crit) they can't be weak even at hardcore raiding. Maybe not the strongest but surely not weak.

And the Paladin.  You probably had a pure healing Paladin in mind but even those are strong on farming / leveling compared to others healers. They take less damage due to their armor, have a similar amount of healing power and they do okayish damage with some great burst potencial ( especially in the plaguelands), which comes at the cost of a lot of mana though. :)

Best Wishes!

Eldarion

First, thanks for you feedback. Id like to keep this list honest. I dont want to mislead anyone by just personal opinions. So feedback is very apreciated.

Some things need to be seen more in comparision to other classes of the same role.

Moonkin are by far the worst casters in the game from a PvE point of perspective. Thats what I wanted to express when I said "weak" with Hardcore progression. Guilds will unlikely ever pick you up, as  any caster is a better pick than you (maybe the second shadow priest would be worse). As this guide is supposed to give you a brief look at how valueable you are at certain content "weak" is the right choice IMO.

Same argument goes for paladin healers. Sure you can play him solo. But on average for me he's the weakest class/specc to do so. Outside of Undead mobs you lack any kind of dps spells. You have Holy Shock every 30sec but only if you grabed it. Otherwise you are damned to auto attacks while all other healers have a great repertoire of skills. Its true they have plate, but all others heals just throw themselves one heal and they are fine as well. Survivability is not an issue for healers while being solo, Damage is. Also Solo includes leveling. During leveling I think the gap to other healers is even bigger.

Edited by Morrasul

Or be a picky bitch like me and go Druid so you can do it all! lol

This is way better than my "almost troll" guide to all classes trought expansions. +1

2 hours ago, Morrasul said:

Prot Paladin: Tank

- World-PvP medium

- Organized-PvP (Battlegrounds) weak

You should feel an evil presence watching you...

20 minutes ago, duzyizly said:

This is way better than my "almost troll" guide to all classes trought expansions. +1

You should feel an evil presence watching you...

You mean Duki is gonna come for me ? ?

I don't intend to be rude. But for me a guide should only need these words.

5 hours ago, Morrasul said:

Play whatever you enjoy the most!

Good luck!

Hunters stronger in wpvp and organized pvp than mages? I'm just asking, but are you sure that's right?

I'll leave the moonkin Topic to Elicas. *lays out Cookies*

But for the Paladin I still have to disagree. Paladins have great Burst damage, as stated above and you shouldn't underistimate the armor. Paladins are known for allmost never dying for a reason, for Solo Leveling there are far stronger then any other Healer, apart from a Druid who doesn't even Need to use his Mana.

42 minutes ago, valaquenta said:

Hunters stronger in wpvp and organized pvp than mages? I'm just asking, but are you sure that's right?

A mages strength is his amount of control. In Organized Pvp this is heavily countered by disspells and coordination. Also them being really squishy outside of ice block makes them an easily focused target.

For world PvP Mages are definitely strong but I think a hunter simply surpasses them in terms of burst and kit. ( not talking Pom piro mages when speaking about burst )

1 hour ago, Sherekhan said:

I don't intend to be rude. But for me a guide should only need these words.

True. Picking whatever you like is the essence of enjoying the game for a long time.

Mage is the best class for large scale fights. I dont get the point of #3.. seems like you are trying to choose class for people instead of letting them choose.

40 minutes ago, Eldarion said:

I'll leave the moonkin Topic to Elicas. *lays out Cookies*

But for the Paladin I still have to disagree. Paladins have great Burst damage, as stated above and you shouldn't underistimate the armor. Paladins are known for allmost never dying for a reason, for Solo Leveling there are far stronger then any other Healer, apart from a Druid who doesn't even Need to use his Mana.

So what is their Great burst dmg ? 

Druid can still go cat and be fine.

Priests can Holy Fire, Dot and Wand to death. Giving them zero downtime.

Shamans are likely the second worst solo class but they have windfury which outperforms seals , have searing totem and 6sec cd shocks.

I don't see a paladin ever outperforming this. And as I said before survivability is not an issue for any of these specs. It's damage that makes the difference.

Well it goes like that :)

You judge Crusader, apply righteusnes, cast concecration, Use Holy Shock (with divine favor if needed), judge Righteusness, reapply it and if the mob isn't dead by then or allmost dead, continue with concecration and Rightneusness.

Ist Mana consuming thouth.

2 minutes ago, Frost said:

Mage is the best class for large scale fights. I dont get the point of #3.. seems like you are trying to choose class for people instead of letting them choose.

I agree they are strong, which is what I stated.

Its not my intention to pick a class for someone. It's my intention to try to give people insight on what they have to expect when choosing a specific class or spec. Trying to be objective.

5 minutes ago, Eldarion said:

Well it goes like that :)

You judge Crusader, apply righteusnes, cast concecration, Use Holy Shock (with divine favor if needed), judge Righteusness, reapply it and if the mob isn't dead by then or allmost dead, continue with concecration and Rightneusness.

Ist Mana consuming thouth.

Okay let's say we have a lvl 60 holy paladin. They usually wear addheal, spell crit and int. Maybe they have 100 spell power from an item where they didn't get an item with just addheal ( just to make the example a little bit more realistic).

you judge crusader giving up to140 additional holy dmg. As holy shock is an instant spell it receives roughly 43% scaling.

So a max rank holy shock would deal ~750 Damage on a crit. 

Consecration would tick for ~80 dmg.

A lvl 60 mob has roughly 4K Hp resulting in you not even doing 25% of the mobs hp with your 30sec cd burst spell while spending more than 1k mana on this combo.

Can't give you any calculations right now, ist been a Long time. I'm just speaking out of experience and if I went burst like that, the Mobs allways went down pretty quickly.

The problem with this guide is that it doesn't expand on the classes into TBC. I know I'm having a hard time picking a class because of the possible progression into TBC and class changes that take place then.

On 29.04.2017 at 2:47 PM, Morrasul said:

Fury-Warrior: DamageDealer

Leveling warrior - strong...
tbh worst 7 days of my life.

On 1.5.2017 at 10:59 PM, duzyizly said:

Leveling warrior - strong...
tbh worst 7 days of my life.

Yeah, thats true. This is misleading as leveling a warrior is really a pain in the ass compared to most other classes. I'll get this fiexd somehow. Thanks for the feedback !+1

EDIT: At first I thought id write a little text to it, but after I finished I prefered to keep it clean so I just changed it to "medium". You think that this fits better ?

Edited by Morrasul

On 1.5.2017 at 7:57 PM, Kirb said:

The problem with this guide is that it doesn't expand on the classes into TBC. I know I'm having a hard time picking a class because of the possible progression into TBC and class changes that take place then.

I kinda see that problem as CF is a progressive server it might be important to people on how the class/specc will turn out in BC. Yet its still in the stars when TBC will really hit CF (or if it does at all?! ... I mean thats still a lot of work to do)

What would you like to see ? Should I add another attribute to each specc which gives info on how the specc will be in TBC or would it be better to start a new Thread ?

If you know how to play warrior you can kill pretty efficiently after lvl 30. 1-20 is only 10ish hours of playtime, 20-30 will take some time but still shouldnt be hard.

the main problem is being ganked at <50% hp, solo warriors are rly easy to gank. :P 

25 minutes ago, Marbo said:

If you know how to play warrior you can kill pretty efficiently after lvl 30. 1-20 is only 10ish hours of playtime, 20-30 will take some time but still shouldnt be hard.

the main problem is being ganked at <50% hp, solo warriors are rly easy to gank. :P 

Get a pocket Holy Pally and enjoy lol

13 hours ago, Morrasul said:

What would you like to see ? Should I add another attribute to each specc which gives info on how the specc will be in TBC or would it be better to start a new Thread ?

TBH I don't know lol, sorry that's not constructive. Maybe just a small overview of how specs become viable or change. Druid is the best example that comes to mind with changes in TBC.

Like you said though, no guarantees that CF could make it that far, though I hope it will.