Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buddhaseyes

I need a new PC

30 posts in this topic

While we're at it, what's a less crappy option from the two below (I'm not in a position to buy another computer right now unless it's worse than what I already have):

i3-2120 4GB 250GB Quadro 600 1GB (tower)

i5-530M 4GB 200GB Intel HD onboard (laptop)

I realize both are crap but I did manage to run the new LoL client on minimal settings on the tower. On normal settings or even on minimal settings with Discord voice use, the GPU would crash about 12 minutes into the match while everything else continued working, and I'd have to reset. I haven't tried LoL on the laptop yet.

I'm taking a holiday from LoL but considering DOTA 2 and EQ/EQ2 through Steam until Crestfall launches. (I'll be waiting for launch instead of joining open beta.)

Any other comments people want to make are also appreciated.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, EdgarJWurst said:

While we're at it, what's a less crappy option from the two below (I'm not in a position to buy another computer right now unless it's worse than what I already have):

i3-2120 4GB 250GB Quadro 600 1GB (tower)

i5-530M 4GB 200GB Intel HD onboard (laptop)

I realize both are crap but I did manage to run the new LoL client on minimal settings on the tower. On normal settings or even on minimal settings with Discord voice use, the GPU would crash about 12 minutes into the match while everything else continued working, and I'd have to reset. I haven't tried LoL on the laptop yet.

I'm taking a holiday from LoL but considering DOTA 2 and EQ/EQ2 through Steam until Crestfall launches. (I'll be waiting for launch instead of joining open beta.)

Any other comments people want to make are also appreciated.

Well the quadro is awful for gaming since most devs dont even support its drivers, not to mention theres an artifical cap on benchmark cards for games. And the i3 is a sandy bridge cpu (came out 6 years ago) and as ive said before i3 are garbage, 2 core cpus cannot cut it anymore, even in toaster games Like Overwatch.

Honestly, Both are garbage and youd just be shooting yourself in the foot by wasting your money on them. Just keep the tower and swap the card with something like a 750 ti. They go for like 50 bucks on craiglist or 100 new.

Edited by MadeByRockets

7 hours ago, MadeByRockets said:

Well the quadro is awful for gaming since most devs dont even support its drivers, not to mention theres an artifical cap on benchmark cards for games. And the i3 is a sandy bridge cpu (came out 6 years ago) and as ive said before i3 are garbage, 2 core cpus cannot cut it anymore, even in toaster games Like Overwatch.

Honestly, Both are garbage and youd just be shooting yourself in the foot by wasting your money on them. Just keep the tower and swap the card with something like a 750 ti. They go for like 50 bucks on craiglist or 100 new.

I already own both the tower and the laptop. The problem is I can't afford anything better right now. I could perhaps upgrade the graphics card with something that goes into a PCIE-16 slot if I can find anything for that slot any more.

Oh, and by the way, my graphics just crashed after I hadn't even been playing a game most of the day. I heard a Windows error squeal through the audio, so the tower was still running and the display was just black. I think that crappy graphics card is screwed and I need to replace it anyway. It's a trash graphics card with only DVI and DisplayPort outlets, not even a VGA, let alone an HDMI. Why I bought it used off my brother, I'll never know.

I guess I have to pop out the graphics card and just use the onboard graphics, but those could be way too crap for any game made in the last 10 years. It's either that or not use the tower at all.

Okay, I'll stop QQing now. :)

7 hours ago, EdgarJWurst said:

not even a VGA, let alone an HDMI

VGA is an analog format that is slowly falling away from mainstream use... which displeases me deeply, as my monitor has only that and some games these days can't comprehend the idea of a cable that doesn't transmit digital signal (Wildstar and SWOTR).
That said, DVI (well except for DVI-A which is strictly analog) is essentially the same thing as HDMI, except the latter can also transmit sound.

On 2017-05-06 at 10:33 PM, buddhaseyes said:

Yeaaah, I know that it is much cheaper to build your own PC, but in my case .. well I bet things would be broken by even looking at them.

I might buy some upgrades in the future when I got the money, but for now I just want to have a simple solution where I cannot break anything! :P

Thanks anyways ;)

Edit: and besides, I have no Idea which parts are good, and which arent ... Thats why I don´t know if the prebuilt PC I want to buy is good enough for the newer games :P

There's some stores that will build the PC for you, you just pick the pieces. I suggest going that way if you don't want to build it.

Personally that's how I've always done it, pay someone else to do it or get my mate to do it.