Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
duzyizly

Reasons why looking for tank/heal takes long

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

WoWScrnShot_050117_192744.jpg

WoWScrnShot_051017_165012.jpg
Not sure if Lolysium or everywhere...

Edited by duzyizly

Its pretty well understood that most people, especially people who are trying to level quickly, will stay DPS specced/geared until 60. Assuming that the average Shaman hasn't collected much int/+healing gear as he leveled and isn't Resto, healing a 50+ dungeon will be a pain for the entire group. 

While I don't particularly mind keeping 2 sets of gear, most people would rather ignore dungeons unless a DPS slot is available. 

See, this is why you play alliance. The pool of potential tanks is higher and I bet there are more holy paladins than resto shammies too. :-D

Typically;

1. It's slower to level in either healing/tank spec or with healing/tank gear, so most capable classes are using DPS specs and gear.
  2. You need ~1 tank per 10 raiders at end game, which means tanks are always at a roughly 1 per 2 groups ratio, even at end game.
  3. Tanking carries a lot of responsibility. Many players dislike that. Healers get blamed for all wipes, many players dislike that. Those players choose DPS.
  4. Playing anything other than burst DPS in PvP takes co-ordination and a moderate amount of skill.
  5. DPS gets lots of big numbers, it's easy to see who is "the best" in a casual group where people only look at DPS meters, and is arguably the least responsibility and the most outright 'fun'.

Of the people who replied, unless the Druid was playing a Moonkin, he is about the only one easily able to adjust to the tank role.

Warrior tanks without a shield suck, warrior tanks without decent knowledge of what they are doing don't have the easy aoe threat of a Bear/Paladin, and Enhancement Shamans don't really have the mana pools to heal unless they have a secondary set. Most people DE/Vendor a secondary set as they level for mount gold.

That's why dps specs for paladins/shamans/warriors/druids/priests should be illegal. Everybody knows that.

I can only speak for myself but I allways enjoyed leveling in Hybrid Speccs ( Heck I love the Hybrid Idea in General).

As a Paladin, I Play as an offensive holy.

As a Priest, Discipline works just fine.  ( With Spirit Tap of course and a lot of wanding)

As a druid, heart of the Wild makes me perfect for every dungeon and probably even a better tank while leveling, because my gear scales better then warrior's does.

I admidtable never really leveled a resto shaman, but I can really imagine going into resto until like the hitcap or natures swiftnes maybe and do the rest with a mixture of onehanded enhancement and a bit of ele.

On 10. 5. 2017 at 5:39 PM, Hops said:

Assuming that the average Shaman hasn't collected much int/+healing gear as he leveled and isn't Resto, healing a 50+ dungeon will be a pain for the entire group. 

>implying shamans can't be tanks too

Leveling in a tank or heal specc is slower. So most people will unlikley ever do so. Yet neither do I believe that a tank or heal spec would be required to tank or heal a leveling dungeon. A warrior can easily tank in arms/fury specc.

So I think the reason is not about the spec but more about enjoying the gameplay. Most people enjoy putting out big crits and smash an oponents face (regardless of if he does it with a weapon or seplls).

Warrior Tank gameplay is pretty dull (personal opinion) and neither to they have anything to strive for. While a DPS can push for bigger dps on the next raid/dungeon they tank cant really improve. If he didnt die last time their is not really anything he good do better. Same for a healer. Still some people like that type of gameplay and those will play tank/heal. Yet it has shown that there are a lot more people enjoying to play dps compared to heal/tank.

BTW watching "omg zomg olololol crit videos" on YouTube just makes most people want to play that class. And I've seen only very few good/entertaining tank or heal footage while there are tons of great DPS videos (PvP and PvE)

It's not about spec... It's not about gear... It is all about:
57ebf39f53b073955a32b8098f9b1999_im-easy

Let's make a good conversation example:

TANK: LF2M heal and dps
SHAMAN whispers: DPS HERE!!!!!!11
TANK whispers: hey, could you please sign as healer, coz we are 4/5 already and missing a heal.
SHAMAN: FU NOOB IM PRO DPS.

Y... Usualy it looks like that - unfortently I lost all screenshots of those kind converstaions.
Don't even ask how super mad I am when I can see priest whispering me "dps".

Waiting for hate comments from XproXdpsX players

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Morrasul said:

Leveling in a tank or heal specc is slower. So most people will unlikley ever do so. Yet neither do I believe that a tank or heal spec would be required to tank or heal a leveling dungeon. A warrior can easily tank in arms/fury specc.

So I think the reason is not about the spec but more about enjoying the gameplay. Most people enjoy putting out big crits and smash an oponents face (regardless of if he does it with a weapon or seplls).

For me the main reason why I avoid tanking roles is because it's simply too stressing, not because leveling one is slow or because the game play is dull. Last time I tried to tank a raid was during a Firelands pug in Cata. I ended up panicking and close to tears and finally did an Alt + F4 because I freaked out. That character is still parked there because I was too embarrassed to log back in.

Healing also comes with more responsibility but at least you get to hang back and follow others. Tanks on the other hand are expected to know 100% what they are doing all the time, to never get lost, which packs to pull, which mobs to CC etc. all the while telling others what the tactics are as well. I want to have fun when playing WoW and having to deal with that stuff is the exact opposite. I play mostly DPS specs not because they're necessarily more fun gameplay wise but because they get to avoid that crap.

Edited by Lilaina

6 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

For me the main reason why I avoid tanking roles is because it's simply too stressing, not because leveling one is slow or because the game play is dull. Last time I tried to tank a raid was during a Firelands pug in Cata. I ended up panicking and close to tears and finally did an Alt + F4 because I freaked out. That character is still parked there because I was too embarrassed to log back in.

Healing also comes with more responsibility but at least you get to hang back and follow others. Tanks on the other hand are expected to know 100% what they are doing all the time, to never get lost, which packs to pull, which mobs to CC etc. all the while telling others what the tactics are as well. I want to have fun when playing WoW and having to deal with that stuff is the exact opposite. I play mostly DPS specs not because they're necessarily more fun gameplay wise but because they get to avoid that crap.

In a lot of expansions, I actually found the role of the tank easier than being DPS(though i only tanked during bc(hyjal)/wotlk and cata). You get the hang of the dungeons and bosses pretty easily and you don't have to compete with others, just make sure that you do your job as well as possible. Tank rotation is usually pretty straightforward (i really hate having difficult and especially random rotation). Positioning and managing the fight is so much more fun than keeping up with all the procs and random elements during DPSing. Paladin tank during start of Cata is probably the best tank iteration I have ever played, it was really fun with all the little utilities and heals that you could use on anyone once you had enough aggro)

If you go through all the content with people who haven't been there before it's fine, the problem is usually when there is a new tank who didn't start from the start of the expansion and everyone knows what to do except the tank.

1 hour ago, Lilaina said:

For me the main reason why I avoid tanking roles is because it's simply too stressing

I avoid tanking and healing because I can't alt-tab to change a song or reply to a message :P.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, meph said:

In a lot of expansions, I actually found the role of the tank easier than being DPS(though i only tanked during bc(hyjal)/wotlk and cata). You get the hang of the dungeons and bosses pretty easily and you don't have to compete with others, just make sure that you do your job as well as possible. Tank rotation is usually pretty straightforward (i really hate having difficult and especially random rotation). Positioning and managing the fight is so much more fun than keeping up with all the procs and random elements during DPSing. Paladin tank during start of Cata is probably the best tank iteration I have ever played, it was really fun with all the little utilities and heals that you could use on anyone once you had enough aggro)

If you go through all the content with people who haven't been there before it's fine, the problem is usually when there is a new tank who didn't start from the start of the expansion and everyone knows what to do except the tank.

I guess the learning curve is steeper for tanks but once you know what you're doing it becomes easy and you don't have to tryhard as much like DPS do, who will always have to compete in the dmg meter. Still, it's a learning curve I don't want to go through. The most tanking I ever did was during late WotLK when the 5 man heroics were really easy and I had them memorized. Even then people complained that I pulled too slowly. :P 

Edited by Lilaina
your≠you're

Posted (edited)

Healerpower.

Tanking takes knowledge... you know, you should actually know the fights and the dungeons. All I gotta do is pop some life power and not stand in the fire. Perfect for a lazy bum like me. 

DPS is all a pissing contest. I'm content with the length of my stream. 

But it's all about getting to the end as fast as possible. Can't level fast with all those talent points in improving your healing touch. 

I'll be here to heal... but I'll be 20 levels to low. 

Edited by Ugondiss

And I'll be there to tank your dungeons Ugondiss. Unless you play on the pvp server. Then you are on your own. 

:D

Posted (edited)

OK...
I would like to add that shamans and warriors are the only classes w/o CC (shamans can't hex before wotlk), so getting em as dps is one less CC for your party (even shadow priest can CC).

Also I don't understand this: "IM THE BEST DPS check your recap noob". Why do you even make competition of "who is the best dps"?

Edited by duzyizly

Motivational video to get more people to play healers:

1 hour ago, Lilaina said:

Motivational video to get more people to play healers:

Ok I'm rolling pala...

I generally find it harder to find a healer while leveling. Tanking while leveling is easy because your tanking gear is your leveling gear. All you have to do is get a decent shield & 1h'er or hop in bear form. Healing on the other hand, for all classes except priest, requires a full second set of +int/heal gear which can be frustrating to tote around in your 10slot bags. 

5 hours ago, duzyizly said:

OK...
I would like to add that shamans and warriors are the only classes w/o CC (shamans can't hex before wotlk), so getting em as dps is one less CC for your party (even shadow priest can CC).

Yeah, but they do have some clutch off heals and ankhs which can save a potential wipe or save the group a long walk back. And as a Resto druid main, I'm always appreciative of DPS who can rez if need be. (:

12 hours ago, WingziuM said:

And I'll be there to tank your dungeons Ugondiss. Unless you play on the pvp server. Then you are on your own. 

:D

Easy peazy, carebear, rage free leveling for this guy. I won't give those rogues thier satisfaction. 

I don't know what most pservers are like these days, but nostalrius led me to believe that healer rarity is an outdated meme. Games like TF2, MOBAs etc. must have made the support role much more popular over time.

Are we all playing the same game here ? cause my experience as Tank and Healer was horrendous.

Even if you are an experience tank you'll get those who don't know how to:

1. move out of the fire be it dps or the healer him/her self.

2. control their threat level. or attack before tank can generate enough threat.

3. run away from the tank instead of toward the tank when he/she get agro.

Well, @Balista, we tanks have to condition the others a little bit. They run away from you when they get aggro? Let them die, taunt the mob once he's dead. Of course, you can't do that with healers, but how often does the healer steal your aggro? We tanks have nothing to do with people dying to fire, just pull the mob a few steps away from the fire to make sure melees don't have to stand in it. And if a DPS doesn't control his threat? Fuck him, he's dead.

That's what I did to condition my Kara group, or better put, those 1-2 guys in my group who just didn't learn to focus the right mob and couldn't wait even 2 seconds at the beginning of a fight. Did that for one evening and they never intentionally switched focus or stole mobs at the beginning again. You just have to get the healers in on your plan.

2 hours ago, Balista said:

Are we all playing the same game here ? cause my experience as Tank and Healer was horrendous.

As a tank? Yes, I agree. Total nightmare for me. 

1. I suck

2. All those other examples you gave. 

As a healer? No way. Mucho funo. Follow every word your tank says. You make a friend (and bodyguard) for life. DPS try and pull the "you let me die" horseshit? Nope. You died cause of you.