Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Weave

Maybe a chance for pre-1.12 talents?

Hello friends,I just found out about this server and I believe its going to be great with all these nice scripts,work and liability it offers us but imo I'd love pre-1.12 talents and abilities.It would be perfect for the blizzlike progression feel if we had unavailable abilities for some classes or stuff like evocation for mages requiring talent points.On the other hand,2 major problems will emerge:

1)People will rage for class imbalances

2)Too much work for the staff to do this

In addition it would make raiding harder(which for me is good) as pserver raiding guilds are  accustomed to 1.12 talents,and will take time to figure out what the best specs will be.

Hands down most interesting feature for me..

Tell me your thoughts :P

It wont happen for one major reason;

It requires using a different client for each patch.

My strictly personal opinion is that there's already class imbalances in vanilla, that's part of the package old talents or not.

Your (2) is much more important because to do old talents, old versions of spells would require either (i) players to start on an earlier client and patch it up moving forward (1.3 > 1.4 > 1.9 > etc) which is impractical or (ii) an ungodly amount of work server side doing spell ability and talent overrides (i.e. ignoring the data stored in the 1.12.1 client files).

This is also leaving aside the extra work needed in research on mechanics and such which would increase by several orders of magnitude.

We already have problems getting stuff close to 100% when trying to emulate the game in its final resting state of classic, imagine trying to replicate that work for intermediate versions.

Aside from all the technical and manpower difficulties, personally I only see limited mileage out of "true" progression (items, content unlock as is already planned and on top of it spells and talents)

At most the first wave of levelers and people that go through content then it's done. Slower progressing folks or people joining later in the server life will miss it.

So while I'm not outright dismissive of the idea, I think it's too much work for too little result (the last part in particular, items and content unlock is more manageable and work is already done in large part)

7 hours ago, Elicas said:

It wont happen for one major reason;

It requires using a different client for each patch.

Replying here rather than starting a new topic, but a somewhat related question I've been curious about.

Does this mean we can't have Achievements in BC since (IIRC) they were packaged in the client version with WotLK talents? That would be kinda sad for me, since I plan to stay on BC permanently if possible, but I really enjoyed the Achievement system back when it came out in late BC and wish I had been able to make more use of it.

5 hours ago, Aerin said:

Replying here rather than starting a new topic, but a somewhat related question I've been curious about.

Does this mean we can't have Achievements in BC since (IIRC) they were packaged in the client version with WotLK talents? That would be kinda sad for me, since I plan to stay on BC permanently if possible, but I really enjoyed the Achievement system back when it came out in late BC and wish I had been able to make more use of it.

It was in a post long ago, I think in one of Darkrasp's old updates that they were going to build in little "checks" that your account and their core will remember throughout Vanilla, TBC, and finally into implementation as Achievements in WotLK

11 hours ago, Aerin said:

If you could add that question as a reply here I'll make sure it gets an official response this month. My understanding is that as the achievement system came with the WotLK pre-patch, it wont be active on our TBC realm at all, but i'll put the question to Dark and get a proper answer for you with Q&A #2.