Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

VaRK

Getting ahead of the leveling curve

Not sure if this was already discussed here - couldn't find similar threads in a reasonable amount of time :)

The point of the thread is probably clear from the title - what are the fastest ways to get ahead of the median while leveling in overpopulated starting and other low level locations? Say, I'm willing to spend 24 hours starting with server release solely on this goal. Does having a group or at least a partner help? Grinding outside main quest hubs? Exploration?

If there was similar discussions on Elysium/Nost forums, I would appreciate linkin to such threads.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The key to get ahead of the median, especially on server releases, is to have a thorough plan that you are ready to follow and continiously adapt on the go in ways that minimize downtime. Leveling the first levels by inn quests and exploration experience is both slower whilst having impact on your curve when you approach 10-20, by which I mean that many small streams merges into you lacking enough experience to accept a quest chain at the right time which will overall slow down your pace. Grinding will be acceptable on NPCs that are characterized by either a low healthpool or subpar resistance values (e.g. armor), but will in general be worse than straight up solo play or group questing for harder quests such as The Absent Minded Protector in Darkshore.

3 hours ago, VaRK said:

Not sure if this was already discussed here - couldn't find similar threads in a reasonable amount of time :)

The point of the thread is probably clear from the title - what are the fastest ways to get ahead of the median while leveling in overpopulated starting and other low level locations? Say, I'm willing to spend 24 hours starting with server release solely on this goal. Does having a group or at least a partner help? Grinding outside main quest hubs? Exploration?

If there was similar discussions on Elysium/Nost forums, I would appreciate linkin to such threads.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

if you're playing for 24 hours you'll get over the hump which is the starting zone in maybe 12 hours, even if you do every single quest, even if its in durotar or probably dun morough too

then you can have a relatively easy time in the barrens if horde, or an even easier time in silverpine if undead

then you can just quest in the barrens and (hopefully) do RFC till you've finished all the xroads quests, then the next day you can do the 3(technically 4) quests at the border of stonetalon then start on camp T

you'll be fine if you just do the entire starter zone in the first ~12 hours though, even if you take some time out for professions, then you can sleep and on next day you can do all 5 RFC quests(try to get a tauren party member), then you can do the barrens which is gonna be another bottleneck till you've finished the xroads quilboar quests, gotten 12 raptor heads, and gotten the plainstrider beaks and prowler claws

i dont remember that much about silverpine and i havent played alliance past level 1 except on a dev server where i wanted to know how some paladin thing worked

Grind in between questing locations. When you're headed to a mob camp for a quest with a dense player pop. You can take a nice long grind on the way there. For instance when you're going to the razormane camps in early barrens, take out every raptor or plainstrider on the way there. Step out of your path if you need to. 

If you get into a habit of killing every mob you see(granted its not a turtle or scorpid or something else super tanky) then you'll give yourself a lot of xp between quests, eventually you'll find yourself doing green quests and blasting through them with ease. When mobs are on respawn, go off and kill a few unrelated mobs and come back. 

I was constantly behind the leveling curve until I started grinding more. I was always finding myself out of quests that I could complete at my level or having to waste time traveling to other zones. But if you're able to grind out a good quarter of each level on mobs unrelated to quests you'll find yourself going quite smoothly. And it's also less strenuous than having to grind out a whole level at a time because you're out of quests

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate your help! I guess it's just a matter of how much time you're willing to spend gaming non-stop after release.

4 hours ago, VaRK said:

I guess it's just a matter of how much time you're willing to spend gaming non-stop after release.

You can spend -alot- of time playing non-stop after release and still progress slowly due to inefficiency that arises in regards to the logistics involved.