Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hops

Why the PvE server?

73 posts in this topic

I played retail from Vanilla to the end of WotLK (2005-2010), but always on a PvP server. I made a brief comeback for WOD so I could play with some new IRL friends and they just happened to be on a PvE server. I didn't think much of it at the time. I decided to forego the boost to 90 and instead I made a DK to enjoy some TBC nostalgia. I did the starter quests, made it to level 60, and tanked Ramps. Outland was pretty dead as expected, but it felt good to be back. That all changed when I saw my first alliance - a human Rogue killing boars outside of Thrallmar. By this point I had already forgotten that I was on a PvE server. I genuinely expected to lose, but I was excited to PvP for the first time since Wrath.  I felt the mini adrenaline rush as I b-lined towards him. I dropped Death and Decay so he couldn't vanish and then - nothing. He /waved /lol 'ed and went on his way.

I was stunned. Confused. Five years of playing WoW and I had never been more lost. What had just happened? I couldn't find words to describe how unsatisfied I was. I logged off that character and told the guys I couldn't play anymore.

For the life of me, I can't understand PvE servers. How does it make sense that the Horde and Alliance can't kill eachother? I get it, STV and Hillsbrad are pretty rough areas and sometimes I wanted to be invisible so I could level in peace... but not being able to wPvP at all takes the thrill and excitement out of the world. WoW becomes an an easier, less competitive, and overall simpler game. The opposing faction goes from something to be respectful of to nothing. That added layer of human interaction is completely stripped away.

Now, this is just my opinion and I'm not implying that the dev's shouldn't make a PvE server. I'd just like to understand what makes YOU want to play a PvE server? Is there something that I'm missing?

Posted (edited)

Personally i prefer a PvE server where i can go about my business and not be bothered so much. PvP isn't a bad thing don't get me wrong but not everyone has the same tastes.

Edited by Kyda

Not everyone wants to do pvp. "and sometimes I wanted to be invisible so I could level in peace" That is one reason why. Not everyone wants to get ganked when all the want to do is just level. If people on a pve server want to do pvp they have that choice, such as battle grounds. Just like there are rp servers as well. People like to really get immersed in their role play, hence the rp servers. Not everyone is into the same things.

To me playing on a PvE server is playing only half of the game. You get to quest "in peace" but forfeit the extremely fun world PvP that can happen while leveling, making the experience very dull and one-dimensional. Once maxed, there's no world PvP either, a vital portion of the game is missing and you can't turn it back on, which seems like a poor long term choice to me, just so you can speed up the leveling a tiny bit. And yeah, factions make no sense in this case.

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Terpsichore said:

To me playing on a PvE server is playing only half of the game. You get to quest "in peace" but forfeit the extremely fun world PvP that can happen while leveling, making the experience very dull and one-dimensional. Once maxed, there's no world PvP either, a vital portion of the game is missing and you can't turn it back on, which seems like a poor long term choice to me, just so you can speed up the leveling a tiny bit. And yeah, factions make no sense in this case.

To be fair, you can still get flagged for PvP on PvE realms. Attack any opposing faction members (flagged playeres or NPCs), enter one of their capitals or do it manually by typing /pvp into the chat. WPvP can still happen on these realms.

Edited by Nefiji

because we get bored of being camped by top levels try hards that get on that lvl on less than a week of powerleveling, while we normal people like to take our time and enjoy the game, the secondary profesions and do "normal" stuff...thats why pve is the best

I always play on PvP servers because i like world PvP. But on retail always on RP-PvP server, not that i do alot RP. Reason is that i actualy hate PvP servers they are populated with alot more kids, and i don't mean actual age but more the mental development. Immature world chat (in much bigger extent), griefing (if you compare to RP-pvp) etc. I do play on PvP and still will but my view are population on regular PvP servers (and even more so on Private servers) are cancer. 

People make it sound like camping low levels is an everyday ocurrence. I've been playing on PvP servers since the game was released and can count with the fingers of both hands the times I experienced anything of the sort, and it was mostly either my own fault for trying to butt in, or was done to stir up some action in the zone. There's no more intrinsic value in oneshoting a low level than there is in killing a boar in Durotar. When actually done, it's usually so you ask for help and people come there for actual PvP.

Because I don't particularly like the games PvP.

Because little Anduin says we can live in peace.

I like fishing, and it's hard to defend yourself with a fishing pole. Just leave me be.

2 hours ago, Terpsichore said:

People make it sound like camping low levels is an everyday ocurrence. I've been playing on PvP servers since the game was released and can count with the fingers of both hands the times I experienced anything of the sort, and it was mostly either my own fault for trying to butt in, or was done to stir up some action in the zone. There's no more intrinsic value in oneshoting a low level than there is in killing a boar in Durotar. When actually done, it's usually so you ask for help and people come there for actual PvP.

Sounds like you enjoy some pvp'ing. That's great. I hope you get what you want... but camping lower levels is a real thing that continues to plague some private servers. Funny you say it's happened to you less then 10 times since release. It happened to me about that many times in a weekend recently. And I agree with you, I can't for the life of me find the fun in it. But there's some ppl who would disagree.  My last 10 hours or so of a pvp server, I spent more time in prowl mode, then I did in bear form. I know, git gud Ugo. Naaaa, I'll just take it chill on the pve side. 

Because that so called world pvp, aka ganking, is not fun for me. Like 5% of the time both sides want that fight, other 95% of the time it's just plain ganking to ruin other persons day. Most people I've heard crying about pve servers, are undead rogues. Try playing solo alliance priest example and tell me how fun it is to get ganked non stop by horde GROUPS. I can pvp in battlegrounds all I want, and even those who really want to world PVP, can /pvp on pve server. 

44 minutes ago, Ugondiss said:

Sounds like you enjoy some pvp'ing. That's great. I hope you get what you want... but camping lower levels is a real thing that continues to plague some private servers. Funny you say it's happened to you less then 10 times since release. It happened to me about that many times in a weekend recently. And I agree with you, I can't for the life of me find the fun in it. But there's some ppl who would disagree.  My last 10 hours or so of a pvp server, I spent more time in prowl mode, then I did in bear form. I know, git gud Ugo. Naaaa, I'll just take it chill on the pve side. 

42 minutes ago, VeloxBanks said:

PVE realms are for people who have no interest in WPVP. Get it? Someone who doesn't like WPVP. Someone who wants to avoid it. Someone who doesn't need or want WPVP in their game. Not being able to WPVP doesn't "take the thrill and excitement out of the world" for them. They don't want that "added layer of human interaction". They don't want a more competitive game. They want their game that little bit simpler and easier. That's what they're looking for. They lose nothing as they find exactly what they're looking for.

Sorry if I came off as a bit irritated. Perhaps it's because I am. The answer to your question is rather obvious. Common sense is all you need to get an answer.

Should be kept in mind that I'll be rolling on the PVP realm myself. I'm 110% on that. And somehow I never found it hard to figure out why someone would want to roll on a PVE server. It really isn't rocket science. A basic understanding of what "preference" means is all you really need.

There is nothing to understand. PVE realms are a way to play the game, PVP realms are a different way to play the game. Neither one is inferior in any way. People who don't want WPVP know where to roll, as do the people who do want WPVP. Both groups are happy and everything is fine. There is also no need to go around telling people that the way they play (and enjoy) the game is wrong or inferior because "it takes the thrill and excitement out of the game" or "they enjoy getting ganked by 60s all the time". And no, you didn't say that. Not directly at least. But you did list all those things as cons which, whether intended or not, boils down to you saying "PVE realms are bad".

Next time I see a thead like this I'm just copying what I wrote here. It's always the same old stuff anyway.

/rantover

Even if i do my self like wpvp and play on pvp servers i do agree with these 2 pveers (no negative meaning by that from me). I love wpvp when it comes down to around same lvl fighting and forming of groups so you can battle it of. But i often se:

1. Gank when enemy have 2 mobs on them or/and have 20%hp

2. I gank lvl 20s with my 60 for the fun of it. Cus they be mad bro....

3. I try gank someone, got my ass handle to me. Logg on my 60 or call 60 guildie that camp the other player.

PvP servers would be a wonderfull place if players were more up to somewhat even fights. When you don't gangrape 1 alone with 5 m8s etc. 

I tend to lvl my alliance Ashenvale/stonetalon when i hit 19 because its fun. But i do agree most of wpvp are more griefing than actualy fun. 

Sometimes i feel wpvp have the same problem many of premades have. It's more about killing easy targets to farm honor/ego boost. Rather than challange your self to become better.

Ress sickness buff on gankers would be awesome.Just thought.

Posted (edited)

The PvE server is there so we don't have to listen to PvE people complaining all the time that they have to play on a PvP server.

Edited by Xaverius

I thought I wanted to play on a PvE realm after spending most of my retail time on a PvP realm but honestly, after playing on Elysium's PvE realm, I'm having second thoughts and might just roll on CF's PvP realm. It simply didn't feel the same although being able to stroll to Hemet's camp without worries was pretty nice too. Guess it depends on how much you value your spare time compared to the adrenaline rush that you can get over on PvP.

Because Wow's PVP isn't that great, sorry.  The number balance is terrible and any game where you can click on your target to put a circle below their feet and all of a sudden all of your skills hit without having to aim anything is not a PVP experience I'm interested in.

Zul'Dare will stand or fall on the number of people who play there, and the financial commitment they bring.

Any opinion is pointless as people have a choice.

This whole argument is boring and irrelevant. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, VeloxBanks said:

TL;DR

autistic-screeching-dude.jpg

videotogif_2017.05.20_08.19.08.gif

Edited by Bluemoon

1 hour ago, Xaverius said:

The PvE server is there so we don't have to listen to PvE people complaining all the time that they have to play on a PvP server.

LOL! Two shay my good sir. 

But what about all the "make raids harder/easier/no flask/world buffs/ihateallwhodisagree" topics that spring up every month? We have to listen to that.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ugondiss said:

LOL! Two shay my good sir. 

But what about all the "make raids harder/easier/no flask/world buffs/ihateallwhodisagree" topics that spring up every month? We have to listen to that.

Whining on forums about pretty much every aspect of the game is a part of the server being Blizzlike.

Edited by Macu

I like PVE Servers because Im an adult with responsibilities and I dont have 10 hours a day to play anymore. Nothing sucks more than only having an hour or 2 in a day to play and you spend half of it getting ganked and making no progress on whatever you were trying to do. 

PVE lets me do the parts I like without having to do the parts I don't like such as WPVP.

I don't want to deal with legions of Rogues waiting until I'm midway through fighting 1/2 mobs before they decide to skill shot me.

I like to PvE in the world and PvP in battlegrounds. I do what I want, when I want it instead of being forced to.

5 hours ago, Lloyd2k4 said:

Because Wow's PVP isn't that great, sorry.  The number balance is terrible and any game where you can click on your target to put a circle below their feet and all of a sudden all of your skills hit without having to aim anything is not a PVP experience I'm interested in.

But that's the core of PvE/raiding too. Isn't it? Tab target, mash buttons, move, and repeat as necessary.