Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Elicas

Q&A 2

64 posts in this topic
21 minutes ago, Elicas said:

All questions for this Q&A were taken from replies to the last Q&A post.

I was under the impression that you also include questions from Outstanding's thread. Nevermind, there it is again:

Very impressed with your plans on handling the herb nodes. I'm assuming similar techniques will be used for mining nodes.

My next set of questions for you guys, hope it's not a problem:

1. Will Ragnaros be immune to taunt? There was a bit of a drama on Nost about this, cos some ppl claimed that Ragnaros was immune to taunt before nerfs and other insisted that he wasn't. I'm curious about Your data on this.
2. Will you consider fixing the "A Crew Under Fire" quest from Azshara which Blizzard left bugged for an unknown reason? Maybe it could give some exp on completion, maybe a bunch of silver?

Thank you

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, Elicas said:
  • How will you be handling leveling quests in respect to what was/wasn't available in each patch?

For the most part we intend to just leave them in the 1.12 state, barring a handful of quests which provide exceptional rewards out of step with the rest of what is available, or reputation rewards linked to unreleased content.  This more or less ties into why we want to launch with Maraudon active - it's content better experienced at the level it was designed for, and few people will go back to experience it at 60.  The only things off the top of my head that we're removing at launch (aside from altered loot tables and reverted item stats) are a handful of vendors/vendor recipes, the Zandalar Tribe, the entire population of Cenarion Hold, some of the quests and NPCs at Light's Hope Chapel, the Darkmoon Faire, the T0.5 questgivers, and the Azshara class quests.  Also we have removed the Darkmoon Faire and Argent Dawn-specific reputation items from drop tables, so you won't be able to save up Savage Fronds or Evil Bat Eyes prior to the release of the associated content

So... Can we expect questlines like: Marg Speaks or Job Opening: Guard Captain of Revantusk Village  (along with 3 others Jintha'alor elite quests) exist on CF from very beggining?

Or more like... Could you list unavaible quests?

Edited by duzyizly

How long will the open beta last? What if people level up to 60 which takes nearly 2 months to make a raid too ? Do you want people to test Naxx in open beta too ? Like, all content ?

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Macu said:

1. Will Ragnaros be immune to taunt? There was a bit of a drama on Nost about this, cos some ppl claimed that Ragnaros was immune to taunt before nerfs and other insisted that he wasn't. I'm curious about Your data on this.

(1) I was corrected on this very early in CF life, because I answered from memory and my memory was bad.

Having had to check more carefully and look at my old guild forum posts with strategies from Classic as well as provided with video evidence of Taunt debuff on Ragnaros, the answer is that he is not immune to Taunt.

A question of my own:

Q: In the same vein of launching with Maraudon so it takes it proper place in the leveling progression, will all the Level 50 class quests that are completed in Sunken Temple be available at the start?

They were originally added in three batches 1.7.0 

- A level 50 class quest has been added for the Rogue (Lord Ravenholdt
  in Ravenholdt Manor), Priest (Greta Mosshoof in Felwood), Mage
  (Archmage Xylem in Azshara), and Hunter (Ogtinc in Azshara).

- Added level 50 class quests for the Warrior, Shaman, Paladin, and
  Warlock. Trainers in the major cities will let you know where to start
  your quest.

and finally Druid level 50 class quest in 1.11.1.

I think it would make sense to have them all added together and have them available for levelers going through ST (unlikely for anyone but completionists to go back for them at 60), but interested to know the plans for this regardless :)

Quest IDs for the ending quests:

• 8232 (Hunter)
  • 8236 (Rogue)
  • 8253 (Mage)
  • 8257 (Priest)
  • 8413 (Shaman)
  • 8418 (Paladin)
  • 8422 (Warlock)
  • 8425 (Warrior)
  • 9053 (Druid)
Edited by Roadblock

7 hours ago, Elicas said:
  • Will we be able to use tunneling services to connect to Crestfall?

Unlikely.  We are blacklisting VPN services.  It's possible that if you're on a small one you will sneak through, but our VPN protections are pretty solid and will be continually worked on and improved post-launch.

Thats disappointing. Ill have to wait for Beta to see how bad my connection is going to be.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Roadblock said:

Q: In the same vein of launching with Maraudon so it takes it proper place in the leveling progression, will all the Level 50 class quests that are completed in Sunken Temple be available at the start?

I thought those were these:

16 hours ago, Elicas said:

The only things off the top of my head that we're removing at launch (aside from altered loot tables and reverted item stats) are a handful of vendors/vendor recipes, the Zandalar Tribe, the entire population of Cenarion Hold, some of the quests and NPCs at Light's Hope Chapel, the Darkmoon Faire, the T0.5 questgivers, and the Azshara class quests

Edited by Xaverius

10 hours ago, Planks said:

Thats disappointing. Ill have to wait for Beta to see how bad my connection is going to be.

I'm contemplating making my own VPN at home and connecting through that when needed.

18 hours ago, Elicas said:
  • Will achievements be unavailable on the TBC server due to being introduced as part of the Wrath pre-patch?

That is correct. We will be running on the standard 2.4.3 client, not the 3.0 client. However, one of the things being worked on is achievement trigger checks being built in to our Vanilla and TBC emulator, meaning all your achievements *should* be triggered once you transfer to WotLK. One of the benefits we have over the original devs is knowing what's coming ahead, after all!

As much as I'd like to believe that, I really don't see you creating something that'd remember if you fell 65 yards without dying (Going Down?) or if you ever killed 15 turkeys in 3 minutes (Friend or Fowl?). I understand things like boss killing achievements could be logged. Before the launch, you should provide us with clear facts, if it's working or not, because I myself would be all over doing achievements in Vanilla.

19 hours ago, Elicas said:
  • What instructions will be given to the GM team regarding chat channels, particularly ones like /world which are non-standard but almost universally used?

The team has no intention of moderating player created channels, guild chat, party chat, etc. The only chats that will have any form of sanctions will be the 'official' client based chat channels such as trade/zone chats, or whispers if someone is abusing character creation to get around you blocking them. We will be relying on players reporting behaviour, as we will not have GM's policing what people say.  Simply put, if you don't like what's being said in a private channel, leave it.  We understand there is some desire to simply have /world be an "ownerless" channel so that people can't abuse the power, and are considering this.

This means that its decided that all channels will be avaiable with no limit?

When I played retail, maybe because I was a noob, I was mostly on the city because of the trade channel to find instances, maybe having the /world channel is blizzlike but, wouldn't it be better to have it limited to a certain number of people so you cant have a global channel where you can be anywhere farming anything and find a dudgeon?

Will there be consideration of community 'events' or 'give aways' of TCG items since there won't be an "item shop" of any kind?

Just a couple questions regarding the final boss of AQ40 (C'thun) and how the server will handle a world event of this scale. Those who attempted to down C'thun back during retail vanilla wow discovered it was literally impossible to even accomplish that because C'thun was so bugged that you were lucky to even drop C'thun below 90% health before that bad boy wiped the entire raid of 40 players in the best gear at the time.

Article Link: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-story-of-cthun-how-a-wow-boss-drove-raiders-to-madness/

Q: That being said, will C'thun be scripted so that he isn't bugged like he was back in vanilla but still poses a nice challenge instead of being unnecessarily nerfed so a repeat of the aforementioned can hopefully be avoided?

It would be a shame if facing C'thun was a disappointing and frustrating experience like it was for a good many players back in retail vanilla wow.

Q: On that note, how well will the server/s perform under the stress of what may very well be a high pop world event? Also back in retail vanilla wow lots of players experienced high latency and crashes which obviously isn't a good thing.

I assume there will be a wipe of sorts after the open beta, to level the playing field for full release. Just to be safe, is that the case?

And if so, is it possible to not wipe actual characters, just reset them to the starting level and place and whatnot?  So that names won't be ninjaed by some devious and envious individuals. 

On 5/21/2017 at 11:40 AM, Elicas said:

We clearly can't go back to the old 10-man versions of many of these instances simply because not enough data exists out there to do so while pretending to have any degree of accuracy, but we can revert several of the later changes.

Dawwww, this was one of the things I hoped to get out of the most real vanilla experience possible, the "raid" dungeons. Alas.

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Talamat said:

I'm contemplating making my own VPN at home and connecting through that when needed.

Let me know how that goes.

I'm still hoping for something for Oceanic/Asia.

Question: Do the devs have any ideas about maintaining faction balance?

Edited by Planks

11 hours ago, Kyda said:

It would be a shame if facing C'thun was a disappointing and frustrating experience like it was for a good many players back in retail vanilla wow.

Indeed. Raise hand who thinks we should buff him even more.

I mean, tryhards will probably find a way to get buffed enough to kill him even in the OP bugged state.

21 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

I mean, tryhards will probably find a way to get buffed enough to kill him even in the OP bugged state.

You've made a few comments about "tryhards" recently. What do you have against serious players? I always appreciated them for creating the strats I used and doing the number crunching so that I didn't have to.

Just now, Hops said:

You've made a few comments about "tryhards" recently. What do you have against serious players? I always appreciated them for creating the strats I used and doing the number crunching so that I didn't have to.

Mostly their need to clear any raid in 15 minutes since it opens. That kind of thing has been moot for over a decade. It just makes my blood boil. Their vain effort to chase something that has been available only once and that cannot ever be brought back unless they figure out how to erase their memories and are somehow prevented from finding guides. Only with that, and only with 1:1 settings of the raid and the game, will the playing field be truly even. None of those things are possible.

Then they go and sit and complain that there's nothing to do. Well no wonder ye pitiful amoebas, if you consume the content in seconds like a swarm of locust, of course there's nothing left.

Just now, Xaverius said:

Mostly their need to clear any raid in 15 minutes since it opens. That kind of thing has been moot for over a decade. It just makes my blood boil. Their vain effort to chase something that has been available only once and that cannot ever be brought back unless they figure out how to erase their memories and are somehow prevented from finding guides. Only with that, and only with 1:1 settings of the raid and the game, will the playing field be truly even. None of those things are possible.

Then they go and sit and complain that there's nothing to do. Well no wonder ye pitiful amoebas, if you consume the content in seconds like a swarm of locust, of course there's nothing left.

While that is true, the opposite can also be said. Many guilds throughout all of the expansions were so casual that they never even saw much of the end-game content. The majority of players never killed C'thun at all, much less set foot in Naxx. Similarly, most casual guilds couldn't even clear SSC/TK in order to attune to T5 so they had to remove the gate. Elitists have always been instrumental to the development of the game and paving the way for less serious raiders. I always found it admirable, if not a little crazy, that people would try a boss 20+ times during progression without calling it quits for the night. That's why we all remember Nihillum, Alleria, vodka, Death & Taxes, SK Gaming, etc. because they were the firsts.

49 minutes ago, Hops said:

Elitists have always been instrumental to the development of the game

Need I remind you of the GM of Elitist Jerks who became the development lead for the game and.. is pretty much the reason a lot of us want to play the game that existed before his time. 

Instrumental to the downfall of the game more like it.

Thanks Ion.

5 minutes ago, pvescrub said:

Need I remind you of the GM of Elitist Jerks who became the development lead for the game and.. is pretty much the reason a lot of us want to play the game that existed before his time. 

Instrumental to the downfall of the game more like it.

Thanks Ion.

Sure, but that's one guy. In interviews, Kungen talked about how he and his guild were in regular correspondence with Blizzard employees and that Devs would watch their progress nights to understand how players reacted to new mechanics. These higher end guilds were also responsible to creating things like EJ, Shadowpanther, Tankspot and even mods like DBM that helped millions of players learn how to clear content.

6 minutes ago, Hops said:

Sure, but that's one guy. In interviews, Kungen talked about how he and his guild were in regular correspondence with Blizzard employees and that Devs would watch their progress nights to understand how players reacted to new mechanics. These higher end guilds were also responsible to creating things like EJ, Shadowpanther, Tankspot and even mods like DBM that helped millions of players learn how to clear content.

It's not just one guy, Blizzard hired more Elitist Jerks than just Ion.

And there is also the flipsides of the coin, that elitist jerks want it all, want it now, and will do anything to get there first. Clever uses of mechanics, like saronite grenades on LK. And once you actually had them developing the game, it just went down the toilet. 

Additionally, none of what you listed is required for anyone to clear the content. Sure, it might make it easier, but isn't the idea of challenge part of what is supposed to be attractive about legacy vs. retail. 

To be honest, it might have been even preferable to learn the fights with the guild instead of having to watch videos in advance. Takes some fun out of it. But all at the very least semi-serious guilds pretty much mandate you know the fight before even stepping in. And with videos from beta patches available everywhere, it's an easy thing to demand.

This isn't the place for this conversation. Please keep it to discussion of either the Q&A answers, or supplying further questions for Q&A3.

Please make a new thread if you want to carry on the discussion regarding fine tuning raid difficulty, though I will remind everyone to keep respectful. I'm pleased that you all behaved yourself above, but please take it to a different thread and stay on topic.