Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Rele

Disabling controversial features

28 posts in this topic

Greetings,

This is mainly directed towards the devs of this project, but everyone's welcome to share their thoughts about this topic.

I have been following this project for almost a year now and love the main idea, Progression Through Expansion. However there's something really bothering me, the fact that the Crestfall Staff has essentially confirmed that they will not disable any controversial features from the game. Most of you already know what I'm talking about, it's features like Dungeon Finder and heirlooms that for me (and a lot of others) drastically damage the game. Now some of you might say that it's a part of the game and that it's not Blizzlike, which I to some degree understand, but we're already tweaking some raid encounters, which don't get me wrong I really like, but isn't Blizzlike either, is it?

I'm not saying that the devs should immediately disable Dungeon Finder because of this post, what I'm trying to say is that the playerbase should be the one deciding such things, they are the ones affected by this. I think there should atleast be a poll about this.

Kind Regards,

Rele

Edited by Rele

5 minutes ago, Rele said:

(...)

I'm not saying that the devs should immediately disable Dungeon Finder because of this post, what I'm trying to say is that the playerbase should be the one deciding such things, they are the ones affected by this. I think there should atleast be a poll about this.

I was planning to start a poll about dungeon finder after a Crestfall launch, since it will be a moment when the Devs start to work on TBC content.

Nevertheless, Asura will be the one deciding about such matters, even f 90% of the community would vote against (or for) the controversial features. Which is fine, Crestfall is his baby after all.

I'm quite inclined to stay on a Vanilla/TBC realm forever, so my characters will never experience the dreaded dungeon finder.

It's one thing to tweak a boss fight a little, and another to completely disable an entire feature.

Edited by ilovecats

You're talking about features that aren't part of the game till at least the 3rd expansion when open beta hasn't even launched. Let's see when and if the project launches and how well it does through vanilla and onwards.

you're talking years from now, worry and talk about those game aspects later. 

2 hours ago, Rele said:

I'm trying to say is that the playerbase should be the one deciding such things, they are the ones affected by this.

Well, Blizzard started listening to the communty and the players actually received quite a big say in how things would to turn out. Look at where their game is now. We're here for a reason. I'm not saying you shouldn't reach out to the playerbase, but watch out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that disabling RDF would be wrong or anything, but I'm heavily against the playerbase deciding such things.

I believe there intention is to recreate to Wow experience as it was then, you mention custom tuning as being unblizzlike, but it's mandatory if you want an authentic experience, and want the original boss design to be relevant.

Everyone has their own pet-peeve with wow, their own thing they think ruined the game, and of course there's no clear cut answer or line, and it's all subjective. The developers of the project have to choose a philosophy and stick to it, making custom changes on the player bases' whim isn't something that they can really do.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

I'd like to see dungeon finder disabled and some of the welfare epics from ToC onwards removed/rebalanced/redistributed but I also agree that big changes like that shouldn't be done lightly. Lets play through vanilla and TBC first and then we'll see what Asura thinks I guess. :P

Agreed that such things need to be discussed, and I doubt we would actually see much change.

However, if there is one thing I would like to never see in the game again - its Heirlooms. That design decision is what killed everything from level 1-max.

Dungeon Finder was added towards end of Wrath, 3.3.0 to be exact. Should it exists in any form, probably the best way to include it is the way Blizzard did, late into the progression of the content.

Don't forget death knights. We should disable death knights.

And hunters.

And draenei.

Edited by Xaverius
Possibly also gnomes.

And keep resilence as it was in TBC. I quite frankly began to miss the incredibly long arenas of S3 in the horrendous "Loladin/DK" meta of the new expansion. I even missed the Shadowstep/Hemo rogue, the good times ganking in Sunwell and glitching guard mobs. Ah, those were the days...

In fact, disable WOTLK entirely :P 

Edited by Roland

16 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

And hunters.

And draenei.

And gnomes.

On a more serious note, I think we should cherish the amount of time we have to not worry about this. As was mentioned before, if things like dungeon finder get implemented (as they likely will be) it's still a long way off. Probably not gonna be me as I'm quite the lifeless sack of waste but many people will probably even quit playing due to burnout by the time the dungeon finder, heirloom or whatever "quality of life" (AKA cancer) update comes around. I hope I'm wrong since [something something community is important something something].

The thought that I won't have to worry about trash like flying mounts for another several years is honestly quite blissful. Same goes for dungeon finder. Not to mention that by the time these things get added a whole bunch of other bad things might happen to the project simply because there's so much time. Here's hoping things don't go that way.

also remove undead rogues thanks

5 hours ago, VeloxBanks said:

also remove undead rogues thanks

correction : remove autists

38 minutes ago, Chizzum said:

If ToC is disabled i'll play WOtlk aswell :P

Silly person, just don't play ToC.

I actually liked it, no mindless trash and a bit of different raiding for a change. 

On the topic of LFD and LFR, how would it affect the server community on one server. It'd still be the same players. I get the argument on retail, but here.. seems odd. Only difference would be auto teleport to dungeon instead of having to use summoning stones. 

Edited by pvescrub

23 minutes ago, Njut said:

correction : remove autists

lul i see more undead mages tbh (ely/ely)

everyones a special vurtne.

Edited by Brikot

8 hours ago, Xaverius said:

And hunters.

And draenei.

Dwarf master race.

The following is my personal opinion, and does not reflect what will happen further down the line;

I could very well see us changing some raid tiers in WotLK. Extending how long Ulduar is out for before releasing ToC (and making ToC last much less time), as well as removing tier gear from justice/valour badges.

I could also see us disabling LFR and LFD.

Err... tier gear from justice/valour is what kept the engine going, people doing dungeons and so on. There is no need go for the.. elitist approach I suppose.

I'm not sure whether this is the right place for that discussion either, so I might actually make the thread about it.

23 minutes ago, pvescrub said:

Err... tier gear from justice/valour is what kept the engine going, people doing dungeons and so on. There is no need go for the.. elitist approach I suppose.

I'm not sure whether this is the right place for that discussion either, so I might actually make the thread about it.

It seems that what was just a regular game in vanilla and tbc, is an "elitist approach" in wotlk. I guess nowadays leveling,  rather then buying a 90 lvl character straight on, is an elitist approach :D

3 minutes ago, Macu said:

It seems that what was just a regular game in vanilla and tbc, is an "elitist approach" in wotlk. I guess nowadays leveling,  rather then buying a 90 lvl character straight on, is an elitist approach :D

Oh no, but if the stuff is meant to be Blizzlike.. is there a limit where Blizzlikeness is too Blizzlike? I would assume each expansion would be as Blizzlike as possible. Or would you, let's say disable flight because it wasn't in Vanilla, and is bad for wPVP (experts say) and so on. Slippery slopes, you know.

As another point, one might also disable the heroic raid difficulty in WoTLK, because it was such a new thing. Just normal tier. But not many advocate for that, because they want to go for the prestige approach in the game, be the best and show it! Some might want another approach, and what was advocated was removing that approach entirely.

That is Elitist.

What made Vanilla what it is can be experienced during the Vanilla period of the progression, and one can always personally halt the progression too. Why would WoTLK have to be Vanilla? WoTLK had it's own features that made it great, and still attract people to play it. 

Crestfall has moved some way from the pure "Blizzlike" moniker.

We're Blizzlike+, Blizzlike is the base, but we will make any changes we see fit for the long term health and betterment of the server.

3 minutes ago, Elicas said:

Crestfall has moved some way from the pure "Blizzlike" moniker.

We're Blizzlike+, Blizzlike is the base, but we will make any changes we see fit for the long term health and betterment of the server.

Pray tell how you make those decisions, the flying debacle on retail alone was split pretty much 50-50.

Just let it be know beforehand how casual friendly you intend to be, because it might be a deciding factor for some people. And honesty is the best approach. Don't be too Blizzlike in this at least ;)

7 minutes ago, pvescrub said:

Pray tell how you make those decisions, the flying debacle on retail alone was split pretty much 50-50.

Just let it be know beforehand how casual friendly you intend to be, because it might be a deciding factor for some people. And honesty is the best approach. Don't be too Blizzlike in this at least ;)

who said casual friendly ?

1 minute ago, Brikot said:

who said casual friendly ?

I did. You just quoted me. It was a question to @Elicas on the matter at hand, and bigger picture.

Edited by pvescrub