Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

machack

Yet Another Newbie

Well, I've loved the idea of joining a legacy server for a while now, but Nost was purportedly overrun with goldsellers and I hadn't heard of any others when I first looked, so I've never tried one out.  And then some twist of fate led me link hopping here, and I am definitely sticking around. :)

I never played vanilla wow - i started in late BC but didn't really start playing properly until mid-wrath, and healed in my guild for 25H raids until Cata dropped.  I still play off and on, but I've been nostalgic for Vanilla zones for ages, and I look forward to experiencing them with crestfall!

I too have little to no experience of Vanilla. Cata changes ruined the zones, I miss the old Barrens.

Welcome and see you in game!

I mean I really enjoyed the new story and the new world for a little while, but then it threw me off when i went back in time apparently??? to do BC and Wrath stuff, and honestly it's really kind of tiresome at this point.  We all know what happens with Deathwing, but years later and y'all are still evacuating refugees and stuff?  Bluh.

Vanilla questing zones might not have had the same sense of overarching plot and connectivity most of the time, but honestly I feel like that was a GOOD thing once xpacs started coming out, since the world was theoretically changing but they couldn't really properly reflect it for lower level characters.  Much like we're dealing with on live now.

Welcome. ^_^

1 hour ago, machack said:

Vanilla questing zones might not have had the same sense of overarching plot and connectivity most of the time, but honestly I feel like that was a GOOD thing once xpacs started coming out, since the world was theoretically changing but they couldn't really properly reflect it for lower level characters.  Much like we're dealing with on live now.

There are overarching plots in the vanilla world too. In fact, I prefer them over the cinematic, on-the-rails, voice acted, stuff that Blizz does these days. On the Alliance side for instance, you have the whole Defias/Onyxia conspiracy going on across most of the southern EK and Dustwallow Marsh. It's more subtle and requires the player to pay attention but it's actually pretty well written how all the small quests add up to this one big master plan of the black dragonflight to weaken Stormwind. Then there's the Night Elf quest that deals with the Scythe of Elune and it's all connected to what's going on in Duskwood. Or the rise of the Silithid in Un'goro, Tanaris, and Feralas, culminating in Silithus.I like the mystery and immersion of these quests. Shame that there's less of them with each expansion, and even in vanilla game itself at higher levels. Does Horde have something similar btw?

I agree that new expansions made the continuity of the story problematic. These days the player character is expected to have killed all the bosses of the previous expansion and met all the new lore NPCs. During TBC you could still roleplay as someone who didn't participate in all the end content. And Cata and WoD just messed everything irreparably. :(

@Lilaina

I was doing WoD quests a few weeks ago and Admiral Taylor (who? I always played Horde) said we've been through a lot, as if I played since Vanilla. Bitch, I only subbed three months ago!

Just now, Lilaina said:

There are overarching plots in the vanilla world too. In fact, I prefer them over the cinematic, on-the-rails, voice acted, stuff that Blizz does these days. On the Alliance side for instance, you have the whole Defias/Onyxia conspiracy going on across most of the southern EK and Dustwallow Marsh. It's more subtle and requires the player to pay attention but it's actually pretty well written how all the small quests add up to this one big master plan of the black dragonflight to weaken Stormwind. Then there's the Night Elf quest that deals with the Scythe of Elune and it's all connected to what's going on in Duskwood. Or the rise of the Silithid in Un'goro, Tanaris, and Feralas, culminating in Silithus.I like the mystery and immersion of these quests. Shame that there's less of them with each expansion, and even in vanilla game itself at higher levels. Does Horde have something similar btw?

Yeah, I mean there definitely WAS overarching stories, but it was easy to just not pay attention if you didn't much care, rather than having everything all being shoved in your face via cutscenes and dramatic phasing and such.  Those things used in moderation at just the right times can be really cool (for example I thought the phasing in icecrown was awesome back in wrath, bc it wasn't something i saw everywhere), but when they're used all over the place from the word go, they kinda lose their punch.

Blizzard is still capable of really hooking me and so forth with story and questlines, but it's more IN SPITE of all the bells and whistles than BECAUSE of them.

@ilovecats Right?  Especially since given the old world content is GONE now, new players can't even play through it to feel like at least they know the story!

1 hour ago, ilovecats said:

@Lilaina

I was doing WoD quests a few weeks ago and Admiral Taylor (who? I always played Horde) said we've been through a lot, as if I played since Vanilla. Bitch, I only subbed three months ago!

That's a pretty good example. :D

Honestly, I prefer being a nameless, "blank slate" character, instead of an established hero who is buddies with every king and archmage and faction leader.

1 hour ago, machack said:

Yeah, I mean there definitely WAS overarching stories, but it was easy to just not pay attention if you didn't much care, rather than having everything all being shoved in your face via cutscenes and dramatic phasing and such.  Those things used in moderation at just the right times can be really cool (for example I thought the phasing in icecrown was awesome back in wrath, bc it wasn't something i saw everywhere), but when they're used all over the place from the word go, they kinda lose their punch.

Yeah, WotLK was a pretty good compromise between the old and new storytelling with Wrathgate and the Battle for Undercity being the pinnacle.

5 hours ago, ilovecats said:

Admiral Taylor

As an Alliance player, dunno. I guess he was in the forbidden water zone in cata and then he was in MoP and I guess that's supposed to be enough to make him famous in your mind. Then they killed him off because Blizzard.

@Lilaina Dunno either as I never really played Hurrrde, but there's a few quests detailing how the Forsaken are developing the new plague (yes, that one that eventually shows up in wotlk at Angrydoor and all over the place in Cata). And of course, Shady Rest Inn quest chain in Dustwallow. That one was available to both factions, but each had different ways of investigating the clues and ended up with a different amount of info on each of them.

Aside from these overarching, loosely connected questlines like the Brotherhood, I liked the one-offs here and there that didn't necessarily require you to bonk things on the head with sticks or be action-y.

For example, my all-time favourite in low human zones was the Stalvan series. It's mostly running around the Stormwind kingdom, reading diaries and finding out what happened of Stalvan, all the while the story being a homage to Lolita.

Or like that one quest in Thunder Bluff, where a forsaken sends you to her husband's grave, to return the pendant he gave her, because she resents him for going to war and getting himself killed, while she and their children were consumed by the plague, and wishes him to be forgotten forever. That one was something different altogether.

And when someone in vanilla sent you to gather ingredients for a weapon, you knew it's going to be suitably epic. For example the paladin hammer quest, or the relic that was used to defeat Morbent Fel. Or basically anything related to Gerrig Bonegrip and Theldurin the Lost (whose name I keep misspelling as Theld*ruin*).

Cata somehow managed to kill both of those types of quests, with the first being moved, from places you didn't necessarily go to, straight into the middle of your face. The latter because the quest objectives changed from being all around the world to being all around the outpost the quest was taken in.

Edited by Xaverius

Bienvenue!

Dwarf female :

• "I give myself a Dutch oven pedicure every night. I've got no foot fungus at all. My toes are pristine."

Can't wait to see you all in-game.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the forums in the meantime :P and i hope i see you in the HORDE side ^^ 

6 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Cata somehow managed to kill both of those types of quests, with the first being moved, from places you didn't necessarily go to, straight into the middle of your face. The latter because the quest objectives changed from being all around the world to being all around the outpost the quest was taken in.

Yes, yes this.  I always felt like I'd discovered some sort of secret when I came across a questgiver out in the middle of nowhere when I'd gotten lost on my way to somewhere else or trying to find more mobs to kill for a quest after someone else cleared out the close ones.  Even the ones that are kind of "out of the way" now are marked on the map so you know exactly where to go to get them.

3 hours ago, worldfu said:

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the forums in the meantime :P and i hope i see you in the HORDE side ^^ 

FOR THE ALLIANCE! :P 

(in all seriousness, I like Horde a lot, I just have never managed to get the hang of playing a shaman, and I really enjoy pallies.  If I get off my butt and finally devote some time to a shamwow and love it, you'll see me there, too. ;)