Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sandru

Respeccing cost

Hello guys! I've been a lurker on the forums since summer 2016. I got to relive my great wow experience with Nostalrius, but sadly I got in too late for the party. I've been playing on Elysium since release and to be honest, I'm having a blast there. That was until the latest PvP update where they are reducing respec costs down to 25g. I could go on and on for hours why I want the standard 50g, making you factor in pvp, pve and farming while choosing your spec. With lower respec cost people will just go with the cookie cutter raid build, cookie cutter farm build and cookie cutter pvp build. What I like about vanilla is that every action has it consequences, for better or for worse.

Crestfall, please be our saviour and show us the true vanilla experience!!

Edited by Sandru

I agree that custom respec costs are a bad thing. It's my understanding that respeccing will be true "blizz-like" on Crestfall. 

And that's what I thought Elysium would do too, but apparently they changed their mind about something so fundemental to the gameplay 6 months after release. I am so dissapointed.. But I believe the crestfall team will stay true to their words, and their cause. Will wait eagerly for the release now! 

Edited by Sandru

same here. 50g should be a load of money for everyone.

I don't really mind it being reduced to 25. It's still not for free. But keep in mind, that it's only changed on Elysium, not on Darrowshire and Anathema.

The last info we had from the devs was that 50g was staying, and that was that.

I'll try and remember to add it to the Q&A so we can get an up to date official response.

Yea people should wisely choose what they wanna do... pvp or pve specc.... i mean both are actually a big time consumer so.... giving free respecc is like changing the game. Suddenly everyone is pvp specced in battlegrounds... wow what difference between players.

inflation will happen naturally, so don't worry about it. Whereas the 50g cost will stay the same. I don't think it will be a problem for most players after 3-4 months tbh.

And then, it will be changed when BC is released iirc.

also devs have already said that the 50g respec cost is definitely staying

Common folks. Let's look at it with an open mind.

The high respec cost in vanilla, in my opinion, had two purposes: A) money sink, as raiders were sometimes spending 100g a week in respecs and B) to make players chose wisely their builds. Running often not one of those optimal specs for raiding, but rather a more versatile spec, capable of raiding, farming, PvPing and some talents just for the fun of it.

Now, let's discuss these two purposes in the case of a lowered respec cost.

Would lower respec costs mean less people will be running sub-optimal, jack-of-all-trades specs? Possibily, since more players could afford the respect cost and they would then actually switch builds more often. But now think about this. While it would be a pitty indeed that those amazingly interesting hybrid specs would become a rare sight, more players would actually be respeccing. Remember the main purpose of respec cost: it would now work better as a money sink, as many players who were finding the 100g prohibitive now feel more confortable doing it.

Now, for those 'rich' players, those who were respeccing for 100g a week, a lower respec will not change much their situation. The money sink purpose will continue to serve and they didn't ran hybrid specs anyway. These players usually are the so-called minmax 'hardcore' raiders and often have a lot of time to play weekly (to farm the gold and consumables). Note that these are not the majority.

So IMO a higher respec cost only makes players with less playing time run hybrid builds. The purpose of money sink continues to be there even if the respec cost is lower, as then more raiders feel comfortable with paying the weekly fees to compensate for the lower gold spent by 'rich' players.

I played a mage on K2 until AQ and I tell you. With respec cost of 5g, we were all respeccing often 10+ times per week. It brings also a new dimension of experimentation and freedom. Hell we were fine-tunning specs to run Strat Living and 4-man UBRS. Finding the perfect build for the each purpose is very fun (anyone remembers Guild Wars 1?? That game was purely finding the best build and tactics for each map:D)

Summing it up:

Pros: I think lower respec costs are only prohibitive for non-hardcore players. It would serve arguably even better as a money sink if the average player also respecs weekly. It allows for more freedom and experimentation, which is very fun.

Cons: Less 'blizzlike', whatever that means after 12 years of tactics, specs, itemization improvements. Less players running jack-of-all-trades specs.

I have many problems with the term blizzlike anyway. People scream for it without really knowing what they want. If they want all 'values' and 'parameters' of the game to be set up to those done by Blizzard 12 years ago, they they want 'small' servers, scarce resources in case of a high population server, and other blizzlike problems.

If they want a gaming experience similar to that one of 12 years ago, then they want resources abundance tunned to the server's head count, a feel of discovery and experimentation (boss tunning, lower respec cost, etc) and small but little improvements or bug fixes.

I go for the second one, a blizzlike EXPERIENCE instead of blizzlike 'values'. Lowering the respec cost only makes the game more fun for curious and experimenting players, as hardcore raiders were respeccing anyway and the money sink function continues to be fulfilled.

Edited by loeth
typo

You make a very interesting argument, Loeth, I see where you are coming from. But my counter argument would be that I don't want to add another dimenson to vanilla wow, I wanna re-experience the greatest game that has ever been made, as it was. I feel like it is a slippery slope to funserver tendencies, where will the QoL-improvements end? These will be impleneted slowly, but surely as the timeline continues towards the other expansions. So let's leave vanilla as it is :) 

Edited by Sandru

I was raised on the early MMO's, which had extremely costly respeccing. I always liked it, that when I made a choice about my character, it was very important and not something easily reversed. 

I prefer the high costs as it adds value to other parts of the game.  Having high costs in the game puts more value on professions, playing the AH, etc. Plus, it does put more emphasis on choosing a spec you will be using for longer time periods.  Plus, it isn't an insurmountable barrier.  50g can be gotten fairly quickly at high levels anyway.  I'd prefer it be kept as it was, but I understand both points of view.

Edit to say:  One thing I thought was cool about vanilla is that when you saw someone, you knew what they were.  What I mean is that if you saw "JohnPaul", a troll priest, you knew that hey, that guy is a shadow priest.  If you saw "Gandalf", you knew that she was a frost mage.  If you saw "weaksauce", you knew he was a ret pally.  I think it was cool to have identities that people got to know about because, especially early in the experience, people didn't want to spend the gold to respec and you knew what kind of a player 'xyz' was.  Just another thing I liked.

Edited by Veritch

On 7.6.2017 at 1:03 AM, Sandru said:

What I like about vanilla is that every action has it consequences, for better or for worse.

I remember the discussion about respecs being in WoW at all back in 2004. Most of my guild were avid role players, and they were seriously doubtful that anyone should be able to switch specs even within a class after you had committed to your skills. The reason they eventually went with respecs being tolerable was the ever-changing nature of an MMO: Who was to say that half a year into the game, the designers would not destroy a synergy in your build, and you need to be able to respec to regain it...

I committed to playing a holy priest in Vanilla back then. It came with consequences: I couldn't farm for shit (even the two felcloth every four days were a painful hour or two of SW:P+wanding the few satyrs the AoE-farming mages left), I never had any money, but getting a group for anything never was a problem. This is a part of Vanilla that now plays an active part of why I'm waiting for Crestfall: I want this "not everyone can do everything, and people rely on each other because of it" back. Reducing the respec cost would run counter to that, as it would enable everyone to switch into solo roles much more readily, and as such, aren't as interested in sociable play.

edit: So, in short: You have my vote for respec costs not being lowered.

Edited by Avila