Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hops

Deleting Inactive Accounts?

35 posts in this topic

We all know that private servers are hype machines so there will be thousands of people making accounts and reserving multiple names with Lvl. 1 characters then playing for a few days and quitting. Since private servers are free and relatively plentiful atm, there isn't much incentive to stick with your account if you get bored. This means that most of the "good" character names will be eaten up in the first few days/weeks and then be locked away permanently on dead accounts. So my question is: is it possible to automatically delete inactive accounts after a specified time limit and if so, would this be a possibility on Cresftall ? Deleting abandoned accounts would routinely put character names back into circulation allowing for newcomers and people making alts a little more freedom when naming their character.

I think it sounds like a good idea in theory, as long as there is a way to restrict to accounts with under a certain amount of playtime or with only characters under level 15 or something like that.  There will be some people that stop leveling at 19 to pvp, so you wouldn't want to catch those accounts. Anyone that has put in a lot of time on the server shouldn't come back a year later to find their account gone, especially given the progression of the servers through the expansions.

Maybe post this in the current Q&A thread too, we might get the answer in the next iteration. 

The threat of deleting accounts might just cause people to login every now and again to seem active, yet not really be active. And after one loses a cherished name or something like that, one might never return to the server, even if one might otherwise have done so.

Defining what accounts are reallyreallytruly dead would be tricky, and would require setting some parameters that people hopefully would know when signing up. 

Lol, if you want one of the "good" names, get online when the server goes live and create accounts like a madman.  At the same time, this would potentially break up people trying to reserve names to then sell to other people, which I'm not a particularly big fan of.

I'm guilty of reserving names and quitting, but I agree it's unhealthy for people to be reserving dozens of names only to be sold off or never used. But deleting accounts or unused level 1 characters isn't really the answer imo.

Blizzard already has a decent system for this: flag a character that hasn't logged in for 6 months as inactive, and if someone petitions the name to be freed up, the GMs check if it's inactive and then do that. The only problem with that is placing extra stress on the volunteer GMs that will undoubtedly already be tending to the huge line of petitions anyway.

Deleting accounts or leveled up characters for inactivity is not right.

Not even lvl1 inactive character is. I usually try to get "my" names, in the eventuality, one day, I wanna level them...I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

I would be quite pissed if one day, logging in, I find out my preferred char-name has been deleted from my account, just because I've been sick in a hospital for X months.

Original names, huh... Tough shit.

Come up with an original name, Legolaz. :P

rip lvl 1 bank characters :^)

22 minutes ago, Adalon said:

Come up with an original name, Legolaz. :P

Łëǵöłäš says hi!

I'm naming my character ' Hops '

DIBS

Lol, that's one thing I worry about on the forums. Pissing someone off and then I get on their "Take their username list".

1 hour ago, pvescrub said:

Łëǵöłäš says hi!

LOL!

Gotta love trying to whisper people with these kind of names.

Posted (edited)

That's a good idea, I'll post this to the Q&A later.

Let me re-iterate though, this wouldn't pertain to inactive characters, but inactive accounts or maybe a combination of both. If the user account: bob1234 doesn't log in for 4-6 months, any character under 15/20 will be deleted? or maybe delete the whole account? I know this adds a lot of extra work if it can't be automated, but its a thought.

People don't have the financial investment in private servers like they do retail accounts. Its common for people to create an account or two, make 8 characters to reserve names, then play for two weeks and never log in again (hell, I've done it myself). My thought process is that if that if an account has been inactive for X months, its abandoned and any 'reserved' user names should be returned to the public. Maybe make a exception if the account has a character at or over a certain level say, 40 or maybe even 60.

While playing on Nost/Elysium, I routinely add names that I wanted but were taken to see if they ever log in and the vast majority never do. I think that's silly and people with a sentimental connection to their character end up naming their character things like Hopps, Hoppps, Haawps, Hawhps, and etc. when the original name wasn't really in use in the first place.

Edited by Hops

Posted (edited)

[Deleted - Duplicate Post]

Edited by Hops

I used to play on a server where your account would be deleted if you haven't logged in for over 3 months. You got an email that it's going to happen soon. A simple solution.

1 hour ago, WaMpa said:

I'm naming my character ' Hops '

DIBS

Haha, have at it bud. Hopefully I can get in on day one and get my preferred names. I simply used this one just in case I ran into someone I knew on Kronos/Old Nost. (;

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, Hops said:

That's a good idea, I'll post this to the Q&A later.

Let me re-iterate though, this wouldn't pertain to inactive characters, but inactive accounts or maybe a combination of both. If the user account: bob1234 doesn't log in for 4-6 months, any character under 15/20 will be deleted? or maybe delete the whole account? I know this adds a lot of extra work if it can't be automated, but its a thought.

People don't have the financial investment in private servers like they do retail accounts. Its common for people to create an account or two, make 8 characters to reserve names, then play for two weeks and never log in again (hell, I've done it myself). My thought process is that if that if an account has been inactive for X months, its abandoned and any 'reserved' user names should be returned to the public. Maybe make a exception if the account has a character at or over a certain level say, 40 or maybe even 60.

While playing on Nost/Elysium, I routinely add names that I wanted but were taken to see if they ever log in and the vast majority never do. I think that's silly and people with a sentimental connection to their character end up naming their character things like Hopps, Hoppps, Haawps, Hawhps, and etc. when the original name wasn't really in use in the first place.

how about just all characters under level 5 get deleted if he doesn't have any characters above level 9 and all of his characters have a combined wealth that is less than 2g and the account has been offline for 1 year

the deletions would be for either every character on the account or not at all

Edited by Aquane

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Aquane said:

the deletion would be either account-wide or not at all

Sure, I'm okay with that too. Any account that doesn't log in within 2-3 months should get an automated e-mail (like ilovecats mentioned) and after maybe 3-4 months of inactivity, the account should be deleted. I'm just spitballing here. If the general consensus is that its not a big deal, then so be it. Its just a thought.

Edited by Hops

1 hour ago, Hops said:

Sure, I'm okay with that too. Any account that doesn't log in within 2-3 months should get an automated e-mail (like ilovecats mentioned) and after maybe 3-4 months of inactivity, the account should be deleted. I'm just spitballing here. If the general consensus is that its not a big deal, then so be it. Its just a thought.

1 hour ago, Hops said:

With this being a progression server you are going to have people who get tired of playing but want to come back when progression happens. I'm not in favor of deleting characters for inactivity only, but if an account hasnt been played in forever with all characters are under level 20 then go ahead and delete them. 

In reality just make a character a different name, its not that big of deal.

I can see the dilemma, and I hate it aswell, but as a lot have mentioned above: this is progression. Which means its a completely different scenario than the rest of the private servers.

Therefore I think a more delicate solution should be found, rather than a harsh one with deleting characters.

People should instead get a warning: Someone have tried to use your name xxxxxx and since you haven't logged on in the last xx months, you now have 2 weeks to reclaim your name, otherwise you must rename your character upon next login.

6 minutes ago, Azaghan said:

I can see the dilemma, and I hate it aswell, but as a lot have mentioned above: this is progression. Which means its a completely different scenario than the rest of the private servers.

Therefore I think a more delicate solution should be found, rather than a harsh one with deleting characters.

People should instead get a warning: Someone have tried to use your name xxxxxx and since you haven't logged on in the last xx months, you now have 2 weeks to reclaim your name, otherwise you must rename your character upon next login.

I like it, problem solved.  Except hiw do they get the warning?  How would Crestfall know how to contact you?

1 hour ago, Azaghan said:

I must say I like this idea more than just deleting stuff. IF it can be done (easily enough). 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Azaghan said:

Remember, this is work and time for developers. As some of you said, this is going to be a PTE server. In my opinion, reserving a name and forgetting about the char until the next expansion, is lame and should be avoided. I think we can have a simpler solution:

- If you don't log in into your account in 6 months, your chars below lvl 10 will be shadow deleted, you won't see them again in character screen if you log in after that, but your chars will be intact on the server db.

- The name of those chars will be available for new chars.

- If you want your characters back you wll have to ask for them, and you will have to name them again (through asking someone on the CF team).

Rremember that progression is expected to happen in about eighteen months since the previous one / launch, give it or take it; so a time gap of six months in order to "delete" a char is more than enough. Logging into your account in six months is not an impossible task, if you really want those char names you will keep them. And if you don't you won't loose your chars at least. With this system:

- You don't lose any chars.

- You only loose their names if they are below lvl 10 and you don't play the game in 6 months, fair enough IMO.

- You can rename your char, meaning that if nobody gets the name you still have a change to keep your name.

- People that really wants a name but has been slower getting it have a change to get it.

- It seems a simpler solution to develop and maintain.

Edit: Btw, this is meat for feedback & suggestions thread.

Edited by HarTstaRx

On 16/06/2017 at 0:30 PM, Hops said:

We all know that private servers are hype machines so there will be thousands of people making accounts and reserving multiple names with Lvl. 1 characters then playing for a few days and quitting. Since private servers are free and relatively plentiful atm, there isn't much incentive to stick with your account if you get bored. This means that most of the "good" character names will be eaten up in the first few days/weeks and then be locked away permanently on dead accounts. So my question is: is it possible to automatically delete inactive accounts after a specified time limit and if so, would this be a possibility on Cresftall ? Deleting abandoned accounts would routinely put character names back into circulation allowing for newcomers and people making alts a little more freedom when naming their character.

I think its a good idea provided that an email is sent warning the player that the account/characters are about to be deleted.