Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lilaina

Kil'jaeden cinematic

42 posts in this topic

Yea, but the armor skins are terrible. Like, even worse than cata-onwards. Still better than TERA I guess.

5 hours ago, Xaverius said:

Yea, but the armor skins are terrible. Like, even worse than cata-onwards. Still better than TERA I guess.

We're looking at playing vanilla, we clearly don't know what good graphics are.

9 hours ago, myrnym said:

We're looking at playing vanilla, we clearly don't know what good graphics are.

This handsome man begs to differ.

VarienWrynnKingofStormwind.jpg

2 hours ago, Planks said:

jc kill it with fire

6 hours ago, Planks said:

What is this monstrosity?! How come he had a beard back then? A robe bottom? What the... This must be some sort of a custom RP server awful cosplay.

48 minutes ago, ilovecats said:

What is this monstrosity?! How come he had a beard back then? A robe bottom? What the... This must be some sort of a custom RP server awful cosplay.

Haha, nope, 100% legit.Blizz back then just didnt knew what to do with him.I read he was replaced with naga warlord at ....1.9?

2 hours ago, ilovecats said:

Looks better than most of the combinations of leveling greens in Outlands tbh. I'm also not a fan of the anime hair and the psycho stare of the new Varian model. :P

51 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

Looks better than most of the combinations of leveling greens in Outlands tbh. I'm also not a fan of the anime hair and the psycho stare of the new Varian model. :P

Man... i'd give it all up to hear my shaman friend constantly bitch about his attire while leveling through outlands again. They are so bad, that they've become awesome over time. If crestfall ever makes it to transmog, i'm so mixing/matching outlands greens. 

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Planks said:

Ah, the good old times when I didn't want to murder him based on how much of an idiot he is.
I liked him.

8 hours ago, Sallerius said:

Blizz back then just didnt knew what to do with him.

The Missing Diplomat quest chain begs to differ.

Edited by Xaverius

3 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

The Missing Diplomat quest chain begs to differ.

Isnt Miss Diplomat chain finished in TBC?

7 hours ago, Ugondiss said:

outlands

IT'S OUTLAND. I'M GONNA START SAYING DRAENORS AND AZEROTHS AND KALIMDORS I SWEAR.

I'd argue that as far as storytelling in game goes it is miles better nowadays. Every Legion zone had it's own interesting story with some well fleshed-out characters and (at times) brilliant voice acting. And the nightfallen campaign in Suramar is just hands down best thing they have ever done story wise in game and nothing in vanilla-cata even comes close to it. I do agree that lore OVERALL has gone rather cheesy but hey, with all the books, comics and expansions perhaps it is to be expected.

As for where the story will be taken after the journey to Argus, there are lots of hints towards an old god invasion. The most convincing one to me was what Malfurion says after you defeat Il'gynoth in Emerald Nightmare: "No doubt Xavius and his ancient master delight that so much of our attention goes into fighting the Legion. Their insidious shadow seeps into our world, distracting us with whispers and doubts. I pray that purging the Nightmare's corruption buys us enough time to defeat the Legion and catch our breath before the black armies rise up from the depths." Nobbel had a cool video made about it that you can check out if you're interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ETu0ZDlWOo&t=3s

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Xaverius said:

I'M GONNA START SAYING DRAENORS AND AZEROTHS AND KALIMDORS I SWEAR.

That would be for the best, yes. WoD happened and we now have alternative dimensions with countless versions of the same places and things and people. So using plural is more accurate lore wise. :P

Burning Legion is the exception to this rule of course cuz they exist in all timelines and dimensions simultaneously. 9_9

11 hours ago, Alver said:

I'd argue that as far as storytelling in game goes it is miles better nowadays. Every Legion zone had it's own interesting story with some well fleshed-out characters and (at times) brilliant voice acting. And the nightfallen campaign in Suramar is just hands down best thing they have ever done story wise in game and nothing in vanilla-cata even comes close to it. I do agree that lore OVERALL has gone rather cheesy but hey, with all the books, comics and expansions perhaps it is to be expected.

My main gripe is that they turned the game into a singleplayer experience where the player is the chosen one super awesome hero that is friends with all the cool people. They try to mimic singleplayer RPGs while twisting the lore to suit this new approach. This just doesn't work in an MMORPG because there are other players. Lore on the other hand can be very good in an MMORPG, and it used to be in WoW too. Ironically, singleplayer RPGs are currently also trying to implement MMO:ish stuff like leveled zones, big open worlds, and fetch quests (see Dragon Age: Inquisition). Why can't modern RPGs stick to their strengths instead of trying to copy what others are doing? :P

Edited by Lilaina

3 hours ago, Lilaina said:

My main gripe is that they turned the game into a singleplayer experience where the player is the chosen one super awesome hero that is friends with all the cool people. They try to mimic singleplayer RPGs while twisting the lore to suit this new approach. This just doesn't work in an MMORPG because there are other players. Lore on the other hand can be very good in an MMORPG, and it used to be in WoW too. Ironically, singleplayer RPGs are currently also trying to implement MMO:ish stuff like leveled zones, big open worlds, and fetch quests (see Dragon Age: Inquisition). Why can't modern RPGs stick to their strengths instead of trying to copy what others are doing? :P

I agree with you there, I've learnt to ignore it as months went by but it was still strange to be the 'head' of your class order and seeing 50 other 'heads' running around in same space with same 'legendary' weapon. And yes, it's hard to tell a single-player type of story in an mmo. It is always rather strange when you're following a questline, get a quest to kill one of the main enemy guys only to find his corpse at the location and a dialogue between npcs play out that got triggered by his death, then wait for him to respawn and kill him again because you didn't get quest credit.

However, when they combine the mmo experience with a storyline it can turn into something pretty awesome. Broken shore scenario was a great intro for the expansion and it was designed to be done with 40 (might be wrong on the exact number, it was a large group though) players from each faction fighting alongside. The pacing was great, the cutscene at the end was epic, it was made in a way so you only do it once and it had actual changes on the game world after you were done with it. Another great example is 'Return to Karazhan' dungeon (rework of the original, some parts are very familiar but the second half of it was completely new) that had some amazing lore in it with some key points unraveling and big characters reappearing while designed to be done in a 5 man group.

I think it is much easier to tell a story through a single player game, but I really appreciate Blizzard's efforts to put it in an mmo. At times it feels a bit off, but when they combine the multiplayer experience with storytelling some pretty great results tend to come out.

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Lilaina said:

Why can't modern RPGs stick to their strengths instead of trying to copy what others are doing?

Interestingly, as the entropy in videogames increases (more companies, more technically possible feats, more features to choose from), the more homogenous the games end up being.

Mostly it's because of money. "Hey, this other game is doing things and people buy it, let's do things too!" That's why most AAA games these days are open-world-sandbox-crafting-achievement-collectible-tower sewage spillage. That's why everyone and their grandma is making zombie survival in early access :v. Everyone copying features from successful games, if they have the feeling something's missing.

In Blizzard's case, it was the lack of focused story, so they tried to add some depth, at first very lightly in wotlk, then a bit harder in cata onwards, and then went total hardcore mode in Legion.
The problem is, wow started back in the day when MMOs still were all about that "wow, I can actually play with other living people I don't know" factor.
Arguably, it might've been that one game that ended the era, because due to its success, everyone tried to copy it. And it took them years to start doing something even remotely different. And then wow changed gears in Cata, and all the copies that had a chance until that point fell laughably behind. Only then it was that other companies realized they better do their own thing. And hey, then we got things like SWTOR, which, as long as we are talking about the story, tried really hard to make a worthwhile game.

Of course, you might voice your doubts, SWTOR got destroyed by the business model, and, being a mmo, the "roleplay" choices didn't really matter except for flavour, because at the end of the day, you gotta end up in the raid somehow.
I suppose the lack of meaningful choices is a problem with RPGs in general these days. Some are slightly better, some are sligthly worse about it. Some are ineffective modern-bioware spectrum of choices from "play it as they wanted you to" to "be an asshole but ultimately do the right thing anyway" (perhaps amusingly, bioware is one of the companies that does it right many times, at least as right as you can go while constrained by three dialogue choices, with noticeable consequences - but others definitely took this choice style from Mass Effect and ran with them, losing all the manuals and related parts). But that's a whole different topic. I did go on about that long enough.

It's a funny thing, this whole story-based MMO concept, isn't it. Maybe I'm cut from some old cloth, but massively, multiplayer, and online game to boot sounds like something that might center about the fact there is a massive number of online people in a multiplayer together (which is exactly what Chronicles of Elyria is, a return to this player-centered world that Ultima for example had, so I hope they won't fuck it up). But maybe I'm just senile like that and don't understand the hip youth.

After all, in a time when even singleplayer games require constant internet connection, why not have a mmo that focuses on a singleplayer story centered around the player character and only minding the hosts of other players in separate instances (quite literally).

So we end up with singleplayer that's always online and with online singleplayer. It's neither a potato nor a tomato. It's some questionable ungodly potatomato.
As you can see, the homogenization strikes again. Entropy really doesn't like to be stuffed into clearly-cut holes that make sense.

Edited by Xaverius

On 6/21/2017 at 2:55 AM, ilovecats said:

The players never kill the baddies, they just teleport away with 1hp left...

They can't let players kill the biggest villains because what is Blizzard going to reuse yet again in next expansions?

haha.. well said. :)

My favorite comment from youtube lool

-> ''Well, shit ''- Everyone standing in Goldshire <-