Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bicyclemann

LvLing on release, duo vs trio vs solo?

26 posts in this topic

Hello everyone excuse the wall of text.

My brother and I can't wait to be apart of Crestfall. We want to take the race to 60 somewhat serious but nothing unhealthy like no sleep for 1-3 days at a time but more serious than casual something like take off from work for a day or two or play for long hours consistently for 2 weeks. Recently we have been debating and theory crafting the opinion on whether the most effecient way to level during a fresh server is to solo lvl or duo lvl (possibly with a friend to form a trio) also we have been wondering whether we should lvl 1-30 from grind/questing then from 30-60 mainly only grinding. OR quest/grinding in between points A & B from 1-60 entirely as long as quests are available and easy. My brother will be making a warrior and I will be making a feral druid with mostly resto gear to mainly heal the warrior and provide extra dps as a hybrid in cat or bear form with dots. We also plan on leveling and sharing a single character together (as long as this is within the TOS and is not bannable) for when one of us is not home. We will be testing this method out on Elysium a few times and will try to keep this post updated. But we are wondering the opinions of others on these methods. So i guess our question is - is partner leveling just as good or possibly better if you have a pocket healed warrior tearing through the grinding zones or is solo lvling like a full days played time faster? Anyone have experience or insight on this subject?

I don't know the answer to your question, but what I can say is that you should probably skip the starting area, assuming it's packed. You should make a B-line to the near by level 5-6 mobs just outside the starting area and grind those to start of with. It's also worth noting you get bonus XP from mobs when you're in a group, here are the group modifiers:

1 person group = 1.0
2 person group = 1.0
3 person group = 1.166
4 person group = 1.3
5 person group = 1.4

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

I don't think pure grinding is the way to go. I may be wrong, but I believe a combination of selective questing and grinding is the optimal way to level. The issue with questing at release is competition, but it sounds like you'll play enough to stay ahead of the curve so some questing would be worthwhile.

Since you're willing to test things and such, it would be worthwhile to test out some of the quest guide addons available. I think it is also worthwhile to research beforehand what quests you want to complete to get the gear that you need. 

I like your plan. As a feral druid, you'll be able to add dps without using mana, allowing you to then use your mana solely for healing.

And based on @Pvt_8Ball's post, you would want more than 2 people. My thinking with a 3 person group is though that if 3 why not 4? You get a better XP modifier and open up the option to easily run dungeons by just picking up 1 other person. Dungeons aren't the fastest way to level, but some of them can be worth doing if you have the quests and get some decent drops. Plus dungeons help breakup the cycle of questing and grinding.

On 23.6.2017 at 8:11 AM, Pvt_8Ball said:

I don't know the answer to your question, but what I can say is that you should probably skip the starting area, assuming it's packed. You should make a B-line to the near by level 5-6 mobs just outside the starting area and grind those to start of with. It's also worth noting you get bonus XP from mobs when you're in a group, here are the group modifiers:

1 person group = 1.0
2 person group = 1.0
3 person group = 1.166
4 person group = 1.3
5 person group = 1.4

How does it work with bonus XP? If im in a full grp. we get 140XP instead of 100 (example) and then the 140XP get divided by 5, so 28XP for everyone?

Edited by bampie

2 hours ago, bampie said:

How does it work with bonus XP? If im in a full grp. we get 140XP instead of 100 (example) and then the 140XP get divided by 5, so 28XP for everyone?

Yup, it's devided. The main problem about leveling as 2+ players is about "quest require level" - so you have to grind mobs A LOT (which especially sux for low clvl characters).
It's also sux coz low level zones on new servers are overpopulated.

Levelling as a group is only useful if you manage to pull/kill a lot faster than while being solo. 2man group on release works pretty solid but anything above that will just slow you down.

the starting zones will be so populated on release that you wouldn't be able to pull so much mobs that it would justify bigger groups.

Race might also be an important factor. F.e. Being in a group in teldrasil/Mulgore is more viable than being in elwynn/durotar.

Focus on kill quests and avoid quests that requires moderate amounts of collecting. If all you do is grinding you will have a bad time, repeatedly.

Play like an Ant. Swarm all places and kill everything in your way. Grinding/ Questing/ Dungeons, i would do it all, because for me personaly, thats what vanilla is all about. I like your setup with Warrior/ Druid, but add another RL Friend, force him to play Mage. :)

CC,  free Food/ Water and free Portals to quickly travel around the World.

Good luck :)

Edited by Biohazard

Me personally i'll go solo as a Tauren Druid, i love leveling as a feral been doing it since Nostalrius, not alot of down time since you're not going to use mana(unless you like to level as Boomkin) as a feral cat druid during leveling.
I normally take like 2-3 weeks of RL time(around 6-10 days of game time) to reach level 60.
I level up my char, my proffs and whatever i can do either being for fun or to max it out tho.

Its alot of fun, also i don't skip quests i enjoy clearing each zone, plus you'll get the full intended exp out of that zone so you won't need to grind alot to reach that new zone quest level requirements.

Edited by ClawzTheMeow

I feel like grouping up before deadmines isnt very effective bar for quests like hogger etc.

especially on a fresh server wheremost mobs will be contested you want to get the most xp out of every tag

Edited by Marbo

4 hours ago, Marbo said:

I feel like grouping up before deadmines isnt very effective bar for quests like hogger etc.

especially on a fresh server wheremost mobs will be contested you want to get the most xp out of every tag

If you are a meele you might want to group with a ranged to Tag mobs easier.

Im still gonna go with the idea of exploring map to gain XP from 1-4 or 5 howmuch i can do and start in goldshire right away when hitting 5 or grinding in elwyn forest. Can only recommend that or ur gonna sit in starting zone for half the day :D

Thanks to the youtuber that showed that one video about leveling by exploring maps, i cant remember though...

Edited by Brikot

If you level by questing solo, there will be always quests that will grey out for all level ranges. If you would visit all zones, there are more quests than needed in total, given you would do them all. Leveling as duo of course split the exp from kills but those extra quests that normally grey out make up for it.

The experience as duo is pretty nice, since you get to visit all leveling zones and do almost all quests available. Of course you suffer less from ganking and it's easier to organize dungeon groups. I've done it once and can only recommend it. The 'downside' is only that both have to patient and sync the play times. If only one is online it's best to play an alt instead of doing stuff ahead.

Edit: the warrior will be very happy to have a leveling buddy, as solo warrior leveling can be tough. Any partner will do good. A ranged DPS or hybrid healer would be best of course. There are some leveling tricks as warrior if you have a mate, such as go prot until you get improved revenge. The stun from improved revenge combined with the prot talents you get up to that point will make you beefy and take little to no damage per mob. The partner can DPS freely and very little downtime for regen is needed.

Most people will say leveling war as prot is totally stupid, but the improved revenge and the few prot points will get your downtime to zero and will make dungeon tanking fun and super easy.

Edited by loeth

11 hours ago, loeth said:

If you level by questing solo, there will be always quests that will grey out for all level ranges. If you would visit all zones, there are more quests than needed in total, given you would do them all. Leveling as duo of course split the exp from kills but those extra quests that normally grey out make up for it.

The experience as duo is pretty nice, since you get to visit all leveling zones and do almost all quests available. Of course you suffer less from ganking and it's easier to organize dungeon groups. I've done it once and can only recommend it. The 'downside' is only that both have to patient and sync the play times. If only one is online it's best to play an alt instead of doing stuff ahead.

Edit: the warrior will be very happy to have a leveling buddy, as solo warrior leveling can be tough. Any partner will do good. A ranged DPS or hybrid healer would be best of course. There are some leveling tricks as warrior if you have a mate, such as go prot until you get improved revenge. The stun from improved revenge combined with the prot talents you get up to that point will make you beefy and take little to no damage per mob. The partner can DPS freely and very little downtime for regen is needed.

Most people will say leveling war as prot is totally stupid, but the improved revenge and the few prot points will get your downtime to zero and will make dungeon tanking fun and super easy.

I actually never had a prot warior leveling partner, i'm feeling tempted to try it in Crestfall.
:o

On 6/22/2017 at 11:11 PM, Pvt_8Ball said:

1 person group = 1.0
2 person group = 1.0
3 person group = 1.166
4 person group = 1.3
5 person group = 1.4

Huh. I never knew any of that. I thought XP was the same or being wasted when grouping. TIL

21 minutes ago, HijacK said:

Huh. I never knew any of that. I thought XP was the same or being wasted when grouping. TIL

Glad I could help, another tidbit you might not know, is that the group bonus XP is displayed when you have xp gains enabled in chat, however, private servers rarely have it coded, you still get more XP, just isn't displayed like it should be. 

QgOZ9n5.png

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

Imo any XP penalty (technically there is a bonus, but XP is still split between all party members participating in a kill) is still outweighted by having means to tag anything you need before anyone else, especially on a fresh server. Duo questing is probably the most optimal thing in terms of XP/difficulty/management ratio.

By the way, how legit/profitable in terms of leveling is to dash to STV arena as soon as you roll a character as the server opens and spend a day there just grinding Arena Grand Master (as well as an obscene amount of blues/potions)?

1 hour ago, n-ghost said:

By the way, how legit/profitable in terms of leveling is to dash to STV arena as soon as you roll a character as the server opens and spend a day there just grinding Arena Grand Master (as well as an obscene amount of blues/potions)?

Well arena was introduced with Mara in patch 1.2. I don't know if these will be available during release date. If yes, be sure that some other folks will also be very interested in an easy chance to obtain the almighty AGM. I guess some level <5 PvP brawls are to be expected there :-P

I've tried to level during 2 server launches and both times were super annoying. My plan for future launches is to either wait a couple of days or run around the world picking up flight masters and exploration XP.

2 hours ago, n-ghost said:

I'm not sure but wasn't the Gurubashi arena added in a later patch?

edit.

@loeth was faster ¬¬

Edited by Lilaina

1 hour ago, n-ghost said:

Probably worth noting servers in the past have banned players for that sort of behaviour.

On 18.7.2017 at 2:54 PM, Brikot said:

Im still gonna go with the idea of exploring map to gain XP from 1-4 or 5 howmuch i can do and start in goldshire right away when hitting 5 or grinding in elwyn forest. Can only recommend that or ur gonna sit in starting zone for half the day :D

Thanks to the youtuber that showed that one video about leveling by exploring maps, i cant remember though...

I am not sure if this is really that faster tbh. 

50 minutes ago, Budge said:

I am not sure if this is really that faster tbh. 

It is alot faster than waiting for hours at the starting area for everyone to do the first quests of the starting area Hub

1 hour ago, Pvt_8Ball said:

Probably worth noting servers in the past have banned players for that sort of behaviour.

woah why would people get banned for this ? BTw maybe the arena event is not enabled with the release :(

38 minutes ago, Brikot said:

woah why would people get banned for this ? BTw maybe the arena event is not enabled with the release :(

It's kinda exploitative I guess, the players I was referring to were actually looting world chests on server launch, which is obviously a similar idea.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball