Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Veritch

Guessing the open Beta and launch date

Posted (edited)

So based off of Asura's last post, the plan is still a 2017 release date.  I thought we could have some collective fun in the months leading up to the open beta and ultimately, the launch.

Whats this all about?

Its about guessing the open-beta and launch dates for an in-game reward for whoever gets one or both dates right.

How does it work?

You guess two different dates, one for the open-beta and one for the actual launch.  If the date you pick is the correct date or are the closest to it, you will win the prize.

So what is the prize?

The prize is the sum of money based off of how many people participate. Each date costs 25s of in game currency to place.  You must pick both an open-beta AND a launch date.  Separate prize pools are awarded for each date.  So you can win the open-beta pick, the launch pick, or both!  For example, 70 people each pick their dates, that's 50s per person, 25s per date, so 35g on the line total.  Each date has 17g 50s awarded to the winner(s). You pick the correct date or be closest to the correct date, and I will coordinate you receiving that money in the game after launch.

Can I pick as many dates as I want?

No.  At minimum you must pick 2 dates, one for open-beta and one for launch so each participant is wagering at minimum 50s.  There must be a maximum limit on picks otherwise you could just pick every date available and win.  I am setting the maximum at 3 pairs of dates (3 open-beta and 3 launch).

Can I pick a date already chosen?

Yes, you can pick whatever date you choose up until it has been chosen 3 times.  The award will be split among all who have picked that date. There will be a first mover advantage, however.  The first person to have chosen that date will get a larger portion of the winnings.  The second will receive more than the third.  Splits will be 60/40 for a 2 person date and a 50/30/20 for a 3 person date. This is to protect the early adopters from having their pick "diluted" by people who may come later and pick their dates.  The dilution isn't so severe to dissuade someone from picking that date if they have a strong feeling (40% vs 50% of prize). 

Can anybody participate?

No. Obviously we can't take cross realm picks. All players MUST be participating in the Zul' Dare PvE realm.  Alliance or horde doesn't matter.  We can receive payments through the SV auction house so we can combine the prize pool for the whole server.  I will volunteer to collect and disperse payments on the horde side of the game and would look for 1 volunteer to collect from the alliance side.  If nobody volunteers, I can make an alt to collect the money and see to it the proper winner receives payment.  

In addition, no insider trading will be allowed. This means that those in direct affiliation with the developers (and the developers themselves obviously) can not participate.  Basically, anybody with a special tag under their name.  Sorry guys, this must be legit :)

How do I play?

To make a pick, you must format it a specific way so it is clear to everyone. There is a special prize for both dates being picked by the same person explained below so this is important in order to avoid confusion.  I recommend copying and pasting this format.  For the sake of confusion and fairness, picks not in this format will be up to my discretion to determine your meaning.  I will try and clarify via PM with you. All dates are based off of GMT+2 time zone. For North American players, this means that if launch is at 6:00 pm September 6th Central time for you, launch was really September 7th, 1:00 am GMT+2 and thus, the official launch date will be September 7th.

Example 1. One pick

B--> June 23, 17   L--> October 13, 17

Example 2. Three picks

B--> June 23, 17   L--> October 13, 17

B--> July 4, 17   L--> November 28, 17

B--> August 16, 17   L--> December 31, 17

B is for Beta and L is for launch. In order to win the Grand Prize explained below, only the pairs listed together count towards that prize.  

All right all right, what's the Grand Prize?

If someone picks both the correct beta and launch dates with the same pair of dates, they will win both prizes regardless of whether or not other people have picked those dates.  In Example 2 above, if open beta began on July 4th and launch was November 28th, that would win the Grand Prize and that person would win everything even if other people had selected those dates.  If open beta began on July 4th but launch happened on December 31, that would NOT win the Grand Prize, but that person would win his/her share of the winnings depending on how many other people chose those dates and where they were in the selection order (1st to choose that date or 2nd or 3rd).  In the event two or more people win the grand prize, payment will be broken down in the same percentages listed above based on who picked first.

When would I get my winnings?!?!

I will do my best to collect all the money and disperse payment before you hit level 40.  I think the reward would mean more if you could put it towards your first mount.  So that being said, I would want payment from everyone who placed a wager by the time they reach level 30.  Since nobody can wager more than 1g 50s, this shouldn't be an issue for anyone to pay up. Payment will not be accepted in the form of materials, only in game currency!! Obviously, people level at different rates and if you are one of the first to hit level 40, I cant guarantee you will receive payment by then, but I will do my best to get you your winnings by then. I can not guarantee people will honor their commitment and I am not responsible for covering any unpaid obligations by other players.  With that being said, on a smaller server reputation is important and if you can't be relied upon to honor a 50s commitment (that is equivalent to a stack of linen cloth............linen cloth) it will likely not be a server you will thrive in anyway.

Any other rules?

Once a pick is made and posted on this forum and recorded by me, it is final and can NOT be changed.  I will run a spreadsheet that lists the user name listed, the picks they made, and the date/time the pick was made which I will make public at the end of this post.  Once I have it in my spreadsheet it is in the books.  Again, for fairness and honesty, any post that has been marked as "edited" by the time I see it and record it will NOT be valid and I will message you to notify you that your pick was NOT accepted UNLESS no other pick has been made by any other player that conflicts with your picks by the time I see and record your pick.  If I record the pick and later it is edited, the dates I have listed for you in my spreadsheet listed at the end of this post are the official dates for you.  Let's all be adults here and not try and cheat.  Its supposed to be fun!

How long do I have to make my picks??

Picks will be taken up until July 31st, 2017 11:59 pm GMT +2.  For those in North America like myself, that is equivalent to 4:59 pm Central time. Any picks made after this will not count. If open beta launches before then, the Beta portion of this bet is void.  If the open-beta date is announced before then for a date after July 31st, the beta portion of this will be awarded based on picks before the announcement was made and as long as minimum total pot values are reached and the beta actually opens on that date, the award will always go to the closest pick of the ACTUAL beta or launch date, not the announced date. No dates may be chosen before August 1st, 2017 for this reason.  August 1st, 2017 is the first date possible that can be chosen.  There is no limit on how far into the future you can guess. 

One Final Point

If there isn't enough interest by the time August 1st rolls around, I'll just cancel the whole thing and delete the thread. I think at least 10g total being on the line would be the minimum to make this game live.  So that is 20 total pairs of dates being picked.  If nobody picks the correct date, the closest person to the correct date will win.  If two or more people are equally close (based on date of launch, not by the hour) it will be split equally among those players.  @Bluemoon has made a binding verbal commitment to MATCH the total prize pool assuming a 75% payment rate by participating players.   What this means is that if 20 people make picks, and 15 honor this commitment, the pot doubles. Everybody should personally thank our personal sugar daddy @Bluemoon

Good luck! Picking of dates is now open!!   The list of dates already chosen is in the spreadsheet below here so you don't have to go through every post to see them.

Cresfall B&L.xlsx

Edited by Veritch

For fairness, I will not make my selections for 2 weeks (July 7th). This way I dont get first stab at picking the dates I want to guess :)

There's no way even 1/4 of people would follow through with this. 

39 minutes ago, Bluemoon said:

There's no way even 1/4 of people would follow through with this. 

Pssshhhhtttt. This is the pve side sir. You're to used to all those ego filled gankers over on the higher pop side of things. We're the friendly ones. I pay/play. 

B- September 18

R- November 6. 

Ha! I'll take the wager up a notch. If this gains enough traction and >75% of players follow through it, I'll go to the PvE server, buy an amount of gold from Whitekidney that's equivalent to the winnings, and match the total amount myself. 

Posted (edited)

My suggestions:

I'd erase the first mover advantage from ruleset. If you have a strong feeling of a date but someone already took it then it discourages you to pick that date even though your instinct tells you to. That's not how real life lottery works either. I just don't think it's something that makes this game better.

I wouldn't make December 31st 2017 the last date to pick, despite that fact that the current plan is 2017 release. Some might still want to place their bets on early 2018.

My question:

Neutral Auction Houses have a 15% cut. Who will pay the money that's lost during the transfer? Or will you just receive less prize money from the opposite faction?

Edited by Clavus

2 hours ago, Bluemoon said:

Ha! I'll take the wager up a notch. If this gains enough traction and >75% of players follow through it, I'll go to the PvE server, buy an amount of gold from Whitekidney that's equivalent to the winnings, and match the total amount myself. 

Like you'd ever belittle yourself and  roll on the good side...

Posted (edited)

@Bluemoon, thanks for your contributions!  Its nice to know the prize pool just doubled.  Honestly, I think people will pay in the end.  First off, its 50s we are talking about here, I mean wtf lol (I guess for you it could be more)  50.........silver.  2nd, like Ugondiss said, its the PvE side, reputation means something. Did I mention its only 50 silver?  3rd, why would you try so hard to not pay?  IT'S 50 SILVER!.  If this was 50g a bet, yeah I see people maybe not paying. But losing people's respect for 50s......to me its like making a $1 in real life and not paying when you lose, lol, who the **** doesn't pay? Its a dollar.......a dollar........lol

Edited by Veritch

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Clavus said:

My suggestions:

I'd erase the first mover advantage from ruleset. If you have a strong feeling of a date but someone already took it then it discourages you to pick that date even though your instinct tells you to. That's not how real life lottery works either. I just don't think it's something that makes this game better.

I wouldn't make December 31st 2017 the last date to pick, despite that fact that the current plan is 2017 release. Some might still want to place their bets on early 2018.

My question:

Neutral Auction Houses have a 15% cut. Who will pay the money that's lost during the transfer? Or will you just receive less prize money from the opposite faction?

Regarding the first mover, Id rather have people who already made picks be protected. I hear what you are saying and I thought about it, but if your gut is so strong about a date you should still pick it.  40% vs 50% isn't enough of a difference to justify not picking imo, especially if your feeling is that strong, but people may not have made that pick in the first place if someone was already there.  This way, if that happens, at least the consolation is the lion's share of the winnings.  Otherwise, pick a date close to that one.  This isn't the lottery and isn't meant to be.  

I even thought about extending it past 2017 when I was doing it.  I thought that would be more disappointing than this bet being void but sure, but I'll take you up on that idea.  Plus, it may motivate people to just pick one more date later than the latest pick so far because if no correct date is chosen, the closest to the correct date wins.  Fair enough. Its now open to dates past December 31st, 2017. #Imreasonable

Regarding the 15%, I didn't think of that.  I haven't played vanilla wow since 2005 (or any wow game since 2007) and honestly I just don't remember that.  Maybe I'll cover it, maybe it just gets lost.  Lets see how big this gets (or doesn't).

Something I thought about was that the open beta announcement will drive a lot of traffic here, I may at some point open it up for Launch only picks (at 50s per pick, a 25s premium) after open beta begins to drive up the pool a bit, but I'm not sure.  We'll see what this looks like come August.

Every time I come and collect the picks, I'll upload the master list here for people to see.  I'll try and get this in a calendar format at some point.

Edited by Veritch

Open Beta will release on [redacted].

Server will release on [redacted].

4 hours ago, Elicas said:

I'm changing mine to whatever he says. 

10 hours ago, Elicas said:

Dirty.....I like it

8 hours ago, Adalon said:

This isn't about CoreCraft though.. ¬¬

Posted (edited)

On 24. 6. 2017 at 5:28 PM, Veritch said:

a dollar

That's still the bus fare from work to home. I'm not walking those 15 kilometers!

On 26. 6. 2017 at 10:34 AM, pvescrub said:

This isn't about CoreCraft though.. ¬¬

9077sT4.png

Edited by Xaverius

11 hours ago, Xaverius said:

That's still the bus fare from work to home. I'm not walking those 15 kilometers!

9077sT4.png

Should change the label on the fat police to something else. r/wowservers doesn't care about CF anymore. It's all about TBC now. :P

12 hours ago, Lilaina said:

It's all about TBC now.

The last time I was there, wowservers told me TBC is dead. *shrug*

23 hours ago, Veritch said:

Due to recent developments, all bets are off.  And by all bets, I simply mean just@Ugondiss bet.  Consider yourself the winner!!

BOOM!

suck it losers