Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Adalon

So what's all this about?

141 posts in this topic

You're more than welcome in continuing to entertain yourselves with your ad hominem comments and amateur psychoanalysis. I'll just stick to the facts...

I spent 12 months helping to build up this community. The reward was to become the community manager and a beta tester - special assignment fishing

I spent two weeks going through the fishing and associated bugs and two weeks getting mightily concerned and then depressed about the management and structure of the project

When it became clear that the choice was to betray the staff by voicing my concerns or betray the community by pretending everything was fine, I resigned. This is called a conflict of interest.

I offered to inform the community of the reasons why I quit but only if the NDA was removed. As that offer wasn't made I kept my mouth shut for the last 12 weeks. I left all Discord channels. 

Only when I received a PM and about the reddit post and someone started a thread followed by people asking me direct questions did I respond. 

I now ignore the NDA as the reddit thread specifically mentions me three times and ties me in with the opinion piece. Besides, most of the opinions broadly mirror my own, without the vulgarities.

I know who the reddit poster is, so does the staff management. It will be of minor interest how they handle the situation.

At all times I have behaved with integrity and decency. I still have huge respect for the staff, management and developers. It could still be released, at some stage.

Unfortunately, the Pserver window has moved on from where we were one year ago, six months ago, three months ago and now into the future.

These things happen, I'm off doing different things now and enjoyed my time here. I still love the community but it's been dying for some time now.

Goodbye.

8 hours ago, Heroin said:

Well, I just wanted to express a sentiment that has been bothering me for a while concerning @Outstanding. If I were to expand, for sake the simplicity remaining within the context of this particular drama, it's the faux modesty, combined with self-perceived importance, and a weird form of insensitivity. 

It seems to me that rather than contributing to an open discussion, instead, he contributed to Darkrasp's migraine. 

He is of course entitled to his own opinion, and I certainly respect his experience, but I think there was a much more constructive way of chiming into this debate. He only had to politely wait for a response from Darkrasp, or Elicas, and perhaps in response to that statement release his polemical views. Given his previous involvement with the project, and the aforementioned qualities which emanate from his posts, his behaviour simply comes across as that of an 'attention whore'. 

Putting it bluntly, it seems like you, Outstanding, enjoy stirring shit up. 

I'm sorry for making this personal, but you really crossed a line here. 

Anyway, let's set that to the side for minute. I understand that this might not be a popular point ot make, but I think we should keep in mind that while the community is certainly what constitutes the social dimension of a WoW server, in some sense we're just here for the ride. We're not the ones coding, scripting and testing. Furthermore, we can claim no sense of ownership over this project. I am sympathetic to the emotional involvement that a lot of us feel towards to the project, we're rooting for it, we want it to work, but like I said, this is principally Asura's little experiment. Of course, I do not wish to underplay the importance of Darkrasp, and the rest of the CF team, as even though this might be Asura's project, they're the ones driving the project together with him. 

That's the thing, however, the team and Asura are the ones who own and are the driving the car that we're just hitching a ride on. They're really doing us a favour by letting us tag along for the ride. Given how the community tends to react, and the often recurring sense of entitlement, I'm honestly surprised that they bother to communicate with us at all. 

I understand that the sentiments that some have displayed in this thread, that the CF does not communicate enough, that they're taking too long to respond, and so on, but honestly, since we're just hitching a ride, we are in no position to demand, we can only politely ask those who have chosen to waste their time on talking to us to share what's going with the project. 

Speaking of deadlines, I think it's also worth keeping in mind that every time this stuff happens the whole team tends to focus on actually responding and dissolving this kind of drama. Incidentally, that's time that could have been directed towards the project, towards the stuff that appears on Darkrasp's posts and which gets us all excited in the first place. It really doesn't make much sense to start emotionally blackmailing the team and the project, not only are we in no position to do so, but it's also just impolite. If we think there's something that could be done better, we can only politely make that suggestion and hope that we'll be listened to. 

Incidentally, that's really what triggered me about Outstanding's post. He's well within his rights to suggest improvements, but I think it's important that we remember that we're just here for the ride. It's not nice to shit all over the team that has decided to give us a ride

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'd simply like to thank @Darkrasp, @Asura, @Elicas and all other members of the CF team for taking time out of their days to work, share and communicate with us what we're all passionate about. In a weird way, it doesn't even matter whether CF launches or not, I'm actually just grateful that you guys let me have a glimpse of what it means to develop a WoW server. 

So, if I understand you correctly, basically you want Asura to give you a ride.

giphy.gif

2825346-nice.jpg

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

Unfortunately, the Pserver window has moved on from where we were one year ago, six months ago, three months ago and now into the future.

These things happen, I'm off doing different things now and enjoyed my time here. I still love the community but it's been dying for some time now.

Goodbye.

Does that mean that you won't be playing on CF under any circumstances? What about The Filthy Casuals! Did you find a new server, and if so, what is it? :o

The next isn't in reply to you, it's just general stuff. While the owners can do whatever the hell they want with their stuff, their time isn't one bit more valuable than the time of someone else just being on the forums. We all have as many hours in the day after all.

And then there's the fact that my time and my problems always feel like they supersede those of the others for the simple fact that they are closer to me, mine. 

Edited by pvescrub

Thanks for your contributions @Outstanding, always enjoyed reading your posts. Take care. o/

As for myself, bugs I encounter on private servers quickly turn me away from playing. So I kept waiting for a descent pve server. Corecraft gave me hope. Shiro (its dev) even went as far as giving programming lessons, things were looking up. Yet later, he vanished without a word along with the project.

I thought Crestfall would take its place, but what we hear now suggests otherwise. I don't know who's telling/distorting the truth and by how much. Asura's response should shed some light on it.

I know the devs don't owe people anything. This is their work. If they delay or scrap the project, so be it. They might also feel burnt out halfway down the road. But I also believe that it would be more appropriate if they were more open and honest about what's going on since they already revealed this project and have a community going.

Honestly, I'm kinda tired of keeping my hopes up for a descent pve server after all the drama plaguing pservers. I might as well jump into any of the servers available and learn to live with bugs or simply be done with wow and move on. I don't know.

20 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I thought Crestfall would take its place, but what we hear now suggests otherwise. I don't know who's telling/distorting the truth and by how much. Asura's response should shed some light on it.

Dude, honestly, I think CF is going to be fine. It wasn't a good look, but this definitely feels like a couple groups of people who just couldn't see eye-to-eye on a way to progress forward.  Progress is being made every week.  But it seems the difference of opinion was on where the progress was being made, what was prioritized, and when specific things should or shouldn't get done.  Solution!!! Be chill.

3 hours ago, DonnyDonowitz said:

Very correct point of view I have to agree on that and you do share an extent of my own.

However, I think you undervalue the sense of community a bit. If this is suppose to be a personal project or a daily blog about scripting a wow server it wouldn't have a specific forum like this one for it. Many of the staff were former forum bystanders like us previously. 

/snip

Fair enough. I'd thought a bit about the value of a community as well. I do think it's valuable, and I realise that the boundaries are fluid. I wasn't trying to underplay the value of the community, rather I opted to emphasise a different set of points which I felt needed addressing.

Is this the Outstanding ego-thread? Is he some sort of a querulant?

Posted (edited)

I'm realizing (thanks to @Heroin post) that we are putting too much pressure into these topics on the staff. It's a hobby, so I think it's not that big of a deal and the pressure on the staff seems serious enough to damage the project; It seems also true that, in some of my posts, I felt entitled to emotionally blackmail the staff, specially @Asura. So yeah, sorry for that, I was not aware of it probably because I was scared to see the project die. From now on I'll try to enjoy the project and give oppinnions here in a more sane way.

Edited by HarTstaRx

If people didn't create drama at all and didn't bash projects or the devs all the time, projects wouldn't die out.

33 minutes ago, ClawzTheMeow said:

If people didn't create drama at all and didn't bash projects or the devs all the time, projects wouldn't die out.

I think they have thicker skin than you give them credit for.

2 hours ago, ups1dedomn said:

I think they have thicker skin than you give them credit for.

oh really?
I don't think u would endure long enough after being pressured every day for months for a server release or a gameplay video, whatever people wanted from you.
Especially if people started to leak your personal information.

2 hours ago, ClawzTheMeow said:

oh really?
I don't think u would endure long enough after being pressured every day for months for a server release or a gameplay video, whatever people wanted from you.
Especially if people started to leak your personal information.

True that it can be hard. But the fact is that blizzard have a harder time touching people over hear. Here are no US-law. 

And on another note one good thing about all these hyped servers getting brought down is that Blizzard cant say "you don't wan't legacy servers. you think you do but you don't." Arrogant cunts. 

7 hours ago, ClawzTheMeow said:

I'm admittedly new to private servers but it seems to me that Blizzard is the reason why the promising projects die and not the drama/bashing by players. :P 

Posted (edited)

So the "answer this weekend" basically meant Sunday :P Who would have thunk.

Also, this probably postpones the other community interaction threads to the future, after all, can't have a drama reaction/fix-up and a Dev blog too close to each other. Or that still MIA Q&A4... Mind you, I'll gladly be wrong about this thing, I'm just afraid I won't be. 

Edited by pvescrub

Posted (edited)

Here is a personal opinion, i never liked Outstanding. What did he try to do ??? make a community ??????????????????????????? There is no dying community here, its just available while server is not launched, when its launched it will be full. Normal, if the forum doesnt exist, it doesnt matter, they just open the forum 2 weeks before the release or 1 month before, whatever. Its like beating a dead horse trying to create a community here while the server is not up... people are here because they wanna play, why else? Im not coming here, for anyone, i wanna play and see progress on dev updates and see if there is a new CF update or something interesting like the cool Wc3 UI. Im really not here because someone thinks he has to make sure the fforum activity should be high or else CF will die or whatever nonsense .... hope this doesnt sound negative or wrong... But if he helped in the bugtracker/research regarding bugs, thats something else, i would thank anyone who contributes to make the game more bugfree.

Edited by Brikot

We have addressed this matter officially, therefore I will now close this thread.