Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Darkrasp

Crestfall Update: 7/22/2017

72 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm here because I was promised free pretzels and beer!

Foth!

Edited by HijacK

glad to see the servers still going, keep it up and dont lower your standards

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

Our first scripters have access to the scripting machine and are now active.  It's behind schedule, but it is active.  Soulson has some connection issues which are taking time to fix, hopefully those are resolved soon. 

• While many events remain to script, the 1-60 experience is far from unfinished.  It is entirely possible to level 1-60 through every zone in the game and the majority of quests can be completed.  Does this mean we're ready for release?  No it doesn't, hence why we're still in beta and still have scripters working through the content polishing it.
  • PvP has been informally tested throughout the project and is far from "completely" untested.  A PvP-specific testing wave is planned to come in before open beta.

Testers have reported well over a thousand issues so far, and our fix rate is currently around 65%.   

Regarding the slip to 2018, is it possible?  Yes it is.  Do we remain committed to trying to release this year?  Yes we do.  The moment we change the aim of our release from 2017 to 2018 we will let you know.

The only way we quit this is if it is no longer enjoyable, something a good chunk of our contemporaries seem dead-set on making it.  

This will take some time to assemble, and we're not completely certain how exactly to set it up for display yet, but we feel it will be a useful way to keep the community in touch with what is happening and allow you to see that yes, things are getting done, and yes, we are moving towards release.    

Our intention in scaling back our communication with the community was to avoid drama and be able to work faster with less distraction, however the lack of communication seems to be driving too much doubt about our project.  

Thank you for all the status and progress updates. It sounded like simply a disagreement on how things were being done from the beginning. After hearing enough information on the ither thread, I wasnt concerned at all. 

Regarding taking all the time to build some sort of update/progress tracker, I just want you to know I need none of this.  Your 2 week updates are just fine by me and personally I think this is something that will just delay you guys.  People who freak out about these things are going to freak out regardless.  In the end, the server releasing will alleviate all concerns anyways. I think yout post just now alone will alleviate concerns enough anyway, as well as the discord measure.  Those things should really be enough.

Thanks again for the update.  I wish people would be more chill for all your sakes.  I want you guys relaxed and enjoying what you are doing.  So with that said, I hope you decide to waste little time on this update tracker and keep your focus on the prize.  I for one will not pressure y'all to do anything.  Keep up the good work and know that some of us completely understand where y'all are coming from.

Edit: tenf!!!

Edited by Veritch

Just keep it up guys!

Keep the communication line between devs and the community, but it's your dream to make this server. We just want to enjoy your dreams that came to reality.

Again, keep up the good work!

For me it doesn't matter if it releases this year, 2018 or later. My life doesn't revolve around this server releasing, I am like a lot of people excited and hopeful but I think you should take it at your own pace and release it when it's done.

And I do still believe you will release it eventually even though the original "leak" was a bit worrying.

46 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

All that said, we do recognize that the undisciplined approach we have been taking gives people hesitations as to our progress, since, although work is always being done, it's difficult to put that into any kind of a timeline or flowchart.  This was intentional on our part, since, as a hobby project, we didn't want to be held to a deadline, making something that we should be enjoying into a source of stress.  What we would like to do is develop a clear plan of attack, some sort of progress checklist where we can mark off items as being formally finished or in-progress.  Due to the complex nature of what we're making, this list would be obviously be subject to changes, but at least it would give some sort of visual indication of progress, so the community can actually see what's being tested, what's being worked on, and what's finished.

For me at least, that is an awesome idea. It just has to be updated regularly, either by the automated processes or by hand, or there will be RIP Crestfall comments popping up left and right.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and the intent in these cases matters a whole lot less than the actual execution. Once you set it up, there better be commitment to it, or it WILL backfire.

I'm happy this didn't come on Sunday after all. I like being wrong like this, and it helps with the cynical mindset one might set as a default as a sort of a defense from disappointments.

53 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

Crestfall, by hook or by crook, is going to get finished, but it will be done on our terms.  Period.

This is good for me.Fck communication, it brings equal drama.

Eleva!

Thank you for putting time into this post guys. Greatly appreciated! 

I'm very pleased to hear public discord will be back. I really enjoyed my time there and felt kinda sad when it went inactive (with good reasons off course)

And here comes Rammstein song.

13 minutes ago, duzyizly said:

And here comes Rammstein song.

Posted (edited)

Tharthenth !

So glad everything is fine ... now I can chill for some time

giphy.gif

Edited by SweN

Posted (edited)

Excellent update, thanks a lot for the read.

Nice to see the Discord back up, hope it doesn't get too rowdy with Dank memes and Elysium Bashing like last time, hopefully it'll be pretty low-key once it settles down.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

@Darkrasp First, thank you for taking the time to reply in such a professional and in-depth fashion.

I understand that you are all volunteers, don't set hard deadlines, and that the server will be done and released when it is ready. I'm fine with all that.

What concerns me is your style of project management moving forward to TBC and beyond, as I believe a commitment to having expansions released in a blizzlike time frame was previously mentioned. (Please correct me if this is wrong.)

You have set fairly hard deadlines for future expansions, which I'm not sure your laissez faire methods can deliver on.

Has there been in discussion how things will work moving forward after release? Asura will continue to have business trips, real life happens, etc. (not to mention all of the developers/testers  will be wanting to play as well) Yes, many of the processes and systems being used now will speed up development on future expansions, but will it be enough?

My concern is born out of an excitement to relive WoW through each expansion with the same character. Long live Crestfall! 

Thank you for an update. It's very pleasant to hear that everything is OK and you're continuing working on the project. 

I have been rather anti-social lately. But I am always in the background reading and following up on things. I am sorry to see more drama has happened. But I am not surprised by it either. But enough about all of that nonsense.

If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. With that said, I am glad that things are still going ahead. I have no issues with your pacing. As has been said this is voluntary, and nothing is owed to you or any of the other staff. Just the same as you don't owe anything to any of us. 

I want to say thank you to all of the staff, from the War Chief him self, to everyone below him to down to the peons. "Lok'tar ogar"!

Crest train runs on whole grain, baby. WOO WOO