Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elicas

Q&A 4

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon Crestfallen and welcome to Q&A 4. All questions for this Q&A were taken from replies to the last Q&A post. As always, we'd like to remind you all that questions regarding a release date will be ignored and that Asura currently remains committed to a 2017 release. You will be the first ones to know about the release date as we approach it. There is currently no further news regarding the Open Beta release we are working towards.

This months Q&A is much smaller than usual, since much of last months discussion was taken up by people discussing multiboxing rather than asking questions. Remember, we don't just make up these questions, we're answering to the community. If you don't ask, we can't answer.

As part of last months discussion on multiboxing, we have released a final decision regarding multibox rules. Please see this thread here.

General

•  Are you following actual retail precedent with your node pooling system or should we expect that areas that used to have only copper nodes for example, will spawn copper nodes as well as other things - or is it being changed so that what actually spawns in certain areas could be anything?

Our intention is to keep the same types of resources in the same areas.  You won't see an iron node where you used to see a copper node.  The system is designed only to randomize the exact location of a node from a single point to somewhere with a pathable radius of that point, and to randomize the spawn timers.  Players grinding in an area should see roughly the same amount of resources as they are used to, but more randomly placed, so as to interfere with spawn camping and farming bots.

• How fast will the launch of new raids / expansions happen?

We intend to release a new raid every four months, give or take.  Expansions are obviously a much larger step and will involve careful monitoring of server progress before we make the move to a new expansion.  We could roughly estimate 1.5 years from Vanilla to TBC, but that remains a very rough estimate that could change in either direction depending on development and player progress.

• Any ideas or clues to how you will handle Vanilla duration or will you run the server 100% blizzlike and run vanilla to TBC the same amount of days blizzard did?

We anticipate progressing to TBC around 16-24 months after release.

• Raid bosses have had the amount of loot dropped per kill increased per kill during vanilla and once again during TBC: will Crestfall emulate the changes to the amount of drops as vanilla/TBC progresses through the patches or will bosses use their final settings for drops per kill right from the start?

Our intention is to use the 1.12 drop tables for all bosses in 20/40 man content.

• What if you play alliance on PvP realm, and have horde char in PvE realm and the PvE Realm gets merged into the PvP realm, what then ? Horde and alliance on PvP realm?

We will consult with the community and make a decision on this at a future point should the necessity ever arise. Of course, we hope to maintain two viable servers and never have to merge.

• Will Talisman of Binding Shard drop on Crestfall server?

Once per server.

• Will fleeing mobs be snareable? This is one of those annoying bugs that all p-server have.

Yes, they are.  There is still currently a bug where if you cast something on a mob that is fleeing due to low health, the snare (or other effect) applies, but the mob will immediately stop fleeing and re-aggro you.  One more item for the list ;).

• I read that you will limit 2 accounts active at a time per IP. If there are multiple persons living together like my roommates and I in the same house can we send in a petition to allow more access without being blocked or banned from implemented protocols? 

We have not yet decided entirely on the 2 account/IP limit yet and remains conjectural.  This will be clarified and announced prior to launch.  It may be that only two people will be allowed to access the server at a time from any given IP address.  If we choose to do that, there will be no exceptions considered, since we would have no way of knowing if you are legitimately requesting access for humans, or just botting/multiboxing.  The reality of the situation is that we are willing to break some eggs in order to make this omelette.

Classes

• How do druid hots work on Crestfall? Will for example any rejuvination with the same rank overwrite another, or will the druid with the most +healing have a rejuvination that is impossible to overwrite from the others? I have heard arguments that both were the cases in vanilla, and I'm pretty confused to be honest.

Any HoT spell will overwrite another HoT spell of the same rank, regardless of talents or gear.  It is up to the healers in the group to ensure they are placing their heals efficiently without wasting their mana, and ensuring the best heals go on the targets that need them.

Questing

• Will your TBC realm have a similar launch state in regards to locked quests/zones/instances as your vanilla realm?

The TBC launch is far enough away that we have not finalized any plans of that nature.  It would be fair to conjecture that we will launch TBC in it's pre-nerf state, with the full attunement chains required for access to the higher tiered raid dungeons, and have the top tier raids locked until further into the timeline.

Q&A 5 will be scheduled for next month (August), date as yet undecided. Q&A 5 will be led by other team members as I will be on holiday at the time. This will be communicated to you all in due course.

Edited by Inari

5 minutes ago, Elicas said:

What if you play alliance on PvP realm, and have horde char in PvE realm and the PvE Realm gets merged into the PvP realm, what then ? Horde and alliance on PvP realm?

We will consult with the community and make a decision on this at a future point should the necessity ever arise. Of course, we hope to maintain two viable servers and never have to merge.

IMO, characters from PvE realm should be copied to another account for all, regardless of faction due to 1) simplicity 2) character limit.

That being said, I think a merge could only be necessary at some point if we have 3+ servers running.

32 minutes ago, Chickengrease said:

IMO, characters from PvE realm should be copied to another account for all, regardless of faction due to 1) simplicity 2) character limit.

That being said, I think a merge could only be necessary at some point if we have 3+ servers running.

with the new multiboxing rule this is gonna be unfortunate.... 2 accounts and you have both online and you are not in captial city? Banned both accs... Lets just play more so it doesnt have to be merged.

4 minutes ago, Brikot said:

with the new multiboxing rule this is gonna be unfortunate.... 2 accounts and you have both online and you are not in captial city? Banned both accs... Lets just play more so it doesnt have to be merged.

What's the difference? If the characters merged onto the existing account you can't use two characters at the same time anyways.

Does the recent Gummy server drama have any effect on Crestfall's plans?

Posted (edited)

Hey Elicas, thanks for the info and have a great vacation next month!  

Does Crestfall intend to make a list of all the retail WoW changes you are implementing?  For example, I know it was announced at one point that certain known areas of high value gold farming would be modified to make this less possible.  Is a list of changes like this and others going to be released near launch so people are aware of all the changes that have been made from retail?

Thanks guys and girls, enjoy your week.

Edited by Veritch

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, Ugondiss said:

Does the recent Gummy server drama have any effect on Crestfall's plans?

-Question retracted-

Edited by Struckd

4 minutes ago, Struckd said:

Piggy backing off this. What are the team thoughts in regards to the server owner being in the US? Gummy had stated, whether true or not, that he was personally handed the C&D letter a few hours after the server opened. With the release of Crestfall attracting similar attention, how does the US portion of the team feel being in jeopardy, if and when the server releases despite possibly hosting the server abroad?

The server owners are not in the US.

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, Sherekhan said:

The server owners are not in the US.

Isnt Asura US based? Did I mistakenly make that assumption based on his accent? If that is the case then I will retract my question.

Edited by Struckd

1 minute ago, Struckd said:

Isnt Asura US based? Did I mistakenly make that assumption based on his accent? If that is the case then I will retract my question.

He is american but lives in the EU (dont want to say were)

Just saying EU is sufficient :P. Thanks for clearing that up. I will retract/rephrase my question.

19 minutes ago, Veritch said:

Hey Elicas, thanks for the info and have a great vacation next month!  

Does Crestfall intend to make a list of all the retail WoW changes you are implementing?  For example, I know it was announced at one point that certain known areas of high value gold farming would be modified to make this less possible.  Is a list of changes like this and others going to be released near launch so people are aware of all the changes that have been made from retail?

I'm going to tag along with @Ugondiss here.  How will Crestfall handle a C&D being delivered?  I think it is a fair question. At this point, there literally has to be  plan in place and a known way to deal with it that hopefully doesn't include folding like an old tent.  What is yours?

Thanks guys and girls, enjoy your week.

Q.  Where will you host the server?  Are you worried about Takedown requests?

A.  Western Europe, but we will have international proxies you can connect to in order to keep latency down.  We don't want to talk about it too much, but suffice to say you should be very happy with your ping to our realms.  We aren't concerned about C&D orders.  Blizzard has no legal authority to enforce their copyright outside the United States unless that country has a specific legal agreement allowing US corporations to do so.  We just host in a country which doesn't have those agreements.  We aren't even live yet and have already gotten C&D orders, so they just go into the wastebasket with the rest of the trash.

Posted (edited)

It might be more of a personal question, but what do you guys think of the course that retail WoW has taken in general, and the Legion expansion in particular? Are there any good ideas or features somewhere along the way you'd be really excited to (re-)implement on Crestfall?

Edited by n-ghost

23 minutes ago, Chickengrease said:

We aren't even live yet and have already gotten C&D orders, so they just go into the wastebasket with the rest of the trash.

That's awesome lol.  It would be a lot of fun to take a C&D,  put it in an empty bottle with a label "this item begins a quest", and leave it at Blizzard HQ's front steps in a pile of sand.  Man, recording that and throwing it on youtube would make one a legend.....

In regards to the Multiboxing decision -

Leveling multiple characters simultaneously  ...  will result in a permanent ban of both accounts.

Fan. Tastic.

Hype Status: Still going strong.

Nice to see that multiboxers aren't allowed outside cities. How can you detect one though, aside from reports by players? If someone is controlling several toons in a dungeon for example, there's no one else there to see them.

Few questions.

1. A)What would you do, if even after all the raid "buffing" guilds were just breezing through the content so quickly a month or 2 after launch? Or vice versa, how quickly would you nerf content if it was not being cleared quickly or would you just let the community figure it out?

B) will add-ons like bigwigs and other raid adfons become obsolete due to significant changes in raid encounters?

2. Will there be a /world channel or will chat be kept to specific zone or linked through cities?

3. How will you address AH botting and add-ons like auctioneer.

4. Do you have any plans to police monopolizing like cartels/mafia?

5. Think it was almost a year ago many of us had a lengthy discussion on ironfoe and procs/proc rates. Any official information on how procs with weapons/totems/trinkets will work together and their official proc rates that you can share?

6. On the PvE realm will PvP be flagged on during world boss encounters?

Awesome to see this wasn't pushed further due to the other communication this week.

I have a question too this time around, further stuff on the node spawns. On one server with a "superior custom" way to handle node spawns one would end with all nodes cluttered in one corner no one usually goes to, i.e. there was no limit as to how close together the nodes would spawn. An excellent example of this would be Hillsbrad Foothils, where all nodes would eventually spawn in the Yeti Cave or the Human Mine, both of which were relatively high level areas compared to the zone in general. So most of the time no one was going into them.

Can this happen on Crestfall? Didn't happen on Live Vanilla, something like 4 nodes max in the cave, not around 15 like with that system...

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Elicas said:

• I read that you will limit 2 accounts active at a time per IP. If there are multiple persons living together like my roommates and I in the same house can we send in a petition to allow more access without being blocked or banned from implemented protocols? 

We have not yet decided entirely on the 2 account/IP limit yet and remains conjectural.  This will be clarified and announced prior to launch.  It may be that only two people will be allowed to access the server at a time from any given IP address.  If we choose to do that, there will be no exceptions considered, since we would have no way of knowing if you are legitimately requesting access for humans, or just botting/multiboxing.  The reality of the situation is that we are willing to break some eggs in order to make this omelette.

I think a good approach to this, both easy to code, and a good solution, would be to instead just flag any accounts, on an IP with more then two accounts from same IP for GM's to review. Its quite easy to visually indentify whether someone is botting, multiboxing ect. Then do some pseudo interval to perform this checks, if the same combination of accounts is online again at another time.

The disadvantage of this would be that GM's have to use time to perform human verification. However the human verification would be way better for the players.

Also limit to 2 IPs would not really limit anyone with some computer knowledge. You can easily create your own VPN server, or use GSM band ect. to get access to multiple IP addresses. Therefore i would also question whether this have the intended effect.

Edited by yeyeftw
"use GSM band ect." to "or use GSM band ect."

7 hours ago, Chickengrease said:

Yeah, i fully expect this to be the answer. But just in case, the Gummy server was very hyped and many were looking forward to it. Being hosted out of US is probably enough... but just in case, you can't reassure your minions enough that blizz won't shut it down. 

Posted (edited)

On 2017. 07. 23. at 5:03 PM, Veritch said:

As far as we know currently:

On 2017. 05. 24. at 9:44 AM, Elicas said:

Currently, things we have confirmed we are looking at include;

• Solo Dire Maul Tribute farming.
  • Solo DM lasher farming.
  • Black Lotus spawn points.
  • Ungoro Devilsaur spawn points and patrols.

On 2017. 07. 23. at 8:22 PM, Nocturn said:

2. Will there be a /world channel or will chat be kept to specific zone or linked through cities?

Hope to get an answer now, as this was asked some time ago.

On 2017. 05. 24. at 9:44 AM, Elicas said:

Currently, we have not yet made a final design decision regarding how we will implement possible World" channels.

On 2017. 07. 23. at 8:22 PM, Nocturn said:

5. Think it was almost a year ago many of us had a lengthy discussion on ironfoe and procs/proc rates. Any official information on how procs with weapons/totems/trinkets will work together and their official proc rates that you can share?

Well, here's a long Darkrasp quote.

On 2017. 05. 30. at 1:52 AM, Darkrasp said:

I also finally got Extra Strikes working and implemented exactly how I wanted them to work.  That was a trial and a half, and extremely frustrating (Windfury!!!!), but it's done.  Spells which generate extra strikes can now multiproc, but cannot double proc, and if multiple procs occur on the same swing, only the highest one applies.  To clarify that, a small example:

You swing once, and proc Windfury.  Windfury AP buff is added, and two extra attacks get queued up.
You take your first bonus swing (from Windfury, with bonus Windfury AP) -> No procs occur.
You take your second bonus Windfury swing (from Windfury, with bonus Windfury AP) -> This swing procs Ironfoe and Hand of Justice.
The Windfury AP buff falls off - only the two attacks granted by Windfury benefit from it.
You gain two additional swings from Ironfoe, the Hand of Justice proc is ignored as it has lower value.
You take your third bonus swing (from Ironfoe) -> You proc Windfury again, but it is ignored because it has already procced once in this chain.
You take your fourth bonus swing (from Ironfoe) -> You proc Hand of Justice again, but it is ignored because it has already procced once in this chain (even though it was ignored).
All five swings have now been processed, swing timer is reset.

Before anyone loses their mind.. I know.  The thing with how extra strikes work is that it changed a bunch of times through Vanilla and can basically be proven to work any one of three or four different ways.  Rather than fight it out, we just decided on a way that is neither the weakest or the strongest iteration and went with it.  It isn't necessarily exactly the way it worked in 1.5 or 1.9 or 1.12 or any other patch, but it's a fair middle ground and players will at least know what to expect in terms of behavior so they can theorycraft around it.  It's stable, logical, and I believe reasonable.  So there you have it.  Windfury even plays it's animation properly.

Edited by Clavus

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Nocturn said:

Few questions.

1. A)What would you do, if even after all the raid "buffing" guilds were just breezing through the content so quickly a month or 2 after launch? Or vice versa, how quickly would you nerf content if it was not being cleared quickly or would you just let the community figure it out?

B) will add-ons like bigwigs and other raid adfons become obsolete due to significant changes in raid encounters?

3. How will you address AH botting and add-ons like auctioneer.

4. Do you have any plans to police monopolizing like cartels/mafia?

6. On the PvE realm will PvP be flagged on during world boss encounters?

good question on #4 since #4 could be a gateway into gold selling on the realms or "laundering dirty money" via the AH with leather. 

i would like to hear feedback on that and i heard elysium did something to counter it? not entirely up to speed what other realms did to counter such things. though, the same could be said about certain TBC materials being monopolized as well. 

as much as i wouldn't prefer the blizzard way of telling you how to play the game, certain changes could be done without punishing players for playing the game.  

ban players for colluding, or do small custom change to stem collusion on a resource, letting players play without fear of losing account. interesting discussion indeed and i wonder what people think. ;)

Edited by imbaslap

One thing i was wondering about for some time now:

Will all the RP-Stuff be well scripted?

Things like NPCs talking, running around and interacting allways were an important part to me. Correct responses from random NPCs in the world, questgivers, mobs when aggroing - all that kind of stuff ('Greetings >Name<' , 'More Bones to gnaw on' from Defias Thugs)

I think you get the point :) Looking forward to next QnA