Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MadeByRockets

Just how bad is the PVP grind

35 posts in this topic

Now we've all heard the stories of R14 being a full time job with account rotations and win-trading all that. But I'm curious, for anyone who did do it on feenix/nos/kronos or of course retail wow. Is it truly as horrible as the stories go?

Also I was wondering, how difficult is it to reach say R13? I'm probably only going to try and get to commander, but is that grind as hard?

Its kind of like working temporary job that doesn't pay, as a matter of fact you have to pay your employer, with your health and sanity.

The job involves waking up in the morning, picking up your friends in your bus and going for a drive. Your bus often breaks down and increases the amount of time you have to drive each day.

The drive itself is pretty much going in circles on the same roundabout for at least 12 hours a day for about half a year.

I managed to get Lieutenant Commander back in retail by playing mainly 3 hours of pvp on weekdays and 12 hours per day on weekends. I would have easily reached Commander but went for a city raid just before reaching it and fell 2% short of the rank because of 20 DHKs :D

Commander rank isn't that big of a grind, but after that it gets harder by quite a margin.

Be prepared to play all day if you wanna get above rank 10/11.

Can somebody briefly explain how pvp gearing works in vanilla? In Wrath we had honor and arena points, with honor point you could get gear up to a6. a7-a8 were only available with arena points. Is vanilla system similar to this?

13 minutes ago, limov417 said:

Can somebody briefly explain how pvp gearing works in vanilla? In Wrath we had honor and arena points, with honor point you could get gear up to a6. a7-a8 were only available with arena points. Is vanilla system similar to this?

Honor isn't a currency. Every rank makes it possible to get some gear/items. Read about it here. If you're interested in formulas you can read about it here.

You might wanna run a macro like this to estimate how much honor you need for the next rank:
/script P=(math.floor(GetPVPRankProgress(target)*10000))/100 W=UnitPVPRank("player") N=(W-6)*5000+5000*P/100 Q=(W-5)*5000-N*0.8 SendChatMessage("Rank progress: "..P.."% ".."Current RP: "..N.." RP to next rank: "..Q.."","emote")

Edited by Frost

be prepared to play for 15+ hours a day every day for 6+ months if you want rank 14, and even then you might not get it because some other guy is gonna be playing for 18 hours a day every day for 6 months AND playing literally 24/7 from the second the server releases until he hits level 60, and then sleeping a day later, and some other guy might be playing even more than he does

itll be alot easier to get on the pve server as horde, way less tryhards there, and most of them there are gonna be alliance

Edited by Aquane

7 minutes ago, Aquane said:

for 6+ months if you want rank 14

It should take about 3 months to get r14.

Edited by Frost

its quite painful... imagine working 100+ hours a week at a fast food place like McDonalds, dealing with all kinds of stupid people.

it's not for everyone that's for sure.

So basically R7 through R10 is more or less obtainable on a semi-hardcore level. But anything after that I might as well quit school/job? 

6 minutes ago, MadeByRockets said:

So basically R7 through R10 is more or less obtainable on a semi-hardcore level. But anything after that I might as well quit school/job? 

Seems about right.

u can get r11 as a casual for sure

r11 to r12 maybe over many weeks

but to get 13/14 u need to be playing hard

Edited by slipryyyy

How good is epic PvP set anyway, compared to tier 2, 2.5 or even tier 3? And all the other items you can only get from very high pvp ranks? Is it worth farming so much or is the title just for the show?

Edited by Wolfrig

u dont keep the title u lose it after 1 week lol

the updated gear is rly good for every1 except rogue i think

the 1h swords are = to an item in aq40 and there is a 2h axe that is better from cthun

Edited by slipryyyy

8 minutes ago, Wolfrig said:

How good is epic PvP set anyway, compared to tier 2, 2.5 or even tier 3? And all the other items you can only get from very high pvp ranks? Is it worth farming so much or is the title just for the show?

Depends on the class.

For Feral Druid DPS, the epic set is second BiS for four of the five pieces. If you can get it early after release (R13) you won't upgrade those pieces until deep AQ40/Naxx.

YMMV.

As it was pointed out you really need to do some research on the class you play, but in general the rank 12/13/14 gear is of AQ40 quality.

it was pretty alright, i had lost 20lbs and dropped to a BMI of 18 by the time i got stopped half way through r13

at a point nearing the end i was sleeping 2 hours a night, going to work for 6 hours, then ranking the rest of the day

On 8/1/2016 at 3:38 PM, Mecher said:

it was pretty alright, i had lost 20lbs and dropped to a BMI of 18 by the time i got stopped half way through r13

at a point nearing the end i was sleeping 2 hours a night, going to work for 6 hours, then ranking the rest of the day

sounds like it was worth it.. :P

1 hour ago, imbaslap said:

sounds like it was worth it.. :P

id do it again tbh

I will encourage people to not bother going above rank 3 in my guild.

PvE and World-PvP mainly.

I hate having to avoid civilians when i raid towns

If u get r14 gear  and stop playing pvp, u lose title after a week, but do u lose gear too?

in patch 1.12.1, no

in some early patch that is how it worked, obviously it didnt last very long

It was brutal, but I feel that how the vanilla rankings worked made the PvP titles and gear more unique and therefore more rewarding. 

It won't be possible unless you're part of the cartel of dedicated poopsockers who monopolize the highest ranks by premading (and dodging other premades) 16+ hours a day. That's how the vanilla ranking system works on private servers.

Edited by untergang