Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MadeByRockets

Just how bad is the PVP grind

33 posts in this topic
On 8/14/2016 at 7:05 PM, untergang said:

It won't be possible unless you're part of the cartel of dedicated poopsockers who monopolize the highest ranks by premading (and dodging other premades) 16+ hours a day. That's how the vanilla ranking system works on private servers.

That's exactly how it works. Although, they forgot to mention when someone gets greedy and farms too much, or a different premade on your faction wants to rank first. So you'll be fighting within your own faction and your own former friends, this is usually when people start bargaining with each other so they may sleep, or attempting to sabotage either by drawing out games (Less Honor/Hour) or trying to get each other banned. Even a 3 Day ban can set someone back 3 weeks. It completely decimates PvP in young/small servers too, as you either are the premade farming, or the people being farmed.

I really hope that they delay all the PvP Gear and Weapons until AQ. Having that gear obtainable early on really brings out the worst in people.

On 2016-08-04 at 11:49 PM, Calfuron said:

It was brutal, but I feel that how the vanilla rankings worked made the PvP titles and gear more unique and therefore more rewarding. 

I like the PvP rank in vanilla but i think it whas to much aimed at grind and not skill what i fell whas the bad part. But i do agree the gear fellt rewarding.

I have workm 2 kids and a wife so i will aim at the rank i will get in the playtime i can get. So i have no aim or hopes. :D

On 25 July 2016 at 9:23 PM, limov417 said:

Can somebody briefly explain how pvp gearing works in vanilla? In Wrath we had honor and arena points, with honor point you could get gear up to a6. a7-a8 were only available with arena points. Is vanilla system similar to this?

No, you gain PvP Ranks over the course of a week, where the amount of Honor you gained and the Standing(Ranking)you took translates into Rank Points gained. 20% of your RP will also decay each week, which is what makes this grind as hard as it is.

For example;

Rank 13 is 55K RP, 11K RP will decay so to maintain Rank 13 you will have to gain 11K RP.

Each 'standing bracket' is able to receive an X amount of RP. which is what makes standing important, though you should look up the details yourself. This also has to do with server population. A higher population will make the brackets 'broaden' allowing for more people in each individual bracket

Battleground Reputation also rewards gear.

Rank gear wise its like this;

Spoiler

Rank 6; Rare quality Boots & Gloves

Rank 8; Rare quality Chest and Legs

Rank 10; Rare quality Helmet and Shoulders

Rank 11; PvP epic mounts

Rank 12; Epic quality Boots, Legs and Gloves.

Rank 13; Epic quality Helmet, Shoulders and Breastplate.

Rank 14; Grand Marshal / High Warlord Weaponry

Edited by Munin

There is generally no rank monopolizing on private servers, unless you go for r13/14 in the very early days. That usually holds the most enthusiastic rankers, which will give you a tough run for your standings.

-->Good people will setup their premades, which you might have a hard time finding a spot in, if you are new to Vanilla. (or been away from it for a long time)
Now of course you can try to lonewolf the honor you need, but you will have to invest a significant amount of time into it and it might burn you out in the long run.

From my PoV: I will generally invite the best players that I find and don't give a shit about your ranking ambitions, that might sound harsh, but it's effective.
And effictiveness is what you should seek, because one thing is undeniably true: R13&14 always has been a nerve wrecking grind:

To get significant progress past r11 you either need bracket 1 or 2 standings, which size is determined by the amount of active/eligable pvp players on the server.
If you do not end up hitting those brackets the grind for r14 even becomes impossible, so everyone aiming for that rank is well advised to take the time off to make it as short as possible.
---Expect 2 Months of little sleep&long gaming sessions(18h+) - rinse and repeat. (R13-R14 may take up to 4 weeks even with bracket 1 and its min. 3 weeks)

Edited by Nuar

IF you have a social life or a job dont bother above rank 11. It will make wow the only game you play all day all night.

I've got R13 on feenix back then, started to join premades after i hit R10...Had to play from full-time job too in order to keep 10-20th Standing