Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
duzyizly

explain to me how disenchanting should work

Because of too many P-servers played I don't know anymore how it used to work back in retail vanilla/tbc. Please tell me:

1. VANILLA

a) what skill level of [x/300] enchanting is required to disenchant highlevel gear? Do I just need 1/300 on my alt or...
b) can other player disenchant yours soulbounded and not-souldbonded items via trade?

2. same two questsions for later expansions (tbc/wotlk)

thanks in advance

Posted (edited)

I think in vanilla u required at least 250 skill to DE level 55-60 items, being main or alt.
And you couldn't disenchant via trade, soulbound or not, you could however enchant other people items through trade window.
I also think it was like that also in TBC + WoTLK, i could be wrong tho because i took many breaks in retail WoW between Vanilla and Warlords of Draenor.
You might want a better answer from a hardcore player from vanilla, tbc and WoTLK retail times.

Edited by ClawzTheMeow

Level 5 to pick up a profession. Some people had d/e alts, I just sent stuff to a friend and he would supply me with enchants whenever I needed them.

I had alch/herb on my main and on two occasions I dropped herbalism to disenchant some of my outdated epics and sell the shards. Then I would level herbalism back up again, it didn't take that long.

In TBC there was a "requires enchanting lvl XXX to disenchant" limit to items. Based on item level, if memory serves me? Kind of like skinning, like you can't pick up skinning at level 60 and start skinning Devilsaurs at 1 skill. It was balanced so that you would be able to disenchant stuff a few levels above your own, if you kept your enchanting up to date as you leveled. It was absolutely not worth it leveling enchanting just to D/E your epics in TBC.

On 11-11-2017 at 7:52 PM, Yavannie said:

Level 5 to pick up a profession. 

On two occasions I dropped herbalism to disenchant some of my outdated epics and sell the shards. Then I would level herbalism back up again, it didn't take that long.

So then, in Vanilla, would you say it takes longer to level up an alt to level 5 to take up enchanting and disenchant some outdated epics and sell the shards than to level herbalism back up again? Or is that not why you did that? 

7 hours ago, DrNeanderthal said:

So then, in Vanilla, would you say it takes longer to level up an alt to level 5 to take up enchanting and disenchant some outdated epics and sell the shards than to level herbalism back up again? Or is that not why you did that? 

No, you can't send your soulbound epics to an alt ;)

To clarify, the reason why people had level 5 alts for disenchanting was simply that it was an easy way to do your own disenchanting of high level greens that you acquired randomly (or through crafting). A lot of the time, the high end enchanting materials were worth a lot more than trying to hawk Random Hauberk of the Useless Stat Combo on the AH. Illusion dust and eternal essences were guaranteed top dollar, and sometimes you'd even get a shard out of a green. Or you kept the mats and used them to enchant your own gear. There is no difference in sending the greens to an alt and having your enchanter friend help you disenchant them - it was just convenient because it could be done on your own.

Soulbound items, on the other hand, can't be mailed to an alt, or traded to an enchanter friend. So if you wanted to disenchant your old epics, dropping a profession and picking up enchanting was the way to go. If I recall correctly, Nexus Crystals would go for 50-100g on the AH, and I made the money for my epic mount by disenchanting non-set items from MC and BWL. So for me it was absolutely worth running around the low level zones for a few hours, picking flowers. Especially when I had a nice, new, shiny skeletal horse to do so on!

On 11-11-2017 at 7:52 PM, Yavannie said:

*Great info, much patience*

Thank you for the elaborate clarification and putting up with my silly questions! It's much appreciated. Vanilla and TBC are actually the only two versions of WoW that I played on retail back in the day, so you would think I know all that, but I was a dumb teenager and actually a complete noob/casual back then who hardly ever did any end-game raiding or understood many intricacies of the game - like how to properly manage professions as you described. Well, I admit I knew that about soulbound items but I must have forgotten since it's been so long, so thanks for refreshing my memory on that as well.

This time around, either on official classic servers or Crestfall (or both), I plan on being fully prepared on the knowledge side of things so I can play the game to its full potential. I'm planning on rolling a Priest as my main, probably with Tailoring and Enchanting. In case you happen to have some relevant experience or knowledge on that as well, would you be okay if I PM'd you with some more silly questions some time? 

Thanks again for your help. 

3 minutes ago, DrNeanderthal said:

Thank you for the elaborate clarification and putting up with my silly questions! It's much appreciated. Vanilla and TBC are actually the only two versions of WoW that I played on retail back in the day, so you would think I know all that, but I was a dumb teenager and actually a complete noob/casual back then who hardly ever did any end-game raiding or understood many intricacies of the game - like how to properly manage professions as you described. Well, I admit I knew that about soulbound items but I must have forgotten since it's been so long, so thanks for refreshing my memory on that as well.

This time around, either on official classic servers or Crestfall (or both), I plan on being fully prepared on the knowledge side of things so I can play the game to its full potential. I'm planning on rolling a Priest as my main, probably with Tailoring and Enchanting. In case you happen to have some relevant experience or knowledge on that as well, would you be okay if I PM'd you with some more silly questions some time? 

Thanks again for your help. 

Absolutely no problem! I raided with a priest main through Vanilla-TBC-WotLK and although I wasn't in a top-top tier raiding guild, I've seen the insides of all the raids, and heard the thuds of most bosses as they hit the floor, so if you have questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer. With the reservations that it's been some 10-12 years and I'm not getting any younger myself ;)