Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aquane

NWN1 and multiplayer

Posted (edited)

So today I got bored and realized that I wanted to play NWN1, which was made by old Bioware, back when they were still good

NWN1 is a very good game, flawed as the game mechanics may be, that is basically a D&D 3.0 simulator(Forgotten Realms) with some changes from PnP, and online multiplayer, and a very, very, very, VERY intricate and detailed level editor that lets you make your own campaigns and worlds at the level of Bioware, and furthermore, the game is very, very moddable

though as a warning the one non-xpack campaign sucks; don't even play it unless you want the HotU campaign to be a little bit better

if you haven't played D&D or a D&D-based game before, NWN1 is like... an ARPG without randomized loot, in which you can pause the game and tell your character(and henchmen) to do things while the game is paused, though none of it happens until its unpaused, and the level cap for player characters is 40, so theres plenty of epic levels

theres also friendly fire if you turn up the difficulty

anyway though, I didn't wanna play NWN1 in just any manner; I wanted to play multiplayer, and not just doing the xpack campaign with someone else or something, but to play on a certain kind of persistent world server, which is essentially a mini-MMO that can have, if you want, none of the in-game world that existed in the Bioware campaigns

so I went to http://www.nwnlist.com/ , which is pretty much a list of NWN servers(that registered there) and their descriptions, current amount of players, and IP addresses, and unfortunately I couldn't find the kind of server I'd liked among the servers that had at least 1 player on it

this game used to have a very big multiplayer scene... but now barely anyone plays servers that aren't RP servers and there aren't any hardcore PvP servers left, too bad barely anyone plays it online anymore; I missed those days of higher population altogether

I basically want a server where instead of adding a whole bunch of new stuff, they try to fix whats already there and make stuff thats already there actually be useful if it isn't... and for the server to actually have players on it and be English-speaking

beyond that, I want an ACTION or "PW action" server that at least has non-solo endgame content, but ideally also has non-solo pre-40 content as well, even if you can just solo THAT at 40; an instant 40 PvP server would be nice too if it actually had players

and if you don't want multiplayer, the singleplayer is good too, aside from the above mentioned campaign; there are also very very many custom-made modules for NWN1, some of which are perhaps better than the official expansion pack campaigns, which are generally considered to be good as they are

I played a custom module called The Aielund Saga; it took me from level 1 to 37 with both good non-story gameplay AND a good, though at times cliche, story

I'd also like to play more custom mods like that, which take you from level one to above level 35(ideally 40) and also have an at least tolerable story

I would try swordflight, but the first chapter was either use 500 holy traps or die repeatedly, and beyond that im not even sure if the guy who made it made a final module yet

and heres some screenshots, two from the custom modules i mentioned, one from each xpack, and 1 of the lvlup screen at lvl 1

level_1.png

combat.jpg

elder_brain.jpg

trap.png

screen1.png

too bad theres no spoiler function

so yeah, heres an NWN1 thread

Edited by Aquane

I spent hundreds of hours playing both official campaigns and dozens of custom modules, good stuff.

1tc6sy.jpg

But seriously, my to-play list is grossly long and spans a bit more than two decades. Halp.

Posted (edited)

Played through half(?) of the main campaign. It wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be but it certainly wasn't good enough to warrant a full playthrough either. I think I'm just gonna get straight to custom campaigns next time I play.

Multiplayer seems interesting as well. If the whole WoW PTE thing doesn't work out we should just have a CF NWN server. kek

Edited by VeloxBanks

I miss good old NWN1 multiplayer.
This post made me nostalgic cry.
Thanks Aq.

Damn, i cant remember when i bought this.Never played it...dunno why....wait...because of warcraft i missed most of good games.

2017-07-31_22-04-21_876.jpg

19 minutes ago, Sallerius said:

Damn, i cant remember when i bought this.Never played it...dunno why....wait...because of warcraft i missed most of good games.

[picture]

well you can play it while you wait for crestfall to come out, hows that?

1 minute ago, Aquane said:

well you can play it while you wait for crestfall to come out, hows that?

Will try for sure at some point. Now im in book reading phase.

Posted (edited)

@Sallerius Ah, the tragedy of missing good games because of what's effectively not a real game (repeat after me, kids: MMOs aren't real games).

Edited by Xaverius

19 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

Ah, the tragedy of missing good games because of what's effectively not a real game (repeat after me, kids: MMOs aren't real games).

Its not just Wow , IM ADDICTED WARCRAFT 3 TOO!!!! Damn, that was love on 1st click.WC3 was my 1st buzz game(lost vikings, but what the hell).That story, heroes, drama, continuation thru campains....just....perfect.

1 hour ago, Sallerius said:

That story, heroes, drama, continuation thru campains....just....perfect.

TFW blizzard will never make such a game again.230787463784693760.png

Warcraft III was one of the first games I ever played. Well, technically, HoM&M and Stronghold were first, but that wasn't my PC so whatever.
WC3 was one of the four not-so-legal games that we got with our first PC. The other three were Rayman 3 (the last Rayman before rabbids and the implosion of the 3D series, so good), Monsters Inc. (crap, but a lot of fun back then) and Hepumia (bomberman clone with an elf, nice music and 8 or 9 levels - and this sold for 25 USD back then, kids).

That's how my love for Blizzard started back then. Few years later I got hold of Diablo II and Starcraft and, well, I had a good time. Nobody seriously considered WoW back then, because only few people had internet. Of course, that changed eventually, but ever since then, Blizzard's been giving me new and inventive reasons why hate it. They forgot how to make games thanks to wow. And then the corporate takeover. Honestly the only good game they produced since WC3 is Wings of Liberty (and that's maybe because of my nostalgia), which is the only part of SC2 that feels like the original Starcraft. Terrans in their tin cans powered equally by nuclear fusion and gasoline, on the run from the law and getting eaten by every xeno around. Good times.

Posted (edited)

@Xaverius Damn, HoM&M..... totally forgot about that.Heroes II was 1st turn based game that i played in colour(yeah).Fun fact- max tier unit for humans was Paladin:). There was no torrents and other shit, hell, internet was dial up.Loads of games on one CD in rar file...all pirated.

Good ol times

Interesting thing, i never played Diablo series....guess im not fan of "isometric" rpg games

Edited by Sallerius

1 hour ago, Sallerius said:

Loads of games on one CD in rar file...all pirated.

Oh damn, I remember this series that used to release in these parts, called "Gaming Selection" or something in that sense. It was one CD with about 30-40 games on it that wouldn't pass for an idie these days. Maybe for a web game. Half of them were made in flash and/or game maker anyway.

Also yea, pirating was the only way to get anything. And you were lucky if you could burn it off the original game. Of course, you had to do the legwork - in an ideal case, the person with the game would bring it to school and you could borrow it. Otherwise you'd have to visit them! Eventually you'd end up with everyone having basically the same copy. We actually had Starcraft like this - no matter who you borrowed the burned CDs from, it was a copy where the last Terran mission and cinematic didn't work.

I played the crap out of NWN, but lost some of my install discs years ago and never picked it up digitally. GOG actually gave it away during one of their sales last year, and I took a long trip down nostalgia lane. It still is one of the most fun RPGs to ever have been made.