Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Darkrasp

Q&A 5

33 posts in this topic

Uh, unexpected first.

And thumbs up.

super buffed raid encounters on a temporary, tournament realm sounds dope.

give people incentive to try it out and if they beat it, they get some fancy TCG items on CF realms.

just kidding, though not a bad idea for stuff on the side. 

though a hosted PVP tourny realm would be dope as well for TBC onward similar to how blizzard did it early wotlk.  getting that murkimus pet was fun along with the vanquisher title.

Cool, thanks for the detailed responses.

2 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Will add-ons like bigwigs and other raid add-ons become obsolete due to significant changes in raid encounters?

They'll still be useful, but we do intend to modify ability timers, and make them more random, so they won't be as accurate.

Those changes to abilitys were mostly for early raids right? MC, BWL etc?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Does Crestfall have the movement lag or "stutter" that affects a lot of other private servers?

No.

I wont lie, this make me pretty happy, since the whole stuttery movement thing was one of my pet peeves when playing on other Vanilla servers, I know for a fact the movement wasn't so bad on retail Vanilla (though it did still stutter occasionally).

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

8 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Does Crestfall intend to make a list of all the retail WoW changes you are implementing?

Dont give us nothing.Let us explore things.

So...does this mean we aren't going to be allowed to use Auctioneer? :\

--I specifically use Auctioneer to properly price out items. There's no fucking way I'm scrolling through 100+ pages of '1 per stack' Linen Cloth. And yes, people will do that in hopes of getting other's to "eh, fuck it, 50c BO" (with the actual BO being around 2s).

I'm also concerned with changing boss mechanics to be 'more random'.

-- Which, to me, sounds like "not Blizzlike". Assuming this 'more random' is 'more random' than what was on Live, and not 'more random' than what's on other servers (which aren't as random as Live was).

-- I fear that making minor changes could lead to other changes being requested. Some I wouldn't mind, like anniversary events for Elemental Invasion, War Effort, Scourge Invasion; lasting maybe a week every year on the week those world event went live. ((Obviously 'Ring the Gong' would only appear once and then it should just be 'Ring the Gong Again'; unless the Scarab Lord accounts have been MIA for several years -- There must always be a Scarab Lord.)) *World Events are what attracted me to WoW many years ago...I missed War Effort, but seeing those YouTube videos on it, are what got me subbed ;)

Wew, why would people want the place from worldbosses to be FFA-PVP ? If its pve realm thats it, u have chosen oO, who comes first gets first. But there are actually worldbosses where the teritory is ally or horde ? Well then, dont play on pve realm oO

Why would there be any more tuning just because a few guilds find the content easy ? ... The items u get wont get stronger.... then people just gonna show off later how they beat it while it was hard and this will last forever, they will stick their archievements on their forehead and tell everyone his guild is better than everyone else cause they did it on hardmode.

Really cant you just have 1 difficulty for everyone ? I heard Cthun was unbeatable and then they patched it so people could beat him? Cant you just choose one of these "Cthun's" and leave it there forever? Every guild would beat him if they want to, it would be a matter of practice and time is enough since vanilla wont go away. Why would you even consider a few people who say "omg content to easy" as something important to take care of ? I wanna play the version people experienced the hardest way and which is possible on CF and it should stay that way, nobody comes here for free loot.

A nice Poll from crestfall would be nice where people could vote which of the boss version they would like to have implemented forever and without any changes in the future.

Like it feels like as if the items from people that beat the bosses in time when it was hard has more value than mine when i beat it later... it feels bad.

Thanks for the given answers till now and for all the beautiful work that the CrestFall Team is doing for the community.

Btw i have 2 questions that i haven't found in the forum.

First:  Will the "Corrupted Ashbringer Event" work inside the Cathedral Wing of Scarlet Monastery when someone will enter with the "Corrupted Ashbringer" ?      ...( like in this video )...

Second:  Will the runes of Molten Core be cleansed by the "Eternal Quintessence" ( http://www.wowhead.com/item=22754/eternal-quintessence#comments ) to summon Majordomo Executus?

Waiting for some answers, thanks for reading.

52 minutes ago, Brikot said:

Wew, why would people want the place from worldbosses to be FFA-PVP ? If its pve realm thats it, u have chosen oO, who comes first gets first. But there are actually worldbosses where the teritory is ally or horde ? Well then, dont play on pve realm oO

But what if you come first, port, buff and someone else instead starts it? Also people intentionally fucking up Kazzak attempts. And yes, the Nightmare Dragons.

52 minutes ago, Brikot said:

Why would there be any more tuning just because a few guilds find the content easy ? ... The items u get wont get stronger.... then people just gonna show off later how they beat it while it was hard and this will last forever, they will stick their archievements on their forehead and tell everyone his guild is better than everyone else cause they did it on hardmode.

Really cant you just have 1 difficulty for everyone ? I heard Cthun was unbeatable and then they patched it so people could beat him? Cant you just choose one of these "Cthun's" and leave it there forever? Every guild would beat him if they want to, it would be a matter of practice and time is enough since vanilla wont go away. Why would you even consider a few people who say "omg content to easy" as something important to take care of ? I wanna play the version people experienced the hardest way and which is possible on CF and it should stay that way, nobody comes here for free loot.

A nice Poll from crestfall would be nice where people could vote which of the boss version they would like to have implemented forever and without any changes in the future.

Like it feels like as if the items from people that beat the bosses in time when it was hard has more value than mine when i beat it later... it feels bad.

What? Darkrasp said bosses probably will not be re-tuned once they're live and there was no talk about more than 1 difficulty except maybe on a special kind of realm. There will be 1 difficulty that should be slightly above retail and above most private servers. Not more. Also Vanilla will go away, even quicker than you'd think.

2 hours ago, illutian said:

--I specifically use Auctioneer to properly price out items. There's no fucking way I'm scrolling through 100+ pages of '1 per stack' Linen Cloth. And yes, people will do that in hopes of getting other's to "eh, fuck it, 50c BO" (with the actual BO being around 2s).

-- Which, to me, sounds like "not Blizzlike". Assuming this 'more random' is 'more random' than what was on Live, and not 'more random' than what's on other servers (which aren't as random as Live was).

-- I fear that making minor changes could lead to other changes being requested. Some I wouldn't mind, like anniversary events for Elemental Invasion, War Effort, Scourge Invasion; lasting maybe a week every year on the week those world event went live. ((Obviously 'Ring the Gong' would only appear once and then it should just be 'Ring the Gong Again'; unless the Scarab Lord accounts have been MIA for several years -- There must always be a Scarab Lord.)) *World Events are what attracted me to WoW many years ago...I missed War Effort, but seeing those YouTube videos on it, are what got me subbed ;)

Then you're specifically targetted by this change. You can still put in the work and do the same by hand, but the Admins don't want Auctioneer to be a 'give money' button.

And "Muh Blizzlike!" - doing bosses with 1.12 talents and buffed items isn't Blizzlike. If anything, slight adjustments to the bosses make them more Blizzlike because you're not pressing 1 and watching Boss Mods for 3min to then roll on Epics.

6 hours ago, illutian said:

1) Auctioneer should still work, at least mostly work anyways.  Might be some limitations, but we don't intend to ban or entirely break the addon at this point.  Don't want to get into specifics at this time.

2) More random.  Call it un-Blizzlike if you want, you also didn't have 1.12 talents during patch 1.4 on retail either.

3) We don't have a huge team or unlimited time, so the vast majority of custom changes that people request are ignored or discarded.  When we decide on how something will work, the topic is typically closed.  People are welcome to make suggestions, but there are plenty of things they're just going to have to live with.  We are very aware of the dangers of entering the custom changes rabbit hole.  We don't make a lot, and the ones that we do are for specific reasons.

4 hours ago, Brikot said:

Why would people want the place from worldbosses to be FFA-PVP ?

Why would there be any more tuning just because a few guilds find the content easy ?

Really cant you just have 1 difficulty for everyone ?

1) It's an anti-griefing measure.  As I said, we're unlikely to make any changes like this unless it's becoming a serious problem.

2) The idea is to release content at first in a highly buffed state to give the tryhards a challenge, and then tune it back so other guilds can catch up, much like what Blizzard did on retail.

3) It will be one difficulty for everyone, but that difficulty will change over time.

4) Probably not going to happen, though we may seek community input when it comes time to tune down the encounters.

5) I have my own question:  Why do you put a space between the end of your sentence and the question mark?

4 hours ago, Tronus said:

Will the "Corrupted Ashbringer Event" work inside the Cathedral Wing of Scarlet Monastery when someone will enter with the "Corrupted Ashbringer"

Will the runes of Molten Core be cleansed by the "Eternal Quintessence"?

1) As long as someone scripts it, yes.  Our scripting engine will support it.

2) Yes.

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

5) I have my own question:  Why do you put a space between the end of your sentence and the question mark?

ugh... I dont know... its a question mark at the end .... xD  Why??

oh and nice catch

Also long time no school and i learned english on the internet and when i write anything at all i only write on internet.

Edited by Brikot

20 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Thank you for taking the time to do the Q&A5. You are one of the most positive faces of this project, thank you for giving more life to the project than he has with each message.

4 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

2) More random.  Call it un-Blizzlike if you want, you also didn't have 1.12 talents during patch 1.4 on retail either.

Isn't that largely because there's no 1.4 client out in the wild?

6 hours ago, illutian said:

Isn't that largely because there's no 1.4 client out in the wild?

Changing clients every single patch would be a pain in the ass and hassle no one probably would want. 

Ok, sure, there must be some that do, but I'd imagine most do not. 

It's not difficult to get the 1.4 client, at least in english; the problem is that from 1.4 to 1.12.1 there are a lot of client side fixes for known bugs and exploits, so it would be worse the remedy that the disease; we can say we are stuck on 1.12.1

What if I want to play alliance for vanilla on the pvp server and when the server progresses to TBC I want to play a horde char, can I have 2 accounts with 2 sides on the pvp server?  @Darkrasp

17 hours ago, Budge said:

What if I want to play alliance for vanilla on the pvp server and when the server progresses to TBC I want to play a horde char, can I have 2 accounts with 2 sides on the pvp server?  @Darkrasp

I think the issue arises when more than one account is active on a given ip address. I doubt you'd run into any trouble making multiple accounts, as long as only one account was active at a time. 

9 hours ago, Bluemoon said:

I think the issue arises when more than one account is active on a given ip address. I doubt you'd run into any trouble making multiple accounts, as long as only one account was active at a time. 

that would be fine for me

also any info on content release times? how many month after BWL, AQ cleared till next content and so on?

in the faqs I cant find proper information.

Thanks for yet another great update @Darkrasp doesn't matter to me if its a Q&A or an update blog.

Also..

It might be more of a personal question, but what do you guys think of the course that retail WoW has taken in general, and the Legion expansion in particular? Are there any good ideas or features somewhere along the way you'd be really excited to (re-)implement on Crestfall?

I can't say I speak for the team on this one, but I'll answer from my own perspective.  I think retail WoW has become an entirely different game, by an entirely different team, for an entirely different audience.  The current team has made no bones about how their intention was to turn WoW into a fantasy-themed Candy Crush game.  Anyone can play, microtransactions are omnipresent, and the purpose isn't to make a good game, but to squeeze as much money from it as possible.  To that end they introduced "features" which made it easier and easier for players to play alone, to the point that you can now run full raids without having a single person on your friends list, or even being in a guild.  They changed the itemization system from a dynamic and involved process where people theorycrafted, and eventually decided on which items were optimal for which specs, at what point crit is worth more than hit, or hit is worth more than spell damage, or how much itemization you need for stamina, etc., to one where "the upgrade to Sword +500 is Sword +501".  All the itemization decisions have been removed from the game, character building is virtually automated and no thought needs to go into it.  If I remember right, this came from the fact that so many items were being discarded because they were only good for a certain class or spec..  As legacy players, many of us are familiar with farming a raid and after a few weeks, melting a ton of gear just because nobody wants or needs it.  In the new WoW, items rarely go to waste because they can be used by anyone, but at the same time, you lose the excitement of finally getting that drop you've been waiting for.

The most fun thing for me about WoW was playing with friends.  I was in four or five guilds over my time playing retail, and even though I quit in 2009, there are still a half dozen people I keep in touch with regularly.  Nobody ever called each other by their character's names.  Everyone was on a first name basis.  Our guild ran two Karazhan runs in TBC, I was raid leading the "Red" team.  The tanks were Greg and Ryan.  My healers were Charles, James and Joey.  The DPS was Rob, Trey, Joe, Christina and Me.  Our alternates were Jenn and Tony.  I still talk to most of them.

The environment on a retail Vanilla/TBC server was radically different.  Retail had population caps around 3000.  You didn't see much of the other faction, you recognized guild tags of the top guilds and you'd know a few people who were top PVPers, or maybe specific rivals, but not many.  Mostly you just saw your own faction.  So cut that population in half, down to 1500.  Some of those players would be in different time zones, or only played during the day.  We did have a couple overseas guilds who played while I was asleep, or in school.  So cut that population in half again, down to about 750.  Now, you probably went to a school with that many kids.  You weren't friends with all of them, but after a couple years you certainly recognize most of them.  In WoW, that meant knowing who the good guilds were, who the bad guilds were, who the ninjas were, who you had to call to get a Lionheart Helm crafted, etc.  There was a legit community, and the experience of getting to know all those people, joining a guild, doing dungeons and group quests and raids with the same people week after week built actual, lasting friendships.  I enjoyed that aspect of the game far more than I enjoyed the game itself.  For that reason, I don't particularly like the way WoW has gone.  It's dumbed-down and antisocial where it used to be complex and communal.  There's nothing about the later expansions that I would want to bring back into Vanilla.

I loved playing vanilla and TBC when the pop caps were much lower because of those reasons also.
The world felt lot more alive than right now where u can solo almost everything or everything(lol).
I remember when i leveled my main or even alts in TBC and asked people for help to complete Group quests.
Now where are those group quests? Ohh there's none because the game is 100% crap now.
That's one of the reasons i don't play it anymore and that's why i'll stick to Private servers !

Posted (edited)

Sorry for the doube post, i forgot some stuff on my multi quotes :/

On 08/08/2017 at 2:35 AM, Pvt_8Ball said:

I wont lie, this make me pretty happy, since the whole stuttery movement thing was one of my pet peeves when playing on other Vanilla servers, I know for a fact the movement wasn't so bad on retail Vanilla (though it did still stutter occasionally).

Since i never played much of retail vanilla(barelly made it to level 30'ish or 40 i don't remember 100%) i never noticed that problem, its obvious that since the internet was alot worse back then there was alot more problems when playing online than right now lol, also some other servers i played, some were worse than others yes, i really hope Crestfall won't have that problem !

On 08/08/2017 at 11:40 AM, Brikot said:

That's actually a very good idea !

I like it !

On 08/08/2017 at 0:06 PM, Tronus said:

First:  Will the "Corrupted Ashbringer Event" work inside the Cathedral Wing of Scarlet Monastery when someone will enter with the "Corrupted Ashbringer" ?      ...( like in this video )...

Second:  Will the runes of Molten Core be cleansed by the "Eternal Quintessence" ( http://www.wowhead.com/item=22754/eternal-quintessence#comments ) to summon Majordomo Executus?

1) Would love to see this since i've never done it or seen it in Retail WoTLK.
2) Shouldn't be hard for the STAFF since i've seen it in other private servers a.k.a Nostalrius

On 08/08/2017 at 4:32 PM, Darkrasp said:

Indeed i was wondering the same O.o

Edited by ClawzTheMeow