Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
valaquenta

A sum-up of all that happened yesterday

58 posts in this topic
27 minutes ago, valaquenta said:

If open-sourcing is the best solution from your point of view, then I'm glad they merged with Elysium to be completely honest with you

...and yet, you give no reason why you are glad they merged with Elysium and what's wrong with open-sourcing their core.

You also have ZERO indication about "philosophy is the same". On the contrary, you have many hints about how their original plan will change.

...and quoting you: I REALLY doubt the CF staff would then leave the Elysium project.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, valaquenta said:

May I ask what other solutions you thought about to save the project then? I mean, I can't say that there's nothing wrong with Elysium, but between them and the shutdown of crestfall, it's a no-brainer, isn't it?

According to Darkrasp's post the main reasons why things needed to change were:

1. Asura's lack of time to develop

2. Fears of Asura facing legal trouble for being a US citizen and in charge of CF

3. Asura's and Crogge's lack of time to run the project.

1 Will be fixed by this Niko person. No elysium involvement needed (unless he is already working for elysium *tinfoil*)

3 Could be fixed by handing different parts of the leadership to different people (1 in charge of overseeing development (niko), 1 in charge of PR (someone from CM/GM team maybe? etc.)

So as far as I can see the only real reason why they "need" Elysium is to keep it safe from Blizzard. And yet the private server scene is full of projects that do just that without selling their souls to Elysium. The only notable projects that have been shut down by Blizz as far as I know were nost and felmyst. Felmyst failed because Gummy was a murican hosting in the US so yeah, no surprise there. And the general consensus seems to be that Nost didn't have to be shut down: they either freaked out or wanted to get hired by Blizz. So why is Elysium so essential to CF's survival? It's not. Convenient for them maybe, and probably what Crogge wanted all along because he's already running Elysium but hardly the only possible choice seeing how other servers and projects exist.

So to answer your question, they could have asked the community they already had for help and donations maybe, and then go to Elysium if it isn't enough? Or just continue with the old plan, with new leadership structure and main dev? With Asura no longer in charge and the project hosted outside the US I don't understand what the problem would have been.

Oh, and they also don't have to throw away the forums and discord they already have but they will do so anyway because reasons?

Anyway, feel free to point out the flaws in my thinking. I fully admit to being clueless about most of this stuff. :P

Edited by Lilaina

22 minutes ago, Smirre said:

Except it does, when they behave like this, they should not be allowed to play on any server ever again. I'm voting for eternal ban from every pserver. 

I'm not sure if you're serious or not :D

Smirre is not behaving like a child, seems like he is a child, probably 10 or so I think. But hey, if being a troll is the only way he can enjoy himself, then I guess we can let him and move on with discussions.

@valaquenta I'm pleased that you at least acknowledge the possibility of a breakdown of the agreement. I have nothing against being hopeful but I have seen too many servers go down in similar ways to not expect the worst. That way at least I'll be either positively disappointed or not surprised - both good. But as you said yourself, we will see what will come of it. :)

Hmm I just read te Legacy Crusade post on Elysium. I think this is some good news.

Seems to me like the Ely players are already hyping it up and all attention is on it, maybe we can get CF to go as planned in the end :)

Smirre, please see a brain doctor, something in you is broken.

That's quite enough.  Couple bans going out and the topic is getting locked.