Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Darkrasp

Crestfall Status 10/16/2017

116 posts in this topic

I feel like if there's any project with integrity to consider grouping with, it's VoA. Vengeance has a tiny server, but seems to be transparent and their devs are some of the few with a live server who consistently contribute back to the open core they're based on. I'm not sure what their hosting situation is, but I've never seen them mired any any of the BS that has surrounded places like Elysium (or sketchiness of Warmane, though full disclosure I had no issues playing on Lordaeron). 

I've been gone for awhile, though lurking. A positive development out of this could probably bring back a lot of folks like me who have been inactive for awhile. 

Side with vanillagaming. They host in Switzerland. It's expensive but very safe. Many absolute privacy servers there.

Your statements, equivocal or otherwise, that the team here had no idea what was happening at Elysium are simply incredulous.  You personally may not have known the specifics but even you were well aware of the controversy surrounding that project based on your comments following the first LGN dissolution (Crestfall: The Next Stage) and your comments on the, now hidden, August 21st announcement of the Elysium merger.  At best, you want us to believe there is nobody leading this project with the managerial acumen to make even the most rudimentary inquiries about a duplicitous server group you have now aligned with twice.  At worst, well... given Crogge's sysadmin role here and his involvement in the latest scandal, at least one member of the team had a pretty decent idea what was going on at Elysium.

The reality is neither you, nor Asura, nor seemingly any member of the staff here is willing or capable of owning this project.  From a purely legal standpoint, Crestfall needs an entity beyond the reach of Blizzard to assume responsibility for the project.  The proverbial "russians" to hide behind.  Elysium fulfilled this purpose but at a cost due to their increasingly (at least to everyone outside of Crestfall's team) well known history of misconduct.  The owner needs to be simultaneously dishonest enough to circumvent legal challenges but honest enough to garner trust from the staff and the community.  Fortunately, the community has an almost imperceptible standard of trust.  After the first Elysium scandal, Crestfall pulled out of the LGN but many thousands of players continued to populate Elysium's servers and eventually, after things had sufficiently cooled down, Crestfall publicly returned to them as the savior of the project risen and reformed.  Publicly, because behind the scenes Crogge has always been the sysadmin here, he has been keeping the servers running, apparently he has a penchant for selling gold/characters, but he has been keeping the servers running.

Ultimately, just focus on development.  Regardless of your under-the-table arrangements to host the servers, if you release a quality product people will play there.  If people play there someone will figure out a way to make it profitable.  There's really no reason to worry about ownership at this time but if that remains a concern, just go underground.  In a few months or years when some hot new vanilla server releases with an unprecedented attention to detail, Blizzard will be none the wiser but we'll all know who to really thank for it.

now Asura will have even MORE trust issues

I had no idea about Crogge, though

edit: oh and by the way, with video games now being, so I read somewhere, legal in China, you should probably IP ban all of China from all but the VPN-allowed server

Edited by Aquane

I find it hilarious how many of the doomsayers are slowly and shamelessly crawling back

1 hour ago, d3joos said:

I find it hilarious how many of the doomsayers are slowly and shamelessly crawling back

(Oh how I love a good intreweb “I told you so!” So please forgive me for the following...)

why?

Hi Darkrasp,

I know I have no weight in this community you've built here seeing as this is my first post, but let's talk. Maybe we can work something out.

1 hour ago, illutian said:

Rome has burned. :\

And exactly how do you figure that?

Corruption was openly revealed at Elysium.  Most of their staff broke away and opened Light's Hope, old Elysium's attempt to re-open will probably fail since their playerbase moved to LH, and Crestfall dodged a huge bullet by separating themselves from Elysium before going live with their own servers.

The biggest challenge that Crestfall faces is finding hosting and a trustworthy sysadmin in a country where Big B's legal paperwork can be used as toilet paper.

I see some hurdles, but I definitely don't see the sky falling around us.  Patience and perseverance are what's needed for now, not directionless panic and doomsday predictions.

41 minutes ago, Grung said:

The biggest challenge that Crestfall faces is finding hosting and a trustworthy sysadmin in a country where Big B's legal paperwork can be used as toilet paper.

Heheh.

20 hours ago, d3joos said:

Everyone's "crawling back" to say this ofc:

:D

17 hours ago, Aquane said:

put a different name there

I was going to put Alexensual there first but figured people wouldn't like seeing him being mentioned even for silly purposes. :P

22 hours ago, d3joos said:

Mayhaps they're coming back because in their perspective the doom they were saying was Lolysium. And now that Lolysium is gone, so is their doom, so they can return.

45 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

Mayhaps they're coming back because in their perspective the doom they were saying was Lolysium. And now that Lolysium is gone, so is their doom, so they can return.

Doom reserves depleting?

54 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

:)

On 18/10/2017 at 5:34 AM, taubut said:

Hi Darkrasp,

I know I have no weight in this community you've built here seeing as this is my first post, but let's talk. Maybe we can work something out.

Simple posts like this are easily missed, there are people out there that may be interested in finding a solution that are not even commenting on the forums.  Removing the forums should be avoided at all costs IMO.  Looking forward to a @Darkrasp update soon :)

15 minutes ago, Wykeunchained said:

Simple posts like this are easily missed, there are people out there that may be interested in finding a solution that are not even commenting on the forums.  Removing the forums should be avoided at all costs IMO.  Looking forward to a @Darkrasp update soon :)

For example contact you and see what you could help me. because in my view you have intergrity and seams by your post being a good guy.

9 hours ago, Sherekhan said:

For example contact you and see what you could help me. because in my view you have intergrity and seams by your post being a good guy.

I dont see why there has to be a single owner, not an over-seeing group of people that ONLY have the responsibility for raising the funds, they would publish a list of donations and donor's via their account name, and if people wish to be anon they can.  Each donation would be registered as it happened, and the funds for running the realm are collected in a single spot.  The costs for the hosting would need to be provided with statement evidence monthly showing out-goings.  The coders have only then to do there job and spend the budget.   At all timers players can see the income and outgoing of the project, all managed by someone away from the dev or gm part of the project, they only deal with managing the finances.  Should there be profit, above and beyond costs a buffer is kept aside for 2 months additional costs, and anything above this goes directly to a charity in a donation.  This could be structured as a community project for no profit to raise money for a good cause.  The problem lies in charity status and the law :) I would guess blizz would leave alone a project that is proving its a non-profit structure and also working for a good cause. 

But that means all staff on the project must go into it knowing they will only get respect and thanks for their efforts.  GM logs would also have to be published in full, or indeed have the donations organizer's  audit them on a weekly basis with asura and darkrasp and other staff members. 

The other options are looking into finding a sponsor/owner that wants to take on working with the current team, this is not an easy thing to do as trust is a huge thing as we have all seen recently.

Someone earlier mentioned VoA talks, but I am not sure what progress you would get there but they are at least above board and pretty low drama.

The issue is darkrasp and asura have to decide for themselves, and they have to think long term and not being put back in this situation in 3 months and a bit closer to live.  I gave my opinions on the elysium deal at the time, I would hate for them to jump out of the frying pan into a bigger fire.

Edited by Wykeunchained

58 minutes ago, Wykeunchained said:

I dont see why there has to be a single owner, not an over-seeing group of people that ONLY have the responsibility for raising the funds, they would publish a list of donations and donor's via their account name, and if people wish to be anon they can.  Each donation would be registered as it happened, and the funds for running the realm are collected in a single spot.  The costs for the hosting would need to be provided with statement evidence monthly showing out-goings.  The coders have only then to do there job and spend the budget.   At all timers players can see the income and outgoing of the project, all managed by someone away from the dev or gm part of the project, they only deal with managing the finances.  Should there be profit, above and beyond costs a buffer is kept aside for 2 months additional costs, and anything above this goes directly to a charity in a donation.  This could be structured as a community project for no profit to raise money for a good cause.  The problem lies in charity status and the law :) I would guess blizz would leave alone a project that is proving its a non-profit structure and also working for a good cause. 

But that means all staff on the project must go into it knowing they will only get respect and thanks for their efforts.  GM logs would also have to be published in full, or indeed have the donations organizer's  audit them on a weekly basis with asura and darkrasp and other staff members. 

The other options are looking into finding a sponsor/owner that wants to take on working with the current team, this is not an easy thing to do as trust is a huge thing as we have all seen recently.

Someone earlier mentioned VoA talks, but I am not sure what progress you would get there but they are at least above board and pretty low drama.

The issue is darkrasp and asura have to decide for themselves, and they have to think long term and not being put back in this situation in 3 months and a bit closer to live.  I gave my opinions on the elysium deal at the time, I would hate for them to jump out of the frying pan into a bigger fire.

My view of VoA are positive. I like Killerwife and Laizerox I think they seam to have the right mindset. I would actualy play there if there server were PvP. 

39 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

Our options for mergers, partnerships and new ownership are still all on the table.  We aren't going to make any decisions right now, but rather just keep working on our own for a while and examine our options when we are closer to being ready for Open Beta.  We've had a number of groups and individuals reach out to us, all of whom have gotten the same response.

As far as financing goes, we can afford to cover all the costs of development prior to an official release announcement.  We have not accepted any money from anyone thus far, and we will not do so until we are required to scale up our operations for public use.  We intend that our financial situation and gamemaster logs will be very transparent.

Regarding the forums, it is an inevitability that they will be shut down and relocated, as they are currently still hosted by Crogge.  We are making an effort to archive the content which may or may not be possible to restore on a new host.  We'll do our best but no promises.

Thats good to hear. Keep up the good work. if i hade only skills for this line of work i would gladly hade helped. But as a history/social subject teacher i am of no help.

2 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Our options for mergers, partnerships and new ownership are still all on the table.  We aren't going to make any decisions right now, but rather just keep working on our own for a while and examine our options when we are closer to being ready for Open Beta.  We've had a number of groups and individuals reach out to us, all of whom have gotten the same response.

As far as financing goes, we can afford to cover all the costs of development prior to an official release announcement.  We have not accepted any money from anyone thus far, and we will not do so until we are required to scale up our operations for public use.  We intend that our financial situation and gamemaster logs will be very transparent.

Regarding the forums, it is an inevitability that they will be shut down and relocated, as they are currently still hosted by Crogge.  We are making an effort to archive the content which may or may not be possible to restore on a new host.  We'll do our best but no promises.

So the beta realm is still online and working? That's good to hear.