Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Darkrasp

Crestfall Status 10/16/2017

116 posts in this topic
12 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

To the second point, it's unfair to assume unwillingness when there are plenty of other reasonable explanations.  Blizzard themselves have struggled to prevent Chinese goldfarming on their retail realms, so the presence of Chinese goldfarmers doesn't necessarily point to complicity in their actions by the staff.  It could well be that neither of them had any real idea how to deal with it, or that dealing with it was just a lower priority than improving preformance, or just managing the day-to-day on a heavily overpopulated server.  It might be somewhat suspicious, but suspicion isn't enough to convince, much less convict.  Personally, I doubt there was any collusion.

Definitely hard to prove collusion, the most suspicious part about the ranking team ban was half of the TEAM (when you rank you play with the same team constantly, 12-18hrs a day, at least it was on Nost) was unbanned, while the rest of the same team remained banned. Why ban only half of the team when if you win trade honor (opening empty games) you surely do it as the whole team since those are the only people you play with. Either everyone is guilty or no-one is in a scenario like that, so why compromise with only half of them being banned? 
Of course, later on those characters (once they reached their target rank) were sold on like so many before them.

The industry for selling high rank accounts on Nostalrius was huge, and a lot of the time the 'professionals' used VPNs to play the characters for extended periods of time, making it somewhat hard to prove they were indeed account sharing, but still possible had they taken enough time to monitor activity on the accounts and characters.

I don't know who had the power to unban people on Nost, whether it was Daemon or Viper only or some of the senior GM's too, this particular case just struck me, along many others in the community of the time as very odd.

18 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Blizz basically pulled the old police con where they send out letters to people with outstanding warrants telling them they've won a free TV, and then just arrest them when they come to pick it up.  "Come meet us and talk to us, tell us about your project, then we can get your balls in a vise in person."

The only thing that doesn't add up about the meeting was the fact that Nost gave their core/database to Elysium some months later...you'd think (as I did) that the meeting was purely to prevent them from releasing or touching it ever again etc. by adding "we know your faces and where you live" to the threats.

21 minutes ago, Momonn said:

The only thing that doesn't add up about the meeting was the fact that Nost gave their core/database to Elysium some months later...you'd think (as I did) that the meeting was purely to prevent them from releasing or touching it ever again etc. by adding "we know your faces and where you live" to the threats.

Blizzard is owned by Activision, a publicly held company in the US.  It has to be understood they aren't a mafia and will comply with all US laws.  Their only "threat" is legal action on copyright infringement, of which is precisely what all private servers are.  They don't need to necessarily know who someone is or what they look like.  They just have yo file a legal greivance on their copyright infingement and let US authorities investigate.  The US authorities would be the ones to make threats after their investigation.

When Blizzard sends a C&D, it is just a warning shot, and a generous one at that, that they will file for an investigation and pursue legal actions if their requests aren't met.  To the people who run such private servers, I promise you they very much appreciate a C&D as a nice "please stop stealing our intellectual property" rather than just a direct leap into legal action against them.  

Blizzard may not be giving us what we want as far as legacy servers go, and I think it is BS personally.  But I mean come on, by all rights they could literally have put people in prison and ruined the lives of quite a few people and they haven't done so.  

So what happened? Last time I checked the forum they quit basically and went back to the "darkside" of shit servers...

I am deployed so checking on this is quite low on my to do list but on my to do list nevertheless..

Any info would be great.

-Hail

I have no idea how this works, but, assuming whitekidney can just copy/paste an entire server, what makes you think crogge's shady ass doesn't have literally everything you've done so far copied somewhere? With that foundation and core knowledge, could they not just open their own crestfall?

Also, with the Elysium situation, there are no benevolent parties. Whitekidney isn't some savior to the community who is in it for the benefit of us all. It's shitlord vs. shitlord. It's much more believable to think he saw how lucrative being the top dawg was and wanted to cut out the competition. Hell, it's more believable that this is all some bullshit ruse that they disguised as a coup, which took place due to unforeseen circumstances. 

Edited by Bluemoon

The state of Crestfall's core which Crogge has access to is not suitable for an open beta, much less immediate launch.  We still have a few critical core systems to implement, a large amount of core bugs to resolve, and hundreds of quest scripts to write.  Our team is working away diligently, such that even a two-week old core is now behind the current development by over a dozen core patches, a major networking rewrite, and I don't even know how many database updates and scripts.  Even so, the core in it's current state isn't ready for showtime yet.  It's getting there, but the point is that it can't just be fired up and launched, it will take hundreds if not thousands of hours more work (that's total time, split between all the contributors) before it has the level of polish we demand of ourselves, which is part of the reason we keep expanding our content and database teams, to divide that workload between as many hands as possible.

Furthermore, while we are no longer associated with Crogge professionally, it's hard to just turn around and hate someone who you've been working with, and who has been a solid supporter and member of the team, for literally ten years.  He made a choice that goes against the principles by which we run this project, and it meant we had to end our professional relationship with him, terminate his access to our assets, and remove him from the Crestfall team.  That doesn't mean we have hard feelings towards each other, or that we can't be civil with each other.  I trust him not to release anything that he knows we don't want released.

Edited by Darkrasp

On 10/29/2017 at 9:13 PM, Bluemoon said:

Also, with the Elysium situation, there are no benevolent parties. Whitekidney isn't some savior to the community who is in it for the benefit of us all. It's shitlord vs. shitlord. It's much more believable to think he saw how lucrative being the top dawg was and wanted to cut out the competition. Hell, it's more believable that this is all some bullshit ruse that they disguised as a coup, which took place due to unforeseen circumstances. 

At risk of being the "My Uncle Works for Nintendo..." guy, I've had conversations with Kidney and the LH team in general that makes this seem unlikely to me.  Kidney can't act without the others of their sysop triumvirate seeing what he's doing, and they're about to implement an even more severe and penetrating logging system that was literally inspired by Elysium's problem.  Expect an announcement on that in the coming weeks.

I'm trying to say, if it's a scam, most of them are in on it.   And after spending time chatting with them on Discord, I kind of doubt it.  There's real resentment among the staff that defected, and that tone is pretty much steering the ship.  I encourage you to show up and just lurk for a while.  You need to get to know these people on a personal level to make a sound judgment, which under the new administration is actually possible.

Edited by cybaster

That is some really naive thinking right there mate. Did Crogge sounded like a scam guy 2 months ago? That kidney guy is at least few times more the bastard, but he thought this for a long time to pull that scam, so don't think he didn't prepare. Some people can hide their true identity for a very long time - possibly forever in the internet. He was selling gold in elysium till the split, so he will continue to do so, just that he would like to bypass the companies and take all the profit.

3 hours ago, Joyman said:

Did Crogge sounded like a scam guy 2 months ago?

Actually yeah, he kind of did.  Maybe not definitively, but if you read between the lines it's at least not surprising.  Elysium pretty obviously had a lot of corrupt shit going down and as long as Shenna was involved it always would.  Crogge was deeply involved in the project and apparently romantically involved with Shenna.  All of that means he was at least aware of the corruption if not actively participating.  Some speculated that he was an inside man who could prevent the corruption when it counted but if he was dating/sleeping with Shenna, then there's a huge incentive to either ignore or help the corrupt activities.

Skepticism regarding a guy like whitekidney is good, but I'd trust him way before Crogge or Shenna.  I guess the proof will be in his transparency.  I don't particularly care either way.  I had a level 20 on Elysium and may not even play on light's hope.  I just hope Crestfall learns from this and shows better judgment in the future.  Their decision making was proven flawed twice now and against all reasonable advice by the community.

Any dealings I had with Crogge went pretty well, he always came across well in conversations and seemed a decent skin. He might have been a bit slow to respond to stuff from time to time, but there were plenty of people like that as it was, so effectively it was a norm. There was absolutely nothing apparent that indicated he was any more trustworthy than anyone else involved in this project. I was active when White Kidney came along and it was clear that the level of trust for him was at a far lower bar. 

There is no way you can gauge people on the internet, in fact, conrissidering how long Crogge has been around CF, you can't gauge people in RL either. Something about Pservers brings about the worst in people. Trusting someone like Crogge, Shenna or Whitekidney is foolish to the extreme. All past indications are that it will end in tears. Whether CF suffers the same fate remains to be seen. Most of the bad decisions are from naivety, innocence or gullibility. None of which are a crime.

Truth be told I went off Crogge shortly before I left. On the Discord channel he intimated that he had treated some women really badly, but only because ''they deserved it''. From my perspective that's completely unacceptable.

you know, I wouldn't be too surprised if blizzard was also in on chinese gold farming money

that way they get to make money by selling gold without lots of people quitting the game because of it, and without the game being branded as P2W

when retail WoW eventually does go P2W though, expect them to at least hesitate to sell gold, and if they do, to put it at a higher price than the chinese and such are currently selling it for

Edited by Aquane

16 hours ago, Outstanding said:

Truth be told I went off Crogge shortly before I left. On the Discord channel he intimated that he had treated some women really badly, but only because ''they deserved it''. From my perspective that's completely unacceptable.

Because women tend to get leniency for almost all crap they do they tend to play with men's feelings way more than we do with them and it is quite ok for me to treat some woman badly if she did same to me before. And by treat her badly I mean verbally, not physically. The extreme tolerance is even worse than no tolerance at all. See what is happening to Europe now.

4 hours ago, Joyman said:

Because women tend to get leniency for almost all crap they do they tend to play with men's feelings way more than we do with them and it is quite ok for me to treat some woman badly if she did same to me before. And by treat her badly I mean verbally, not physically. The extreme tolerance is even worse than no tolerance at all. See what is happening to Europe now.

this ain't(and shouldn't be) SJW territory, but you still shouldn't bring up touchy politics unless you're complaining about a current Crestfall staff member and its relevant(like complaining about an SJW GM, should there be one), or if you're just on the off-topic forums

I am open-minded enough to allow myself to see your points though, unlike some people

Edited by Aquane

Can we get more ETA and less sexism plz ?

Edited by Xxm

14 hours ago, Xxm said:

Can we get more ETA and less sexism plz ?

in my house that means Estimated Time of Argument when it comes to wow, enrage timers in RL are worth paying attention to