Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mogri

Which mount options do tauren have in vanilla wow?

Hi Guys,

I was talking about classic wow with a friend of mine the other day and we had some good nostalgia time doing so. During our chat the question came up which mounts are availlable for tauren in vanilla wow and i realised that i couldn't give a definitive answer. Not sure if they can ride only kodos or both kodos & wolves.

I guess you guys can help me with this question ;)

greetings and thanks in advance!

I remember grinding reputation for Orgrimmar to get the wolf for my Druid, so yes, they were able to ride wolves. But I'm not sure if this was a feature from the start or later added in a patch.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Tauren_(playable) 

Mounts Edit

Because of their size, tauren used to have the most restricted selection of mounts of any race. Among the racial mount vendors, the tauren could only use the their own kodo and the orc's dire wolf. From the racial PvP mounts, they could also select the troll's raptor. Mounts beyond these must be hardier, because the ones available to the Horde can all bear a tauren. Oddly, the tauren had no restrictions on flying mounts. These restrictions were lifted in patch 3.0.8.

Fun fact: way back in the beta, Tauren did not have mounts, but instead had a racial skill called 'Plainsrunning', which was basically an awful alpha version of the Worgen 'Running Wild', which Cataclysm gave birth to. It was removed in patch 1.1 due to issues, which included: 

The fact that mounts were a 3 second cast time, and lasted until dazed. Players don't dismount due to standing still. However, it wasn't like this for Tauren. It took the full 10 seconds to gain the speed every time, and it would go away whenever hit (or possibly just going into combat could remove it). Furthermore, if the player stopped moving, the buff would disappear and it would take another 10 seconds to reapply it. Those limitations were designed to make sure Tauren wouldn't run in circles around others in PvP, but the skill clearly showed to be far inferior to a normal mount, and more or less impossible to balance. As a final slap, it would sometimes kick in at the worst possible moment, causing unwanted body pulls.

Blizzard's solution to these problems? These beauties:

Kodos.png 

Edited by Ingwaz

You can use this webarchive link to view the different racial requirements for the horde and alliance mounts in vanilla.  There were some restrictions that most people are not aware of like that Mechanostriders could only be ridden by Gnomes and Dwarves and as was already mentioned, Taurens could only use kodos and dire wolves.

iremember being so sad not being able to use mechanostrider for my human chars back in the days :(

15 hours ago, Scylla said:

most people are not aware of like that Mechanostriders could only be ridden by Gnomes and Dwarves

most people

not aware

It's time to cancel this reality.