Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clavus

Official Blizzard Classic Servers

28 posts in this topic

Is this real life?

Blizzard making legacy servers for real?

1:50:00

Edited by Clavus

Time to see if the Private Server community is true to their word. Will they ditch the private servers for official ones? I know I will. I'll see you guys there.

38 minutes ago, Elicas said:

See you on the real servers guys.

I'll do a /wave should we meet on Aggramar :D

1 hour ago, Elicas said:

I might be wrong, but there are probably going to be regional and language specific servers again. Although I'm going to use the english client I will most definitely play on a server where the people speak my language. So, a meeting is very unlikely.

That's be best news I've heard for the last few years. Congratulations to all of us. Maybe we'll meet on a battleground some day. I promise to /wave and /kiss :)

I'm 99% sure that Blizzard Activision will screw it up. I'm 99% sure it will be not "true vanilla experience".

52 minutes ago, duzyizly said:

I'm 99% sure that Blizzard Activision will screw it up. I'm 99% sure it will be not "true vanilla experience".

They're trying to be as authentic as they possibly can. Also the fact that Blizzard doesn't care how many players classic will have seems like they are not only in it for the money. Obviously they want some money but we'll have to wait and see!

2 hours ago, Victoria said:

They're trying to be as authentic as they possibly can. Also the fact that Blizzard doesn't care how many players classic will have seems like they are not only in it for the money. Obviously they want some money but we'll have to wait and see!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-04-wow-classic-blizzard-answers-some-of-the-big-questions

We've got some infrastructure stuff in place. We've got an old build that's up and running that we're using for reference. Most of this job is going to be infrastructure: making sure everything can work on a more modern setup.

Modern ; (

21 minutes ago, duzyizly said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-04-wow-classic-blizzard-answers-some-of-the-big-questions

We've got some infrastructure stuff in place. We've got an old build that's up and running that we're using for reference. Most of this job is going to be infrastructure: making sure everything can work on a more modern setup.

Modern ; (

Brack is clear that using modern server architecture doesn’t mean that these Classic servers will have the same features that current World of Warcraft does. There won’t be cross-realm servers or Looking For Raid and Dungeon Finder automatic party matchmaking. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-blizzard-plans-to-finally-bring-back-vanilla-wow-servers/?utm_content=bufferc6313&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

49 minutes ago, duzyizly said:

Modern ; (

"Do you think there'll be a line to walk for the team, then? Somewhere between creating that authentic experience that people have asked for, while also figuring out what doesn't make sense anymore? For example, with the Intellect buff, is it important to you that players do need to drink after casting it?

J. Allen Brack: Yes. That's part of the level 60 experience. Our goal is to recreate that classic 1-60 gameplay. Some things changed as time went on, with different patches. How does that get manifested? That's one of the outstanding questions. But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse."

Source

You can relax! It's all good!

I think they do not have a choice but to go all in on this one. The target audience (read: new revenue) are people who are currently playing on private servers or Vanilla/BC/WotLK fans who aren't playing at all and therefore not paying. Speculating for them to pay again for WoW and then not delivering the exact same game experience that they long for, would imho be quite stupid. This target audience will be back in the private server scene faster than Blizzard can say ice cream.

The retail people are definitely not going to be a sustainable audience for Classic, no matter what quality of life elements Blizzard might implement.

Edited by Murok
typos

22 hours ago, Elicas said:

sounds legit!

just...... when? :D

50 minutes ago, Mogri said:

sounds legit!

just...... when? :D

My guess is spring/summer 2019. 

Edited by Activisionboogeyman

13 hours ago, Victoria said:

J. Allen Brack: Yes. That's part of the level 60 experience. Our goal is to recreate that classic 1-60 gameplay. Some things changed as time went on, with different patches. How does that get manifested? That's one of the outstanding questions. But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse."

Did that motherfucker just slyly reference the Crestfall forums?

On 4. 11. 2017 at 3:06 PM, duzyizly said:

Modern ; (

Well how else would they integrate it into their insufferable launcher so you can open it on your fridge's LCD panel? Running games through .exe is soooo 2005. Now we're in the future, where you click on icons in totally redundant programs!

Please don't get your hopes up. This is quite clever move for blizzard to announce next crappy expansion and put that they will make vanilla. But with the last track record with them - last 10 years(or so) no good game they made, I am extremely hesitant to say the least. I think they will make the game with current engine, models, infrastructure, embedded shop, facebook, twitter and all that crap and it won't be the same game. Also somewhere I read there will be no progressive servers, just servers for each expac or something, which is not what I want to play. I hate new models with passion and I don't wanna pay blizz after all that crap they brought and that smug "You think you do, but you don't" guy will be the project manager probably - guess what - he doesn't give a flying crap for old wow - so he will make it crap, but before you realize they will swim in money - because at least half of private server population is in ecstasy and want to buy the new exp just to show "appreciation" of their decision to bring vanilla. Four years ago I would applaud them for trying to do this, but now its their last try to get money from the franchise. Smart move would be to outsource wow to some passionate people who love the game, not those corporate fucks that work there now.

1 hour ago, Joyman said:

Please don't get your hopes up. This is quite clever move for blizzard to announce next crappy expansion and put that they will make vanilla. But with the last track record with them - last 10 years(or so) no good game they made, I am extremely hesitant to say the least. I think they will make the game with current engine, models, infrastructure, embedded shop, facebook, twitter and all that crap and it won't be the same game. Also somewhere I read there will be no progressive servers, just servers for each expac or something, which is not what I want to play. I hate new models with passion and I don't wanna pay blizz after all that crap they brought and that smug "You think you do, but you don't" guy will be the project manager probably - guess what - he doesn't give a flying crap for old wow - so he will make it crap, but before you realize they will swim in money - because at least half of private server population is in ecstasy and want to buy the new exp just to show "appreciation" of their decision to bring vanilla. Four years ago I would applaud them for trying to do this, but now its their last try to get money from the franchise. Smart move would be to outsource wow to some passionate people who love the game, not those corporate fucks that work there now.

You make too many assumptions. All info we have is that  they will try to recreate the original experience, including lack of QoL stuff.

Where did you read it will not progressive through expacs? I didn't find that quote anywhere.

Edited by loeth

On 11/6/2017 at 3:30 PM, loeth said:

You make too many assumptions. All info we have is that  they will try to recreate the original experience, including lack of QoL stuff.

Where did you read it will not progressive through expacs? I didn't find that quote anywhere.

About the PTE, a friend told me that he read it somwhere, it may be PTE, we will see. The thing is though I do not trust blizzard anymore, they promised each year or so great new expac, at least two times returning to their roots with WoD and Legion and they never did. So if they make it completely like it was before I may try it.

On 11/6/2017 at 6:00 AM, Joyman said:

Four years ago I would applaud them for trying to do this, but now its their last try to get money from the franchise. Smart move would be to outsource wow to some passionate people who love the game, not those corporate fucks that work there now.

Thats the irony though, whether you see it or not.  Blizzard is a subsidiary of a publically held company. They aren't in the business of charity projects or fan favorites.  They will only do projects with high likelihood of monetary returns, significant returns at that. The only reason they would spend the capital required to make this happen is if their is a large enough financial potential in the project to outweigh potential profits of other projects that would have used to same resources.  Enough people, for a long enough time, have clamoured for this project loud enough that Blizzard finally decided that the demand is real, the dedication is real, the staying power is real, and the potential for a profitable enterprise is likely greater (or more assurred) than investing in a new/unproven venture.  This is capitalism and free markets at its finest.  Demand being met by a supplier due to the existence of a series of mutually beneficial transactions. 

On 2017. 11. 06. at 1:00 PM, Joyman said:

passionate people who love the game

It is most likely going to be that. The team working on vanilla will be completely seperate from the one working on the retail servers (BfA). They have clearly stated this. One can only assume then that the people recruited are going to be interested and passionate about cookies&cream vanilla as a whole.