Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Open Letter from a Private Server Dev

Well said, Darkrasp. I think similar to you and I believe that it will take at least 6-12 month for them to announce the release date. (as you said it will be a big project)

+1

Huge work will be done till we have vanilla wow 1. or 2 years till we get our hand on game.

Edited by Hamilton

A solid reply @Darkrasp and I dont think I strongly disagree with you on anything really. 

My biggest concern is realm size and I think this cannot be emphasized enough.  The retail realms were restricted by technology to a large degree, I dont think they should really push too far beyond what they were.  I question this as I have played on small and HUGE realms in the private scene and I do think once you go beyond about 3-4k peaks then the sense of community starts to diminish and the toxicity levels in game and on forums can be a bad thing.  I would like to see them look at this area very carefully, because having an very populated realm also has some benefits as players of nostalrius can testify to.   If there are no cross realm BG's then having a cap of around 5k means not only is there more activity than retail vanilla but there is also still a chance to be a realm hero.  Its about finding a balance between having 24/7 activity while still having that community feel.

For me another concern is changing the mechanics of classes or encounters.  I think these should also not be changed, perhaps bosses could get normal patch style buffs and nerf's if required but that is post launch rather than from the get go.  Once realms are live there will be data to show issues such as all content being consumed far too easily, if there is any form of testing done then they will obviously know that they can get away with a 5% hp buff on all raids  and if its something as universal as that I dont think there would be too many complaints even from the purists.

I personally think the UI will get a complete update, as it is clunky as pretty useless in its original form.  Just bringing it up to date with normal levels of customization an versatility I think should be expected, and for players it means not having to use UI addons.  I see no reason Blizz cannot even use things like this as a "cash-cow" by allowing players to purchase official UI skins and options, Blizz in game shop will certainly appear one day ;)

So a good post and I wish to god someone at Blizz is employed to just sit on discord and chat to the people that have been doing this for a decade.  Blizz knows about the code, and the law and the economics, what I worry is that they dont understand the underlying community.  Looking at reddit every one of us is a passion driven 6yr old with behavioral issues, yet there are people with a wealth of experience and understanding around.  I have had many good discussions with staff from many realms over the years.  There is no reason they cant ask advice from people like asura, gummy ect as well as keep talking with the Nostalrius staff.  More opinions and experiences cannot do any harm.

I have been reading so much the last few days and there is SO many opinions being thrown around and usually with insults and trolling thrown in the mix.  Where were these voices in the last 10 years?  Were they just "playing retail" without considering private realms, did they quit and move silently on to other games, did they love the game so much they played private realms with the risk of losing there achievements in game with no warning and regularly.  The point is Blizz has to listen to ALL of them, because they are a business and they will build a picture from various demographics and work out the most profitable way to handle the final destination.  It could be that they really will ignore all the requests for changes and will just throw out Blizzards version of nostalrius with a 1.12 client and build and release content on a schedule, but they could do many many things beyond that.

I think for the next few months we will hear nothing at all, probably the next news will come at next years Blizzcon with a release date, some huge trailer and maybe details of what they are going to be doing about classic realms. 

The speculation will continue, I will just carry on gaming on private realms until there is something new to talk about, but I am both delighted by the news and very nervous about the future.  It may well be I never end up playing retail classic realms, so I am going to just keep on like I was before trying not to get my hopes up.  TBH now I think about it there is not much difference between crestfall and retail :D  Maybe azura can set personal challenge to try and release before Blizz?  Can that be the new deadline.... release before Blizz or call it quits?

EDIT: with permission I will post this thread and original post on https://www.reddit.com/r/LegacyRealms/ for more exposure

Edited by Wykeunchained
add comment

2 hours ago, Wykeunchained said:

I am both delighted by the news and very nervous about the future.  It may well be I never end up playing retail classic realms, so I am going to just keep on like I was before trying not to get my hopes up

3 hours ago, Wykeunchained said:

EDIT: with permission I will post this thread and original post on https://www.reddit.com/r/LegacyRealms/ for more exposure

Go for it, no credit is requested by me.  I just wanted to put that out there to hopefully clear up some misinformation.

8 hours ago, Wykeunchained said:

Maybe azura can set personal challenge to try and release before Blizz?  Can that be the new deadline.... release before Blizz or call it quits?

Considering CF still hasnt pushed the plan to launch in 2017, one can only hope it launches before blizzard does.....right?

Figured I would write a quick follow-up considering how much traffic the original is getting.

Ok, well, that post got a lot more legs than I ever thought it would, and I've seen the comments from a couple sources.  First of all, I'm grateful to everyone who stuck through reading what was a pretty long and rambling letter, and for taking the time to post your thoughts and opinions.  I figure it would be appropriate to make a short response to clarify a few points:

First, I'm still not a professional software engineer.  That's true, but I have been working with Vanilla/TBC for several years, and I have a fairly strong understanding of how they work under the hood.  I purposely avoided going into technical details because the letter was meant to be understood by the layman.  I regret rephrasing Client and Server Opcodes as "packets", in fact I regret mentioning them at all.  What I was trying to get at was that the old client and server code are *really* outdated.  This is from both from a functionality standpoint (bnet, authenticator, smooth movement, etc.), and from a code efficiency standpoint (almost 20 years of improvements to C++).  It makes sense that they will either create a new client or backport the current one.  This will be a big job and a tedious one, but it's not incredibly difficult for a team of professionals.  Several other people have done a much better job than I of explaining this point in considerable detail, so I'm grateful to them for that.

Secondly, I tried to avoid including my own personal opinions into the topic of QoL and tuning changes.  My intention was to point out and clarify a few areas of contention, several common proposals for addressing them, and (hopefully) politely and impartially frame a conversation about those topics.  Including my own opinions wouldn't have accomplished that.  I do have thoughts on each of the points mentioned, among others, but I don't assume that I speak for the majority and didn't want to come off seeming like I did.  In re-reading it, I see that I let a few things slip, and I apologize for that.  (Except for the bit about the Honor System.  That really is a torturous design.)  The proposed solutions I included come from my experience and interaction with the rabidly pro-Vanilla private server community, and represent several (but not all) of their preferred methods for recreating the experience they want.  Consensus on *any* of the issues is hard to reach.

I don't really have anything else to add to the topic without expressing personal beliefs, so again I thank everyone who took the time to read and reply.  Here's hoping for a fun nostalgia trip when the realms go live.

7 hours ago, Yavannie said:

The EU version of this post got a blue response :)

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17617076947

my US thread is at over 100 likes, mmochampion repost has a lot of views/comments, over 150 upvotes on r/classicwow as well.  Darkrasp is the hero of classic wow ^_^

Edited by Scylla

14 hours ago, Scylla said:

my US thread is at over 100 likes, mmochampion repost has a lot of views/comments, over 150 upvotes on r/classicwow as well.  Darkrasp is the hero of classic wow ^_^

scylla would you please post in the EU thread what I posted,after the line that says CONTENT: , at the bottom of page 1 of

the blue post in that EU thread did state "Please keep the conversation rolling, and bounce around your ideas.", so I assume that my post isn't out of place there, and it'd actually get read by actiblizz

edit: i have no wow character anymore though, and i'd rather not dig up the CD keys and disks to do it; and i presume from your reply you can only do it if you're EU, thx anyway

Edited by Aquane

1 hour ago, Aquane said:

scylla would you please post in the EU thread what I posted,after the line that says CONTENT: , at the bottom of page 1 of

the blue post in that EU thread did state "Please keep the conversation rolling, and bounce around your ideas.", so I assume that my post isn't out of place there, and it'd actually get read by actiblizz

You don't need an active sub to make comments, only for new threads. Just need an acc and a character and I only have US stuff anyway

5 hours ago, Activisionboogeyman said:

hoping blizzard changing something in classic

Don't we all? Means more people for CF 284777351081099264.png.