Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Yacopok

Boomkin 101, Pre-raid BiS, Consums, Enchants & Talents

Hey there,

For those few of you who will decide to play as a Balance Druid on Vanilla content I have made this list back when I raided as a Boomie on Nostalrius with good results. For the past week I have been doing research to find out what items that are going to be available in game right off the start should be considered Pre-Raid BiS, a list of enchants and consumables. If you have see any items or you have any information you think should be in this guide please do not hesitate to comment or message me.

In order to optimize your gear I recommed farming rep with every PvP faction which I will list in here as Pre-Raid BiS, if you do not wish to pvp you are not going to be able to have the optimal gear at the release of the server. PvP Rank rewards are not be included, it's a grind enough to get all this gear so a lot of people might not feel like grinding 24/7 in order to get high enough rank for more upgrades. If you do so, it's really a no brainer as to what is an upgrade for you and what's not.

Some of the gear, consumables and enchants listed will not be available right away, however items you should use before that are listed as well, and there should be no confusion.

Pre-Raid BiS:

List Of General Consumables:

List Of Consumables Not Available At Start:

List Of Specific Fight Consumables:

No matter what gear you are currently wearing, always enchant it. Being a 'Caster's Buff' is not enough, help your guild out and contribute as much as you can. You are even likely to shame a lot of other casters who are too lazy to enchant their gear because they are an 'actual dps class', so they don't put enough effort into raiding.

Enchants:

I have tried multiple variations of how to spend your talents and talked to a number of people that have played the game a lot longer than myself. I came to the conclusion that the talent tree from the link below is the most optimal for Moonkins:

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#0x0xIMEstZxxc

Here is also a link to my character from Nostalrius Begins:

http://realmplayers.com/CharacterViewer.aspx?realm=NRB&player=Yacopok

To view all raids simply click on my old guilds name 'Last Stand' and go to 'View recorded raids on RaidStats' or simple press this link http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidList.aspx?realm=NRB&guild=Last Stand

If you have any questions or suggestions as to how I can improve this post, please do not hesitate to message me or leave a comment.

All the best in game!

Yacopok

Edited by Yacopok
Updated entire list + added links to everything.

70% of your gear won't be available for months. I'd at least put effort into updating it to match pre-diremaul and pre-ZG gear. 

ZG won't be out for awhile and Diremaul is only coming out about a month before BWL. 

Edited by MadeByRockets

A solid first draft, but it needs some review. This is the current timeline;

Release (1.1.2): 8 debuff slot limit. Release with Maraudon available.
(1.3.0) - Dire Maul & associated quests released.

(1.3.0) - Kazzak and Azuregos released.
(1.5.0) - Release Alterac Valley BG.
(1.6.0) - BWL released.
(1.8.0) - Dragons of Nightmare and Silithus revamp.
(1.7.0) - ZG released. 16 debuff slot limit implemented.
(1.9.0 world event only) - Start War Effort.
(1.9.0) - AQ 20 & 40 released.
(1.10.0) - Tier 0.5 quest line activated.
(1.11.0) - Naxxramas released.
(2.0.1) - PTE to TBC.

Now, we don't know exactly when the patches are going to drop, and they've said they are going to group some patch releases together such as 1.5 and 1.6 dropping as one patch. However, you need to factor in;

Dire Maul wont release til after Onyxia and MC are cleared. Silithus gear and the zone revamp is a minimum of 4 patches away from launch. ZG is a minimum of 5 patches away from launch. Currently this is in a similar state to a Feenix late game pre-raid BiS guide. Also, none of the gear you have listed has a db link.

I'm not super knowledgeable on Boomkins, so I wont critique the post beyond that.

Props for going the Hybrid route though.

I will actually stay resto until ZG releases this time. Raiding MC with 0% hit isn't that much fun :<

dont worry druid friends.

if you get shunned by guilds for wanting to be feral or boomkin dont worry.

I'll be your Resto druid friend here.

Resto is very fun when playing around with all the hybrid builds.

I may go the Hotw feral/resto build at the start to tank dungeons/offtank during gearing phase as well as assist dmg/healing.

knowing how guilds progress from fresh 60s, druids come in handy to make up from that lack of geared warrior tanks just because of their HP pool. 

Edited by imbaslap

Yeah, it will be relatively easy to get a guild spot at the start when people are farming 10 man LBRS for UBRS keys and starting to put together MC teams, once you have the spot, as long as you prove you're not a total waste of space, you're in.

Is there any type of spreadsheet to simulate dps? Something like this, that Guybrush made from Nos/Kronos? The best I've been able to do is look at the few Moonkin parses on things like Realmplayers and Kronos Logs and compare them to Mages/Warlocks. Undoubtedly even when you factor in the 3% crit aura to party, a Moonkin is still overall a raid dps loss. But if the raid is only losing 100-150 dps, I think arguments could be made about Battle Res making up for this difference. Obviously the majority of Vanilla raids are easy and hybrids can easily succeed in them, but I like to look at things from a min/max perspective. I have this hunch that Moonkin scale rather decently past BWL/ZG with world buffs due to Nature's Grace and would love to play around with a spreadsheet/gear.

Also I was curious what a pre-raid set would look like with the pre-buffed gear / naxx patch gear not in and came up with:

Head: Crimson Felt Hat
Neck: Gemshard Heart or Tooth of Gnarr
Shoulder: Burial Shawl > Kentic Amice
Back: Archivist Cape of Arcane Wrath > +arcane damage boe or Hinterlands Elite quest cloak if horde
Chest: Flamestrider Robes > Robes of the Royal Crown
Wrist: +arcane damage or any tier 0
Hands: Hands of Power
Waist: Thuzadin Sash > Clutch of Andros
Legs: Skyshroud Leggings
Boots: Omnicast Boots
Ring: Songstone of Ironforge
Ring: Maiden's Circle > Cyclopean Band
Trinket: Briarwood Reed
Trinket: Eye of the Beast
Weapon: Witchblade + Spirit of Aquementas

Edited by Sona

On 8/1/2016 at 11:23 PM, MadeByRockets said:

70% of your gear won't be available for months. I'd at least put effort into updating it to match pre-diremaul and pre-ZG gear. 

ZG won't be out for awhile and Diremaul is only coming out about a month before BWL. 

Indeed ZG will not be out for quite some time. I have not researched gear for replacement of the Bloodvine set, neither for the Dire Maul drops, but I have been clear about some gear not being available as this post was originally made for Nostalrius Begins PvP realm.

I will do more research on that later and you can be sure that the list will be updated before the server is officially released. Thanks to Sona's reply and the timeline shared by Elicas I have a lot of good leads that I will look into in the near future after I complete the Resto Druid guide I'm making.

On 8/3/2016 at 6:21 PM, Thomaszine said:

I will actually stay resto until ZG releases this time. Raiding MC with 0% hit isn't that much fun :<

Is probably a good idea. Although it might be hard for you to be allowed by your guild to switch from a healer to a caster and still keep your raid spot. With how the Crestfall team is planning to buff raid content at first having a Moonkin will benefit very little as everyone will try to optimize dps in order to progress through content. Balance Druids will not be able to compete with other classes when it comes to dps until they have their BiS BWL gear.

On 8/10/2016 at 6:43 PM, Sona said:

Is there any type of spreadsheet to simulate dps? Something like this, that Guybrush made from Nos/Kronos? The best I've been able to do is look at the few Moonkin parses on things like Realmplayers and Kronos Logs and compare them to Mages/Warlocks. Undoubtedly even when you factor in the 3% crit aura to party, a Moonkin is still overall a raid dps loss. But if the raid is only losing 100-150 dps, I think arguments could be made about Battle Res making up for this difference. Obviously the majority of Vanilla raids are easy and hybrids can easily succeed in them, but I like to look at things from a min/max perspective. I have this hunch that Moonkin scale rather decently past BWL/ZG with world buffs due to Nature's Grace and would love to play around with a spreadsheet/gear.

As I said I hate doing the math. I was given a shot while I raided on Nostalrius and from experience I can tell you, Boomkin can be a real caster dps. The damage will still be quite random even later on with BWL gear. If you lose your world buffs (Onyxia head, heart of Hakkar, Songflower) you're pretty much screwed it terms on competing with others in dps, because you rely on criting more than other caster classes due to the Nature's Grace talent. Yet even without those buffs, a geared Boomkin will deal decent damage and not look completely horrible on the meters. To add to the argument of bringing a Balance Druid is his talent tree. It contains many of the talents of the Moonglow spec for Resto Droods. Imagine a couple of healers dying in an encounter. A Boomkin with even 200 +spell dmg (which is also +healing ofc) can step in and help out quite effectively, possibly even making the difference between a wipe and a kill.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and imput. I am planning on improving the guide soon, with all the new information I got and doing more reseach.

You going to be posting the update to your OP gear list soon? Be interesting to see what you've come up with.

The guide is complete for server opening. However, most likely I will not be updating this guide through later patches. After playing as a Boomkin for over 15 months I want to play other classes, and I'm not a person that tends to have a lot of level 60s on vanilla server. If someone wishes to take the content of this guide and create their own as Crestfall progresses through patches, I strongly encourage that, but will not support their guides in any way other than the information about Balance Druids I have provided so far in this thread.

45 minutes ago, Yacopok said:

The guide is complete for server opening. However, most likely I will not be updating this guide through later patches. After playing as a Boomkin for over 15 months I want to play other classes, and I'm not a person that tends to have a lot of level 60s on vanilla server. If someone wishes to take the content of this guide and create their own as Crestfall progresses through patches, I strongly encourage that, but will not support their guides in any way other than the information about Balance Druids I have provided so far in this thread.

Thanks for the guide, it's not something I could of written.

Could probably do with a section based around optimal DPS throughput, mob resistances and spell usage for end game dungeons and all raids, and possibly some input regarding balance FF vs Feral FF spreading. Otherwise, it looks pretty complete.