Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Outstanding

Getting your Big Iron Fishing Pole

So, simple topic, won't take long to run through. As a sidebar, sometimes people are reluctant to post threads on these kinds of forums because they are under the impression that what interests them doesn't cater for anybody else. They might be under the impression that you need to be a hardcore player, or practised in theory-crafting, or programming skills.

No.

Trust me on this. Post whatever you want. This is a great community and we need thread starters on any and all topics related to WoW. Hey! Don't worry about your English skills. It's my first language and half the time people haven't a clue what I'm on about. Including this thread. Probably.

Mary+1.jpg

Big Iron Fishing Pole is a +20 BiS :P for all your fishing needs until the release of Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza in Patch 1.7 (Zul'Gurub/Arathi Basin). As this is won't be released for 4-6 months one assumes, and the reward, Nat Pagle's Extreme Angler FC-5000 is only +25 with just one being awarded every week, maximum, this is likely to be your best fishing pole until TBC. Therefore, well worth hunting one down.

For those not in the know, maxing your fishing skill by any means possible is critical to ensure you maximise <deleted> from <deleted> in <deleted>* particularly if in direct competition from other anglers.

The fishing pole is a rare drop from opening Shellfish traps located in The Veiled Sea just off Shadowprey Village here:

Shellfish%20Trap%20%20%20Objects%20%20%2

For Alliance, not the easiest of farming jobs, it's a long run from Nijel's Point and it's particularly difficult in PvP realms, as not only are you in a Horde quest hub area, one of their quests is actually opening up these shellfish pots. Best to be done on quiet times. If you're not a Warlock or a Druid or some other fancy water-breather get some potions to tide you over. It's best to go in a circle around the pots. Always take whatever is in the pot regardless of worth so that it respawns. The drop chance is 1:100 so you are likely to be there for 2-3 hours on average. So if you are taking water-breathing pots, take 3-4 just in case.

For Horde, same as above but life is a lot easier location-wise, make sure you pick up this quest to maximise your time. Undead have a distinct advantage....  

Protips - If using Gatherer, it *should* mark where the shellfish traps are, this is server and version dependent. There are air bubble vents around but in my opinion, this tends to distract and delay optimised farming. You can vendor the fishing poles on the AH for a reasonable amount depending on the economy. In Nost PvE they were about 15-20 gold, alliance side. I suspect they would be cheaper on the Horde side, so if you can farm the gold in a shorter time than 2-3 hours you'll need for the shellfish traps, this may be a better option. 

*What's with all the <deleted> stuff?

There is a Fishing community in WoW. The true anglers respect the profession (never a secondary skill) and so even on PvP realms, won't attack each other. There are rules and regulations. One is, never fish from another angler's fishing pool, it's just plain rude. Another one is not to share trade secrets. Big Iron Fishing Pole is pretty well known as they always turn up in the AH. But other stuff stays <deleted>

937877-artwork-fantasy-art-fishing-snow-

32 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

The drop chance is 1:100 so you are likely to be there for 2-3 hours on average. So if you are taking water-breathing pots, take 3-4 just in case.

Damn that low? I remember farming these back in retail vanilla and got 2-3/hour. I recall this so strongly because I was such a lazy fuck that I didn't even get any water potions when farming them and just swam to the breathing pockets down below. Doesn't Horde get a <deleted> from a <deleted> in the Hinterlands though?

Edit: I do hope that Darkwood Fishing Pole can be acquired here : )

Edited by Soyoen
Fisherman's friend

7 minutes ago, Soyoen said:

Damn that low? I remember farming these back in retail vanilla and got 2-3/hour. I recall this so strongly because I was such a lazy fuck that I didn't even get any water potions when farming them and just swam to the breathing pockets down below. Doesn't Horde get a better fishing pole from a -snip- in the Hinterlands though?

Yes, I think Outstanding is slightly confused on this one xD

The Fishing Extravaganza rewards the Arcanite Fishing Pole, which gives +35 to fishing - should you choose it (unless you're a druid I'd recommend getting Hook of the Master Angler).

The FC-5000 with the +25 bonus is indeed a rather ordinary Horde quest reward.

24 minutes ago, Soyoen said:

Damn that low? I remember farming these back in retail vanilla and got 2-3/hour. I recall this so strongly because I was such a lazy fuck that I didn't even get any water potions when farming them and just swam to the breathing pockets down below. Doesn't Horde get a <deleted> from a <deleted> in the Hinterlands though?

Edit: I do hope that Darkwood Fishing Pole can be acquired here : )

Dammit you're right, I completely forgot about that one. Still, haven't been horde since 2008 so I have an excuse!

Darwkood I knew about, I read that is was actually a super-rare drop from Worgen in Duskwood, but seeing as even as a fishing rare it's only +15, doesn't compare with the Big Iron version in terms of time outlay.

Edited by Outstanding

14 minutes ago, Arthas said:

Yes, I think Outstanding is slightly confused on this one xD

The Fishing Extravaganza rewards the Arcanite Fishing Pole, which gives +35 to fishing - should you choose it (unless you're a druid I'd recommend getting Hook of the Master Angler).

The FC-5000 with the +25 bonus is indeed a rather ordinary Horde quest reward.

Corrector in chief has arrived? Actually I am not so certain this is the case. The Arcanite version was released in 1.12 right? Whereas the FC-5000 was the version released in 1.7 with the actual event. 

Why don't we petition the devs to ensure they release the Arcanite version for the fishing event as 1) Not really a game-breaker and 2) makes it worthwhile getting if you already have the cheesy horde reward from <deleted> I saw what you did there!!! @Soyoen@Arthas

PS. Thanks guys, great to see fishing buddies out there. Looking forward to grabbing a good pale ale and getting a voice channel just to talk complete crap with you.

The picture of the Tauren in the snow is awesome. I plan on bringing up my fishing skill to 300, just like back in the day.

1 hour ago, Outstanding said:

Undead have a distinct advantage....  

Druids too.

50 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

Corrector in chief has arrived? Actually I am not so certain this is the case. The Arcanite version was released in 1.12 right? Whereas the FC-5000 was the version released in 1.7 with the actual event.

The horde quest for the FC-5000 came in with 1.4 on Nost. (hopefully it'll be available from launch here, as it's not a raid-related rep quest)

Edited by Momonn

1 hour ago, Outstanding said:

Why don't we petition the devs to ensure they release the Arcanite version for the fishing event as 1) Not really a game-breaker and 2) makes it worthwhile getting if you already have the cheesy horde reward from <deleted> I saw what you did there!!! @Soyoen@Arthas

PS. Thanks guys, great to see fishing buddies out there. Looking forward to grabbing a good pale ale and getting a voice channel just to talk complete crap with you.

No, the Arcanite Fishing Pole was released with the event in Patch 1.7. We thus, luckily, don't have to petition the devs ^_^

bCvjigV.jpg

Added image for reference.

Edited by Arthas

Sounds good, happy to see you on Sundays shortly, will just make sure I have epic mount and HS bound.... 

On 10. 8. 2016 at 8:46 PM, Outstanding said:

Always take whatever is in the pot regardless of worth so that it respawns.

This cannot be stressed enough. Not just in this specific case either. When looting a chest in the wild, ALWAYS TAKE EVERYTHING. Unfortunately there are people with the intelligence of a sea cucumber out there, so usually the chests end up with two grey items and a cheese for majority of their existence.

I think I asked @Darkrasp once if he could make a chest that's been opened (and looted from, but not entirely) despawn after 3 minutes or so and begin its respawn like normal.

never fish from another angler's fishing pool, it's just plain rude.

At least unlike gathering nodes, where if you aggro a mob, some scumbag can steal it from you, in this case you can block the view of his bobber.

That aside for a moment, fishing is perhaps the greatest side profession of them all (well, of all three of them). It complements cooking in an unbelievably convenient way, to the point I usually skill cooking solely from fishing (unless I happen to kill mobs dropping some tasty meat while partaking in some other venture) up until skill 260 or so. Depends on ho easily that particular server allows you to catch the seasonal/daily fish (then I go on to gathering bear asses for kabobs, and then it's desert dumplings - if on TBC, I then go fishing again). 
It makes you see the world! That's a given for the secondary professions. Cooking and FA send you to Ashenvale, Stromgarde, Tanaris and Theramore. Aside from the first one, all populated places. Well, fishing shows you the wonders of inland Feralas, coastal Desolace and Swamp of Sorrows, with a brief stop in Stranglethorn. And if you're like me, that's on levels where you shouldn't be doing anything near those places. It's priceless.

Edited by Xaverius

Man, I love this content even though I was aware of it. You sir give new depths to the plainest of things.

Every single server i play i always level up cooking + fishing.
It gives me great pleasure to level those professions, for me they are the most fun professions in the game =)
Also i love farming for the Big iron fishing pole

Edited by ClawzTheMeow

58 minutes ago, ilovecats said:

Fishing is my favourite profession, no joke.

Did we group for Gnomeregan yesterday? xD

Derailing the thread. Bad Eli.

4 minutes ago, Elicas said:

Did we group for Gnomeregan yesterday? xD

Derailing the thread. Bad Eli.

No, I don't play on that server lol

16 hours ago, ilovecats said:

Fishing is my favourite profession, no joke.

Pretty sure iv only leveled fishing to max once, after that iv used either own built bot or 3rd party bots. Since the only time i could be arsed to level it was when you are in vent with a buch of guildies just talking shit and relaxing :) 

Always worth getting because it doesn't bind. You can eventually hock the thing later and get some of your gold back. It's the same deal with most bags. Or you can bounce it to your next character if for some reason, you want to work up another fisher.

4 hours ago, Drain said:

Always worth getting because it doesn't bind. You can eventually hock the thing later and get some of your gold back. It's the same deal with most bags. Or you can bounce it to your next character if for some reason, you want to work up another fisher.

Good point. Time to amend original post